DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

World Cup 2014

redarm

Wow... (was just watching the daily show, and he joked we won 6-0)

I thought the USA only had a 0.02% chance to win anything in this world cup?

While they're no where near being favorites, and have a hellish group with Germany, Portugal, and Ghana, they still had around a 30% chance to beat Ghana. If they can shut down Ronaldo (easier said than done) they may have a chance against Portugal. Germany though... Good luck with that.

why are they calling that group the group of death? In my opinion its one of the easier groups

Ghana reached the quarterfinals of the last World Cup, and should have been in the semis. Portugal have Ronaldo, and almost always perform well in the finals. And Germany is Germany. There are no weak teams, unlike Australia in group B with Spain, Netherlands, and Chile, though they weren't bad against Chile. Costa Rica's upset against Uruguay might make group D the toughest though.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... (was just watching the daily show, and he joked we won 6-0)

I thought the USA only had a 0.02% chance to win anything in this world cup?

While they're no where near being favorites, and have a hellish group with Germany, Portugal, and Ghana, they still had around a 30% chance to beat Ghana. If they can shut down Ronaldo (easier said than done) they may have a chance against Portugal. Germany though... Good luck with that.

why are they calling that group the group of death? In my opinion its one of the easier groups

Ghana reached the quarterfinals of the last World Cup, and should have been in the semis. Portugal have Ronaldo, and almost always perform well in the finals. And Germany is Germany. There are no weak teams, unlike Australia in group B with Spain, Netherlands, and Chile, though they weren't bad against Chile. Costa Rica's upset against Uruguay might make group D the toughest though.

I really don't think that's that tough of a group. Especially considering some of the other groupings.

on a different note I am really enjoying this Mexico Brazil game

I really don't think that's that tough of a group. Especially considering some of the other groupings.

on a different note I am really enjoying this Mexico Brazil game

Other than the two I brought up?

Poor Brazil. Excellent Ochoa. The brazilians are going to need to step it up a notch if they want to win this thing.

Well the first giant falls, what has happened to Spain? They have made Chile and Holland look better than they are. Australia gave both of them a better challenge, while both Chile and Holland are good I don't think either one will win it. Spain are finished end of a era.

Two very exciting games. 

I knew we would lose against the Nederlands, but Australia can be proud of what they have done. I think the next world cup we will see a decent Australian side considering 9 of the 11 starting players were all young and untested. Their ability to hold against a 2-0 Chile lead and regain a respectable posture, then holding the Dutch at bay as they did - it shows real promise for the future. I think (and hope) some of these Australians will be sought after by some good clubs, considering most of them play in the Australian A-League - which is a sub-par competition at best, they need to move up because they will just stagnate here in Aus. All in all, I'm surprised, but proud of how they played. 

And Spain... What a disaster. First up, terrible line-up and substitutions IMO. Costa shouldn't have started, Villa or Mata would be preferable. Also Fabregas should have played, at least substituted on. Torres and Koke were terrible substitutions, and Santi was too late and Spain to defeated to make a difference. 

What a great Chilean performance though - despite the dramatics. They may even come out top of the table, although I think the Australia game may have shocked the Dutch out of their complacency. 

Anyone know if any Chilean players got 2 yellows? The Dutch are out Van Persie in their match.

I don't believe so, but it was 5-7am in the morning after an all-nighter for me, so I may have missed something. 

Also, yep, Cameroon were doomed. 4-0 Croatia. 

And the Cameroon players didn't even need the Croatians! They fight amongst themselves. Seems like trouble in the Cameroon camp (I watched on mute, so I didn't get the commentary) 

1-1 tie. Suarez scores in the 89th.

Good news! Suarez hasn't played for 6 weeks its unlikely he will last for 89 mins. Plus I think the Uruguay defense is suspect I think we' ll score more than one.

Fine. Uruguay wins 3-0, Suarez scores a hatrick in 30 minutes before getting sent off for munching on Gerrard's arm. Rooney misses an open goal in the 70th and gets sent off himself for stomping on Cavani's crotch.

Happy now?

1-1 tie. Suarez scores in the 89th.

Good news! Suarez hasn't played for 6 weeks its unlikely he will last for 89 mins. Plus I think the Uruguay defense is suspect I think we' ll score more than one.
Fine. Uruguay wins 3-0, Suarez scores a hatrick in 30 minutes before getting sent off for munching on Gerrard's arm. Rooney misses an open goal in the 70th and gets sent off himself for stomping on Cavani's crotch.

Happy now?

No but I guess its more realistic than suarez scoring in the 89 th.

Archived