DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

World Cup 2014

redarm

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alonso to make it 1-0 Spain. 

Unfortunate it is a penalty: probably shouldn't have been, but on the first instinct, it did look like one.  Spain have been doing well though.  

(and I don't like Netherlands)

Edit: The team, that is, nothing against Dutch in general :P

I wouldn't feel sorry for Australia, I certainly don't. The coach did not pick the best side for the Cup. Knowing the draw, he opted to play it strategically and cut the older, more experienced players for young ones in anticipation for the next World Cup campaign. Strategically, it does make sense, but it meant they had given up on any WC hopes this year, which is somewhat cheap for the almost-30,000 Australian fans that travelled to Brasil to see their country. 

The match played out much better than I thought, to be honest. 

Chile's great start was as expected. A team full of young, inexperienced players - the nerves got to them, and they played poorly. Chile are a good side, and it was easy enough to capitalize on the mistakes. 

Making it back into the game and stunning Chile in the second half was an unexpected pleasure. Unfortunately, I think it would have been a possible draw, even a victory if they had just kept an experienced defender in the team instead of going all out with the youth. 

Damn it I fell asleep around the 35th minute. Not that the game was bad, but I was just exhausted and had to get up about 5 hours later... Glad to see Australia went down fighting. Been a pretty good tournament so far, putting aside the refereeing mistakes.

ahah yeah, its ironic the biggest problem fifa had with goal line tech is that they didnt want it to distract from the game. But they seem determined to remind us its there every time someone scores. Not like the PL where the ref wears a band on his wrists that vibrates when the ball crosses the line.

Great show from Australia; it felt like they were in it up until that third goal in extra time.  Honestly felt it could go either way the way Cahill and Leckie were playing.  This is exactly what I want to see during the cup.  Strong showings from the Croats and Aussies, all played tight, attacking better than the score lines suggested.  

ahah yeah, its ironic the biggest problem fifa had with goal line tech is that they didnt want it to distract from the game. But they seem determined to remind us its there every time someone scores. Not like the PL where the ref wears a band on his wrists that vibrates when the ball crosses the line.

lol yeah they showed a goal that was pretty ordinary.  They slowed it down as it approached the line, showed it in slow-motion moving over the line, and then a few inches past and that was it.  I didn't see arc or direction or spin speed/direction, or anything remotely interesting.  I was confused why they were showing it at all.  Now, when Wilkinson saved the ball on the goal line and they showed how far it moved over the line, that was a decent application for us viewers at home.

Not really a surprise there. Colombia has a great line-up. They are similar to Chile in the respect nobody really expects them to actually be any good. 

Let's hope Greece unleash some Hellenistic pride to make things interesting.

I always expect the South Americans to do well, they may be overshadowed by Brazil and Uruguay but still they are all strong teams.

Not really a surprise there. Colombia has a great line-up. They are similar to Chile in the respect nobody really expects them to actually be any good. 

Let's hope Greece unleash some Hellenistic pride to make things interesting.

I always expect the South Americans to do well, they may be overshadowed by Brazil and Uruguay but still they are all strong teams.

Definitely. Although Greece has shown some mettle after that goal. They hit back hard and finished the half strong. 

Archived