DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Some help with Raymond E. Feist please :)

Fantasy Fan

So, I'd like to read some more of Feists work because I enjoyed reading his first book from A conclave of shadows so much.

If i'm going to get into his work I think I should start at the beginning. This is how I was planning on reading his series of work

1 The Riftwar-Series

2 Serpentwar-Series

3 The Empire-Sequence (with Janny Wurts)

4 The Serpentwar-Saga

5 The Riftwar Legacy

6 The Conclave of Shadows

One last thing before I go. I was at the book store the other day and saw that Magician was broken into 2 books now. I take it the Apprentice comes first followed by Master?

Ne feed back is greatly appreciated :)

I'm in the process of reading the Riftwar saga now. The Magician book, which is book 1 of the series, is mostly available in a two parts.

Magician - Apprentice and Magician - Master. Apprentice is obviously the first.

The Empire Trilogy is orders of magnitude better than any of his other work. It's bizarre - Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts are both okay to good by themselves, but together they pulled off some real magic.

I agree.

Also, to amend your reading order, if you wish to read it in chronological order of occurence, rather than order of publication, it goes like this:

The Riftwar - Series (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon)

The Empire - Sequence (Daughter, Servant, and Mistress of the Empire)

The Riftwar Legacy (Krondor: The Betrayal, Assasins, and Tear of the Gods)

Serpentwat - Series (Prince of the Blood, The King's Buccaneer)

The Serpentwar Saga (Shadow of a Dark Queen, Rise of a Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, Shards of a Broken Crown)

The Conclave of Shadows (Talon of the Silver Hawk, King of Foxes, Exile's Return)

and, the all new:

Darkwar Saga (Flight of the Nighthawks, others forthcoming)

It really makes no difference ... reading them in either order will make them understandable.

*nods*

Can't waste this opportunity to plug my second favourite fantasy series, lol. Definately the Empire Trilogy! If you find at any stage you don't like the others... the trilogy can be read on it's own :D

Wow, thanks to everyone who replied so far!

I noticed that a bunch of the characters from Talon of the Silver Hawk are from some of the previous books. So my reason for reading all the series in order is just because i'd like to have as much background info on the characters as I can. So thank you for giving me the list Robert.

hmmmmmmmm

Seems that the Empire Trilogy is a big hit. Ive seen many people recommend it (including you Egwene...many times :)) in some of the other threads here on dragonmount. Sooooooooo, I think i'm gonna pick up the Empire trilogy tomorrow so I can take a quick break from The Malazan series by Erikson(which btw, is incredible so far).

thanks again everyone!

:oops: hmmm... guess I have mentioned it once... or twice... :wink:

Though I loved the Feist books overall... there is one which I was very dissappointed with. I think it was the 'Murder in LaMut' one, from memory. I thought it was a badly written 'who dunnit' and it nearly put me off bying the next book that came out. Thank God, since Talon, Feist seems to be back on track.

I love it when old favourites reappear books later... and the more the new Darkwar series goes on, the more it ties in with the old books.

I haven't read the Malazan series yet... my hubby loved it, so it is on my list for the future.

Guest Winespring Brother
So' date=' I'd like to read some more of Feists work because I enjoyed reading his first book from A conclave of shadows so much.

If i'm going to get into his work I think I should start at the beginning. This is how I was planning on reading his series of work

1 The Riftwar-Series

2 Serpentwar-Series

3 The Empire-Sequence (with Janny Wurts)

4 The Serpentwar-Saga

5 The Riftwar Legacy

6 The Conclave of Shadows

One last thing before I go. I was at the book store the other day and saw that Magician was broken into 2 books now. I take it the Apprentice comes first followed by Master?

Ne feed back is greatly appreciated :)[/quote']

Definitely worth the read, but I would go for more of a chronological order in reading the books I think. People die and its best not to know it all by reading out of order.

Magician

Silverthorn

A Darkness at Sethanon

Honoured Enemy - During Magician

Murder in LaMut - During Magician

Jimmy the Hand Starts - During Magician

Daughter of the Empire Starts During Magician

Servant of the Empire

Mistress of the Empire

Krondor: The Betrayal

Krondor: The Assassins

Krondor: Tear of the Gods

Prince of the Blood

The Kings Buccaneer

Shadow of a Dark Queen

Rise of a Merchant Prince

Rage of a Demon King

Shards of a Broken Crown

The italic ones aren't that great in my opinion, and definitely aren't necessary

The italic ones aren't that great in my opinion, and definitely aren't necessary

I agree with that assessment. I didn't even include them in my list, because they are written by other authors playing in Feist's world. Sometimes this works (the non-Asimov Foundation novels come to mind) but in this case it didn't. I would recommend not reading them. They have no influence on the overall story anyway.

I do however fully agree with the ringing endorsements others have given the Empire Trilogy. Mara of the Acoma is one of the best characters in all of fantasy, in my opinion.

Could you imagine someone making that trilogy into a film? It could be absolutely spectacular. A visual feast!

I did enjoy the 'Honoured Enemy' book from that list of italics.

Yep, Honoured Enemy is the very best Riftwar novel of them all bar only Magician and The Empire Trilogy. If Feist announced tommorrow that he was retiring and handing over the series to Fortschen, this would not be a bad move IMO.

I think others have nailed the reading order, but to reiterate:

The Riftwar Saga

Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon

The Empire Trilogy

(Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire)

Legends of the Riftwar

(Honoured Enemy, Murder in LaMut, Jimmy the Hand)

The Riftwar Legacy

(Krondor: The Betrayal, Krondor: The Asssassins, Krondor: The Tear of the Gods)

warning: these books are very, very, very lame

Prince of the Blood

The King's Bucaneer

The Serpentwar Saga

(Shadow of a Dark Queen, Rise of a Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, Shards of a Broken Crown)

The Conclave of Shadows

(Talon of the Silver Hawk, King of Foxes, Exile's Return)

The Darkwar Saga

(Flight of the Nighthawkes, Into a Dark Realm, Wrath of a Mad God)

The Demonwar Saga

The Godswar Saga

(both forthcoming)

Nice choice of names sofar, Ell, if you have a few more babies we'll soon be able to deduct the complete content of your bookshelf :wink:

Wow, I cant honestly say that I wasn't expecting thisss much feedback. This is great.

Sadly enough, the book store yesterday did not have ne of the Empire books :(, so those will have to wait a while longer. On the other hand, I was able to pick up both copies of Magician (was the first time I had seen Apprentice in a book store) so it wasn't a complete loss!

BTW Egwene. I think that you will really enjoy reading The Malazan series. I think you should give it a try once uve got some time :).

Thanks again for all the feedback people!

Guest Winespring Brother

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I thought the Empire trilogy was boring :P

And you should defo read the Malazan books!

So far I am enjoying Magician. Just finished Apprentice and am now on Master.

Winespring, I am in the middle of reading the Malazan books. I finished Memories of Ice about a week ago and instead of diving into House of Chains (another 1000 page book) I wanted to read a few smaller ones.

Thanks for holding him down, Robert!

*sounds of screams from Winespring*

Right... that over... don't get blinded by the comment of this one unworthy individual. The fact that there are many, many others that thourougly enjoyed the empire trilogy makes him the exception that prooves the rule!

*glares :evil: in the direction of Winespring*

Archived