DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Should have been Shaidar Haran vs Fain/Mordeth at the last battle

warsong

In my opinion, a confrontation between Shaidar Haran and Fain/Mordeth would have been fantastic. Then the buildup of the evil vs "anti-evil" showdown would have happened as alluded to in the series.

Shaidar Haran( Avatar of the Dark One) fighting Fain/Mordeth(a force of its own). Would they destroy each other in a similar fashion as Shadar Logoth destroyed the Dark One's taint at the cleansing? Would one destroy the other?

This would be better than finding the husk of Shaidar Haran at Moridin's feet, how did that happen???

If they killed each other or one triumphed, their storylines now feel like they have greater value. 

If Fain/Mordeth wins, then it could be killed by Mat without changing a thing. If Shaidar Haren won, we could have seen Cadsuane step up and show us why she is a legend. Maybe Cadsuane could have used an object from her paralis-net that we had not seen yet. 

One on one duels add relevance to character story-lines and give closure to the readers.

Please post any other potential duels that could have been included in the final book that would have added only a couple of extra pages to the book, yet increased the depth and richness of a wonderfully crafted story that spanned decades in the making .

Considering how powerful Mordeth/Fain/Shisam fog was at the end I am not sure what if anything Shaidar Haren could of done because as soon as he got close the fog would of had him.   As for Shaidar Haren laying dead at Moridin's feet, Moridin said the husk had given birth to the blackness behind him.  So it seems the body was just being used as a host.  I am not a fan of the just finding it dead, it would of been nice had a little been written about what had happened to it.   Problem is there are very few people who could of fought Mordeth, it would of had to of been Mat or a channler that could of killed him from a distance. 

Prologue TOM Padan Fain POV - Fain walks through the Blight carrying the ruby dagger. The sky is black. The only emotion he has left is hatred for Rand and the Dark One. He keeps cutting himself with the blade but he does not care. He was once Fain, once Mordeth, but he needs a new name now. He just finished killing a Worm. They make a lot of noise, so he hopes any Trollocs nearby will send scouts to investigate. Sure enough, a group of Trollocs led by a Myrddraal appear. A mist comes out of the ground. It kills the Fade and turns the Trollocs into zombies of some sort.4 Fain no longer hunts Rand. He plans to meet him at Shayol Ghul.

The stage was set...

Shaidar Haran was not a normal WOT creature. He was the avatar for the Dark One, with powers which could have been revealed as the showdown commenced.  Meanwhile Mordeth/Fain/Shisam fog was not near as vast or powerful as Mashadar. I believe the Dark One's avatar would have inherent protection against Mordeth/Fain/Shisam fog and the dagger as well as the ability to attack on different levels.

Remember the Fain part of the creature was the Dark One's hound so that could be the Achilles heel so to speak.  Lastly, we do not know if Shaidar Haran would have been able to use the True Power, it is a gift of the Dark One.

There were many things that could have been. I was speculating in the kingdom of "what if" and wondered if anyone else had something they would have liked to see. 
I have read the entire series multiple times and nothing needs to be added that will change my opinion that it is a literary masterpiece.The ending of the story and individual story lines left enough room to leave fans talking about what might have happened if....

Archived