DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Channelers's life longevity

Two things that bug me:

1. We know female channelers live very long. Some of them, like the Kin, for over four centuries. Are the male channelers going to live that long also now that the taint is gone?

2. Rand and the three girls. Now, without the ability to channel, he is going to live as long as any ordinary man. After him and Min are gone it is going to be only Avi and Elayne. And if Elayne's kids don't have the gift, she would outlive her husband AND her kids.

The same is valid for Lan & Nynaeve and Tom and Moiraine. Lan and especially Tom are considerably older than their women so they won't be around for that long.

So it turns out Avi, Nyn, Elayne and Moiraine have a pretty bad deal and are left on a cliffhanger. Unlike ordinary women they are going to spend most of their lives without their halves. Unless they find new men over and over again. I really wish Robert Jordan had thought of some way for Lan, Rand and Tom to live longer or at least to be shown what is happening with the girls years after their deaths.

I think is pretty unfair for those who have invested in them. The ending is too inconclusive Have YOU thought about it?

True. The Wheel of Time is the only story I've ever read that that had me thinking and wondering about it after I had set the book down and went off to do other things. So for me the ending was perfect. There's just so much mystery left to think about. I finished the AMoL months ago, and I still can't stop thinking about it. I've all but forgotten ASoIaF and it's one of my favorite series. It's got more mature themes sure, but what it lacks is a sense of mystery and wonder...at least for me.

I haven't looked at it this way but you got me thinking. In every book is said "There is no beginning and ending in the Wheel of time". So maybe the open ending of the series is some sign of the basic idea. The eternal circuit. When I look at it in that perspective, it feels more suitable to me.

Two things that bug me:

1. We know female channelers live very long. Some of them, like the Kin, for over four centuries. Are the male channelers going to live that long also now that the taint is gone?

Yes. We know male AS in the AoL, such as LTT, lived for centuries.

2. Rand and the three girls. Now, without the ability to channel, he is going to live as long as any ordinary man. After him and Min are gone it is going to be only Avi and Elayne. And if Elayne's kids don't have the gift, she would outlive her husband AND her kids.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that just because Rand can't channel any more, doesn't mean he's necessarily stuck with an ordinary human life span - he wasn't gentled, and ordinary humans can't do what he did with his pipe. So how long he'll live is very much an open question.

The same is valid for Lan & Nynaeve and Tom and Moiraine. Lan and especially Tom are considerably older than their women so they won't be around for that long.

So it turns out Avi, Nyn, Elayne and Moiraine have a pretty bad deal and are left on a cliffhanger. Unlike ordinary women they are going to spend most of their lives without their halves. Unless they find new men over and over again. I really wish Robert Jordan had thought of some way for Lan, Rand and Tom to live longer or at least to be shown what is happening with the girls years after their deaths.

I think is pretty unfair for those who have invested in them. The ending is too inconclusive Have YOU thought about it?

Isn't that life? Things continue to happen, the world goes on. Some people die young, others live to a ripe old age.

There might be some chance of Rand chanelling again.  Perhaps some channeler could Heal him; very likely Nynaeve since she has at least an indication of he being alive and since she is very strong in Healing.

Not entirely sure, but lifespans might have changed either at the turn of the Age or during Tarmon Gaidon.

To heal Rand would of meant he has been burnt out or gentled.  One of the sign of either of those is noting wanting to live anymore.  Rand doesn't show any signs of that so there might be nothing to heal.  His not being able to channel might simply be a side effect of the body swap.  We know if the DO stuffs you in another body your soul still can channel, but who knows what the effects are of two living people actually changing bodies.  I assumed all the power Rand was using burnt him out but he doesn't behave like one who has lost the ability to channel is said to behave.

Two things that bug me:

Yes. We know male AS in the AoL, such as LTT, lived for centuries.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that just because Rand can't channel any more, doesn't mean he's necessarily stuck with an ordinary human life span - he wasn't gentled, and ordinary humans can't do what he did with his pipe. So how long he'll live is very much an open question.

Isn't that life? Things continue to happen, the world goes on. Some people die young, others live to a ripe old age.

Also people who die in randland, die knowing their going to be reborn, which must be a great comfort, knowing that themselves and their loved ones will live again. They might not be able to remember their past lives but it must make death that little bit more bearable knowing their not going to oblivion, which is more than we have in our world, unless you have faith of course.

Two things that bug me:

Well, then ending was not written by Robert Jordan, so we don't know at all what was his big plan. (If we accept Sanderson's ending then we could see that Rand is a (demi)god who can do anything. He will heal everyone/do justice etc. etc. without paparazzis*. He will be a Wather 10.0 or something like that.)

He was basically Hemingway's 'heir', and if we follow this theory, we'll run into this:

A Farewell to Arms are being published for the first time in the US.  A new edition of the book, published by Scribner. Hemingway famously revealed that he re-wrote the ending 39 times to get the words right, although the actual figure was 47.

OOOOOOppssss!!!

Plus, I totally agree with damandred:

Also people who die in randland, die knowing their going to be reborn, which must be a great comfort, knowing that themselves and their loved ones will live again. They might not be able to remember their past lives but it must make death that little bit more bearable knowing their not going to oblivion, which is more than we have in our world, unless you have faith of course.

Plus two: we know there is no free will in Randland, and that fact gives them another comfort.

she would outlive her husband AND her kids.

That's why intelligent AS doesn't bear any child(ren).

Unless they find new men over and over again.

They won't. First, when you have a 'soulmate', after him/her nobody will satisfy you. Ever. Second, my ending looks like this: 'victory' over the DO, then they open the Book of Translation and they will go into another dimension/planet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potential_habitable_exoplanets And who knows what will happen to them there? (Without Mat and Tuon, of course.)

So it turns out Avi, Nyn, Elayne and Moiraine have a pretty bad deal and are left on a cliffhanger. Unlike ordinary women they are going to spend most of their lives without their halves.

Have you seen 47 ronin? Or Liebelei (the film is better than the play, I mean the second film: RS+AD)?

* Randland is a modified Spain (I like this theory so much), so there will be problems but who knows: he will change his body all the time. Maybe.

It seems to me that Rand got burned out right after the last weave he did.

I take any burned-out/severed channeler could have channeling restored; not just the ones that lost will to live.

Different people could respond differently to the same kind of circumstances.

• 6 months later...

Archived