DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aiel and sea foke male channelers

badhead

how do you think both groups will deal with this after the taint and the story is over.  Would male channelers from both groups just join the black tower?  Or would both the aiel and Sea foke come up with there own way of training young male channelers. If so how do you think it would work?

Unless members from the BT splinter and offer to teach these men, I can't see them learning through trial and error. IIRC, male channelers have a higher fatality rate than females, when unguided. (Confirmation or refutation welcomed) Of course, the future of the BT is up in the air, as well.

I suspect they'll come to an agreement similar to that now existing between the White Tower, Wise Ones and Windfinders. Initially they'll train in the BT, then split off to their own cultures.

Learning on their own would be pretty stupid. Only 1 out of 4 will survive and they'll be pretty ignorant of the way saidin works. They'll have to either join the BT, or make a deal with the Asha'man. I can't see either the Aiel or the Sea Folk accepting the first, but then I highly doubt Logain will be willing to give out training and knowledge without something quite significant in return.

The books tell 1 in 4 chance for both genders to survive.

In Gathering Storm, Rand asked a Sea Folk person what they did with male channelers.

The answer was that those Sea Folk men were given a choice:

-step off their boat holding a stone that is tied to their legs

-be dropped off a barren isle without food or water

Right after, Rand told that saidin was cleansed and that the practice must stop.  The reply was that they were told of saidin being clean and that it was difficult to accept.

When the Sea Folk accept the fact of saidin being clean, they might send their men to be tested.

In some earlier book (do not remember which book), an Aiel told Rand that their channeling men went to the Blight; not sure if it was that they were sent or that they chose to go.

From skimming Memory of Light, it seems that Aviendha considered stopping that practice.  Do not remember which chapter; the scene was after facing some male channelers that were Aiel.

• 3 months later...

In Towers of Midnight, during one of Avi's future visions, I noticed the Aiel referring to the Wise Ones and the "Dragon Blooded".  I don't remember much more than that reference, but it seemed to imply the Dragon Blooded were the male equivalent of Wise Ones.  So, even with the future being changed, male channelers having an honored place in Aiel society is probably something that would still happen.

They might have to send the men to the black tower since unlike women there will be no one among the aiel or the sea folk at first to guide or teach the men.  Unless they come to some sort of agreement with the black tower to teach enough aiel or sea folk that they can start to do it on their own.  Might be the same with the sea folk, they will send enough to the black tower, then those come back and start training their own. 

there might be some chance of "Dragon Blooded" meaning descendants of the Dragon Reborn.

if not, male equivalent of Wise Ones could be likely.

Another possibility for the term could be a sub-section of chiefs (clan and/or sept); or their entirety.

how do you think both groups will deal with this after the taint and the story is over.  Would male channelers from both groups just join the black tower?  Or would both the aiel and Sea foke come up with there own way of training young male channelers. If so how do you think it would work?

Aiel channelers not wise ones?  If it was still 3rd age they would delightfully pound the trollocs mercilessly.  4th age?  Male windfinders wouldn't be amiss, but for the Aiel?  Healers will probably be plentiful as very few Wise Ones can heal.  It would be a step towards them once again rejoining the Way of the Leaf, though there are always the Sharans now that need to be dealt with, the mad channelers on the Isle of the Madmen, and all of Seanchan that is not yet bound by their Empress' Treaty that needs to be brought to order.  Tons of things still left to fix.  Seanchan and Shara are half the world so the Outriggers would have been pretty interesting.

Well you saw in AMOL even with the taint gone the aiel men who found they could channel still were going to the waste.  I think its going to take some effort to get both the aiel and sea folk to come to grips with the taint not being there.  The biggest issue and the reason more then likely they are going to need help from the black tower is identifying the men who can channel and trying to safely guide them to touching the source so you avoid the 1 in 3 survive on their own.  Also the men still need to learn how not only to touch the source but how to do anything with it.  Neither nation has the ability to help them with that yet.  The sea folk especially not liking to be away from the sea aren't going to want to all go to the black tower.  So I could see a deal being made where the black tower sends trainers to both groups with the option of joining the black tower or maybe as Egwene was doing making the females who can't or don't want to join the white tower still have a connection to the tower.

From what I have skimmed of Memory of Light, all of Rand's Aiel went with him to Shayol Ghul to protect him from other enemies while he fought the Dark One.  And from what I skimmed of that book, the only male Aiel channelers I found were fighting for the Shadow; I take they went to the Blight before the start of the main series.

Also, it is 1 in 4 that survive on their own (both genders); not 1 in 3.

I was referring to when Isam was meeting with Lanfear at the "town" and he saw the carriages go by with the black hooded figures riding along side it.  Isam thought to himself he didn't need to see inside the curtained carriages to know 13 women rode inside.  He thought "so another had been caught"  Isam would have assumed the practice had ended, once the taint had been cleansed. So led me to believe another male aiel discovered he could channel and went to the blight and like the others was captured and was going to be turned. So he was referring to the practice of heading to the blight to die.  Seems DF aiel probably reported everytime a male aiel headed to the blight an were ambushed.  Even though the taint was gone the aiel were still heading to the bight to die.  Either they didn't know, didn't believe, or just the custom was so old they just automatically went to the blight when they discovered they could channel.

All of the aiel didn't go with rand.  That would of been a couple of hundred thousand.  Many stayed with Mat, there was a passage of Mat getting a report of Bashere, and something like 5 aiel clan chiefs dying and no one was in charge of a certain area now.

the encyclopaedia site tells that the meeting was with either Cyndane or Hessalam; Lanfear had been dead for some time by then.

from my understanding, all male Aiel in the main series were either too old or too young to show the spark.

I think the last battle would of gone a long way to changing attitudes towards male channelers with Rand the savior of the world being a male channeler and the regard Logain and the asha'man are held in afterwards by the common people they saved. I think that Mins viewing about Logain was the patterns way of changing the world's views on the men. No doubt in rural areas the stigma will persist for a while, but all the world's leaders know that saidin was cleaned and from there the knowledge will spread, though it may take a long time before it's universally accepted.

As for the sea folk and Aiel I don't know what else they could do but send their channelers to the BT for training, though when enough have been taught to teach others they may form groups within their own communities.

the encyclopaedia site tells that the meeting was with either Cyndane or Hessalam; Lanfear had been dead for some time by then.

from my understanding, all male Aiel in the main series were either too old or too young to show the spark.

Lanfear is or was, Cyndane the DO transferred her soul when Moridin killed her in Finland.

Couldn't remember her name so still call her Lanfear.  More than likely it was Lanfear (Cyndane) he met with seeing how she was wearing Moridin's colors of black and red.  As for the male aiel being too old or young to show the spark, most the aiel never appeared in the series so it would be impossible to say every single male aiel at that time couldn't show the spark. Isam seemed to think it was another captured aiel.

Archived