DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The work of a Novice

The chores were assigned during breakfast. An Accepted read off the list of chores and told each novice what she would be doing today.

"Novice Nateera Raychon, you will be working in the laundry today. Report to the Head Laundress as soon as you finish breakfast."

"Yes, Accepted."

She quickly finished breakfast and left to find the Head Laundress.

"Where do you wish me to work, Mistress? I have been assigned to Laundry today."

"You may begin at the third laundry station. I expect you to work, not lolligag. Is that clear, Novice?"

"It is very clear, Mistress. I will do my very best for you." She curtsied, went to her station, and began by rolling up her sleeves.Then she plunged her hands into the hot, soapy water and began scrubbing vigorously.

After two hours,  she realized that it was time for class. She dried her hands and went to class. Immediately after class, she returned to the laundry and resumed her duties.

As she worked, she thought about what had been learned today.

As she hung the laundry, it became very tempting to use Saidar to finish the job. No, I must not use the One Power without an Accepted or Aes Sedai supervising. I don't want to burn the ability out of myself involuntarily. I don't think I could live with that. Better safe than sorry, as mother used to say.

After supper, she went back to her room, undressed, washed and went to bed. In just a few minutes she was asleep. Tomorrow would be a new day full of learning and chores.

• 4 weeks later...

Nateera awoke to a room full of sunlight. Her curtains were wide open. She closed the curtains, dressed for the day, and went to breakfast.

She heard a lot of giggling as she entered the dining hall. There were a few novices talking about some kind of prank that one of them had pulled. Nateera simply went past them to the kitchen to pick up her breakfast tray.

An Accepted came in and gave them their assignments for the day's chores. Nateera was sent back to the laundry by request of the Head Laundress. It seemed that the lady was favorably impressed with her work ethic.

Nateera finished her breakfast and reported to the laundry. "Which station should I take today, Mistress? I was told that you asked for me. Thank you for your trust."

"Take the same station you had yesterday, novice. Prove to me that I was correct about your willingness to do whatever assignment I give you."

She worked for three hours, went to two classes, and returned to the laundry. After another hour, she went to lunch. Immediately upon finishing her lunch, she returned to work. 

She began humming to herself as she worked. It was a tune that her mother had sung to put her to sleep as a child. It did not cause the same response now, though. 

After she finished her chores for the day, Nateera walked back to her room. She was thinking about the things that she had learned in the last few days. 

• 1 month later...

After breakfast, Nateera went to her History lesson. As she walked to class, she hummed a little tune and thought about her life as a novice. So far, she thought it was wonderful because she was learning things that she didn't know existed. 

I will do my very best to remember everything that I should. I only wish I could practice my weaves without supervision. 

After her history lesson, she went to do her chores. Today she would be scrubbing floors in the dormitories. Nateera didn't even mind scrubbing floors because it gave her time to reflect on everything that she had been taught to this point. 

She looked up and saw the Aes Sedai who had brought her here. Quickly she got up off her knees and curtsied. "Good morning, Aes Sedai."

"Good morning, novice. Be sure not to miss any spots or the Mistress of Novices will be calling you into her office. Are you happy in your new home?"

"Oh yes, Aes Sedai. I am very happy."

"Have you faithfully attended your lessons, such as Introduction to Saidar and not tried to practice without supervision?"

"Yes, Aes Sedai. I promised I would not let you down and I am doing everything I can to keep that promise, but it is very hard not to give in to the temptation to practice without supervision."

"Good. Show me how you would use Saidar to dry this floor in an area about one foot square."

Nateera carefully embraced Saidar, fashioned the necessary weave and dried the area as instructed. As soon as she had completed this task, she released Saidar.

• 4 weeks later...

"Good. Remember, do not give in to the temptation and one day you will be Aes Sedai. Study hard. I will be watching you, as will all Aes Sedai."

"I will remember. You have my word of honor on that."

"Return to your chores now, novice. You don't want the Mistress of Novices calling you into her office."

Nateera immediately returned to scrubbing the floor. I will always remember what she told me. I will be Aes Sedai one day.

After lunch, she went to her next two classes after which she returned to her chores. She scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed until it was time for supper. She ate her supper and went to her room to study what she had been taught today. 

She picked up her knitting and began going over everything that she had learned so far. She began with her mental notes on history. Next, she went over her notes on geography. 

Then she decided to review what she knew about Saidar. First, she reviewed the list of names of those who had burned themselves out and promised herself that she would not let this happen to her. I should go to the library as soon as I get a chance and read a bit more about these women. I would like to know as much about them as I can. 

She worked on her knitting for a short time and then went to bed. Tomorrow was a free day, so she would go to the library then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...