DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Marriage Knifes

Granthis

So my friend is reading wot for the first time through and he is just finishing LOC, When he started talking to me about marriage knives.  And we have now both come to the conclusion that we need to get our wives marriage knives. (This lead to me explaining to my wife all about marriage knives and their significance and she is now determined to make me her pretty)  However I have been searching for information, images, examples of marriage knives and the results are non existent.  So I figured I would come here to look for ideas on how where I should go about getting one.  If there are any artists that have ideas on drawing up designs or individuals who make knives and want to try and tackle the issue of how a marriage knife could be made?  I am sure I and my friend are not the only ones who would desire such items. 

Please post your thoughts, ideas on the topics and also any additional details from the books on the topic.

These are the details so far:

Knife hangs hilt down

White sheath- widow not intend to marry again.

pearls for boys, firedrops for girls in handle

white setting for girls means dead, red setting for boys means dead.

black setting means died not in duel.

blue sheath is widow that will consider marriage.

I have checked stores selling wheel of time gear but the best ive found is some t-shirts and the dragon pins.

And no she hasn't read wot yet, I'm working on her and the marriage knife explanation is helping.  I currently have an agreement that she has to read one series of my choice each time she gets pregnant.  And wot is the first on the list which is important since I want to name one of our kids Perrin and she doesn't like the name (yet).

Also trying to figure out other details as far as the marriage knife goes. such as what color is the setting if the kids are still living? and what color is the hilt if currently married?

I used to call my wedding ring set my marriage knife because my engagement ring has three SHARP diamonds on it that have left more than a fair share of scratches on my husband.

Though this was usually on "accident" i like that I have a sharp thing on my hand that can mark someone if need be.

Another place to check might be weapon selling places/sites.

Renaissance Festivals could be another.  They are generally open mid June through early August on Saturday & Sunday; 8 weekends.

If you do not find any; might have some place make it/them.

Probably check multiple places on that.  Check the prices at each place; and there might be Terms & Conditions.

An alternative to having it/them made would be to collect the pieces and make it/them yourself.  That might be less expensive.

Thanks for the replies. 

Here's the WoT Wikia entry for marriage knife.  I think it should have all the info you're looking for (including a picture of Tylin's marriage knife from The Big White Book).

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Marriage_knife

Have checked the page before and it is still leaving me in doubt on certain issues. such as what color are the settings if the kids are still alive.  As well as what color is the sheath if the husband is still alive?

Another place to check might be weapon selling places/sites.

Renaissance Festivals could be another.  They are generally open mid June through early August on Saturday & Sunday; 8 weekends.

If you do not find any; might have some place make it/them.

Probably check multiple places on that.  Check the prices at each place; and there might be Terms & Conditions.

An alternative to having it/them made would be to collect the pieces and make it/them yourself.  That might be less expensive.

Did check the local az ren faire this last time I went but the options were a little limited in the design it yourself category.  But I am going to check some of the other ren. faire sites to see if there are other options.  And I am exploring the possibility of making it myself but since I haven't made any before that is probably a long-term last ditch effort.

I might be able to help you out.  I'm a hobbyist knifemaker, and you can see my version of Tam's heronmark sword in the Welcome area.  Looks like something worth doing some research on for sure.  I'd forgotten all about marriage knives.

Crimsonfalcon thanks for the interest I was hoping there were a few hobbyist knife makers around here.  I must say I would be very interested in having you explore the option of making a marriage knife.  If you would like to message me some more in private or on here (not sure of site policy regarding discussion of making/purchasing items) if others might be interested, that would be great by me.  I have already posted most of the details I could find regarding the marriage knives.  I am also unsure as to how said beads/gems are secured in the hilt or say more are added as needed...  could they be seen from both sides or is it more of a have duplicates of said beads sticking out of either side of the hilt.  Not sure just more of those small issues you have when trying to turn the books into reality.

Please continue to respond with thoughts and options.

• Community Administrator

I believe if a child is alive, the setting is white.  If dead, it's black. 

This might be something you need to approach Team Jordan about.  Contact Brandon on his website, and he might be able to forward the question.  Maria would probably be the best person to ask.

Mashiara Sedai,

Thank you, I just wrote a message to Brandon Sanderson on his webpage as you suggested.  So hopefully will hear something back soon and we will learn some previously unknown details about the wheel of time.  Also I double checked and it is Fire-drop with white setting for dead daughters (presumed in duel), pearl with red setting for dead sons (presumed in duel), and black setting for either if dead not in a duel.

• Community Administrator

If you hear anything, please let us know! I wish I had know of this sooner, I would have asked Maria at JordanCon a few weekends ago.

I'm always interested in learning more about the Wheel of Time!

• 11 months later...

Been one year and have not heard anything from Brandon Sanderson or team Jordan on this topic.  Also wondering why whenever I am not logged in to my profile and searching for this page/forum the search comes up empty.  Am I just lousy at using the search bar or is there some secret I am missing?

Does the search bar for  the forums only search the body of the forums and not the titles.  I shall test if having the search items in the messages changes the search results. Marriage knife Marriage knifes marriage knives marriage knive that should cover all of my possible bases.

• 3 months later...

I finally heard from Brandon Sanderson, regarding my question.  He put the question to Maria of Team Jordan, below is the email response and question.

I know this is really late in coming but in case you are still interested in the answer to your questions, this is what I received from Maria of Team Jordan:

"A woman who is married with her husband living with her is green; if she's married and forbidden her husband the house, it's red.

The children question is a little less clear; it's not specifically mentioned that I can find, which leads me to believe that the setting should essentially have no color--that is, it should be the same color as the knife."

Best,

Brandon

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Grant Cordner <gcordner8@gmail.com> wrote:
Brandon,
Thanks for all of your work and writings.
I have a question in regards to the Wheel of Time that I was hoping you could answer or if not pass on to a/the member of team Jordan you feel could best answer.

I and a friend of mine have both determined to get our wives Ebou Dari marriage knives. Unfortunately no one currently sales them so we are having to go through a process of finding some one able to make them for us. To do this we are having to provide all of the small details of what we want in the knife. As such, we are using the books as a main source for details. This is what is provided in the books from LoC.
1. Knife hangs from neck in to cleavage of bosom.
2. Knife hangs hilt down.
3. pearls for boys, firedrops for girls, set into the handle.
4. white setting for girls firedrops means dead, red setting for boys pearls means dead.
5. black setting for either means died not in duel.
6. blue sheath is widow that will consider marriage.
7. White sheath- widow not intend to marry again.

Here is where the questions for you or team Jordan come in.
1. What color is the sheath of a women currently married?
2. What color are the settings for children (boys and girls) who are still alive?

I was asking these questions on dragonmount and it was suggested I go to the source. I hope you don't mind.
Thank you for your time, effort, and responses.
Grant Cordner

Archived