DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Peerin (continued so as not to hijack thread)

jradnut

Perrin, imo, was  ...underdone.

He has all of the makings to be a super awesome character, he talked to wolves, he COMMANDED them I suppose.

I expected him to lead an army in the last battle, visions of wolf packs overwhelming trollocks and dreadlords.

Alas, was not to be, Perrin was relegated to chasing down ONE, count 'em ONE, shadow merc and even then he got his ass kicked.....o.O

Time was relative to the bore the last battle, so I suppose while Perrin was healing up, Slayer just took a paw and waited for him, after all, assassinating Rand wasn't a HUGE priority, ;p

• 1 month later...

Those Slayer v Perrin fights were some of my favourite 1v1 fights in the series. I'll give a lot of credit to Brandon Sanderson for using Tel'Aran'Rhiod to it's fullest potential in these fights (without going overboard with flying like the Matrix did). And yes, Slayer was an absolute badass!

Brandon Sanderson is generally better with using the magic systems in combat than Robert Jordan. If you've ever read Mistborn or Stormlight Archive, you'll see that he's very good at being creative when it comes to fighting. His magic systems are arguably better than channeling. He takes a far more scientific approach than Jordan did. 

I agree I never understood why Slayer would of been doing nothing as Perrin was healing.  You would think after getting rid of Perrin he would of went straight for Rand his commanded target.  I never had a vision of Perrin being a big general at the last battle simply because unlike Mat, Perrin had very little combat knowledge, so he really wouldn't of been a good person to have directing things like one of the great generals.  I think it would of seemed really out of place for him and in the end made all the stuff about wolf dreams pointless.  I just thought the Slayer/Perrin thing lasted too long as did the Perrin trying to master the wolf dream. 

I agree I never understood why Slayer would of been doing nothing as Perrin was healing.  You would think after getting rid of Perrin he would of went straight for Rand his commanded target.  I never had a vision of Perrin being a big general at the last battle simply because unlike Mat, Perrin had very little combat knowledge, so he really wouldn't of been a good person to have directing things like one of the great generals.  I think it would of seemed really out of place for him and in the end made all the stuff about wolf dreams pointless.  I just thought the Slayer/Perrin thing lasted too long as did the Perrin trying to master the wolf dream. 

Perrin was able to heal due to the time dilation effect.  Ten hours outside the wolf dream away from the bore was only like 1 within.  Gaul's POV shows that Perrin was mere hours with Slayer probing and testing the defenses. 

Archived