DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heavy Metal

Amar Cerim

I was confused with the Entertainment forum section since there is no music subsection, so I decided to ask if there are any metalheads on DM here. I do hope that doesn't present itself as a problem. So if you like any kind of metal ( heavy, thrash, power, death, melo death, folk, black, industrial, viking, celtic etc. ) please post it here and give me some of your favorite bands, and we can discuss them etc. :) 

I may have missed a similar post, so please do forgive me and redirect me to this post :) 

Keep on headbangin' ! 

I used to like a few heavy metal bands when I was younger, but I don't listen to much in that genre these days.  I do still occasionally listen to a few "progressive metal" bands (i.e., music that combines progressive rock with metal), such as Pain of Salvation, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, and Riverside.  Do you listen to any of that kind of stuff?

I used to like a few heavy metal bands when I was younger, but I don't listen to much in that genre these days.  I do still occasionally listen to a few "progressive metal" bands (i.e., music that combines progressive rock with metal), such as Pain of Salvation, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, and Riverside.  Do you listen to any of that kind of stuff?

It is weird that I usually find people that used to listen metal when they were younger haha :) 

Oh and about prog metal, yeah I do listen. Along with the bands you mentioned you could try listening to Opeth or Tool. Really great bands and I could say some of the finest prog bands today :)

well i listen a lot to the  viking  death metal band amon amarth... otherwise my fav band is In flames, nothing better than the Gothenburg Metal. *horns up*

but i still need to listen to Pain of Salvation, Fates Warning, those don't ring any bell. Opeth is not too bad though

Chaelca, if you like Viking metal, check out Turisas...  I am a huge hard rock fan but I haven't really found a band lately that impress.  Bring me the Horizon is up and coming.  Huge Slipknot and A7F fan but then who isn't!!!!  I think Trivium was great but that are slowly declining. I saw them at download festival in England back in 05 and they were Fing awesome!

Turisas, u said ?   I really need to check that

*goes to check on youtube immediately*

... then ofc, i'm a Slipknot and Avenged 7X fan *grins* They are both awesome live. But so it Stone Sour (a bit quieter though).

Who doesn't love Amon Amarth haha ! I am going to see them live in May and then in June comes Iron Maiden :D I can't wait to see these legends live.

Also I wonder no one has mentioned Blind Guardian. They are a power metal band and on their latest album they have two songs about The Wheel of Time

The songs are alled "Wheel of Time" and "Riden into Obssesion". Check em out ! Really great band, and they actually got me into this series :D

Oh, I know Blind Guardian (they also participated in the soundtrack of that game "Sacred"). :biggrin:

I didn't know those 2 songs though ... *goes again on youtube to check it out*

The WoT songs are actually from the same album as is 'Sacred Worlds' , the song featured in the game 'Sacred' :D 

Blind Guardian is one of my favorite bands to be honest :D

Oh, I love European metal - especially that are melodic and linking to fantasy -- like Power Metal, Melodic Death, Viking Metal, Folk Metal etc.

Europeans are the best at this. Bands like Falconer, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Summoner are my favorites.

Turisas is more power/folk metal than viking. They are like vikings telling a fantasy story. "The Varangian Way" is posiibly their best album.

I was confused with the Entertainment forum section since there is no music subsection, so I decided to ask if there are any metalheads on DM here. I do hope that doesn't present itself as a problem. So if you like any kind of metal ( heavy, thrash, power, death, melo death, folk, black, industrial, viking, celtic etc. ) please post it here and give me some of your favorite bands, and we can discuss them etc. :) 

I may have missed a similar post, so please do forgive me and redirect me to this post :) 

Keep on headbangin' ! 

theres no music section in the entertainment board because the Band of the Red Hand SG is pretty much where all the music threads and stuff end up.  iirc that group does alot of games and threads and stuff aroudn all types of music, so you might want to check them out ^_^

Don't really like metal per se.  I was raised on Hip-hop and that is my mainstay, but I do try to appreciate all songs that have legit musical quality.  My grad school roomy was a hardcore metal head and turned me on to quite a few things.  At this point I use Puya as my workout music.  To me it has a musical quality that most metal lacks.

Also, does Fugazi count as metal?  Always loved them.  I like Tool too.

Also, for some reason the video isn't showing up.  Maybe this way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UvYoKzz2zI

*agrees too* XD

@ tglem : that song u posted scared me at the beginning lol (it improved after lol)

Hmm...maybe if you don't watch the music video but just listen to the song? 

Sorry, I'm not good with the whole metal thing...like I said, not really my scene.

So yeah when I'm not on a weird Adam Lambert binge, I mostly listen to metal. Mostly of the doom variety, or death/doom I suppose; for example My Dying Bride, Draconian, Forest of Shadows, Swallow the Sun, and my friends' band Ghost Voyage, who released their debut album last year.

Outside the doom subgenre, I go for names like Dark Tranquillity, Ihsahn (with or without Emperor), Carach Angren, Mors Principium Est, In Flames, Opeth, Leprous, Moonsorrow, Eluveitie, Tiamat, Sonata Arctica, Paradise Lost (some of their stuff is not exactly metal but whatever)...

*agrees too* XD

@ tglem : that song u posted scared me at the beginning lol (it improved after lol)

Hmm...maybe if you don't watch the music video but just listen to the song? 

Sorry, I'm not good with the whole metal thing...like I said, not really my scene.

lol don't be sorry ... we all have our tastes.

@NT : there's a bunch of names that I don't know yet like Ihsahn, Carach Angren, Leprous. *goes to check it out*

pagan/folkk metal i listen to the mostt of any contemporarry genre (so obviusly wouldnt be including traditionall folk music or clasical which i listen to more). I like som songs from other metall genres but very few and here andd there. even with pagan/folk i only like very particular fragments so not sure if qualify as metalhead lol. i like lot of korpiklaani and waylander (lot is at least hallf or so of their songs), litle bit of arkona and heidevolk and finntroll (maybe a quarterr or less), random songs here and there over different groupps such as i like few of tyr's songs and couple of mael mordha's and skiltron's songs (and literally mean a couple). Im very fussy when comes to music so i dont have a whole lot to listen to though i woulld like more lol.

@NT : there's a bunch of names that I don't know yet like Ihsahn, Carach Angren, Leprous. *goes to check it out*

If I had to name an absolute favourite musician, it would be Ihsahn (or well, at least he'd share the place with Danny Cavanagh). He's fantastic. He started out in the black metal genre as the frontman of Emperor (that's probably a name you know at least), and has been involved in really different kinds of projects since. Most recently he makes music as a solo artist under the name Ihsahn, but he's worked with his wife (who is also a musician in her own right; check out StarofAsh) in a project called Peccatum, and it was... a bit weird at first but really good towards the end. The last thing they released together, a song called The Moribund People, is one of my (admittedly many) favourite songs ever. Actually Imma just link it here.

(He looks just like an ex of mine on that video. It's slightly distracting at times.)

For his solo stuff, my favourite albums are angL and After. AngL has a song where Mikael Åkerfeldt makes a guest appearance, Unhealer, and it's pure bliss to listen to. Actually, I'll just link that one too because it's the very definition of perfection.

Leprous are a kind of progressive metal, and I'd go as far as to call their style even a bit more progressive than your average prog metal. From their third album, Bilateral, onwards it can really be an acquired taste but I love it. Do tell me what you think if you check them out. Overall, Tall Poppy Syndrome is my favourite album from them, because it's consistently good, it doesn't have a single weak song in my opinion, while the same can't be said for Bilateral or Coal. Both are still great albums, but both have some songs I'm not all that fond of. And they're absolutely amazing live, I saw them three times last year and would go again any time I get the chance. If I had to name one favourite song from them, it would be Dare You, from Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Leprous also play as Ihsahn's live band (because the guy can't very well play gigs alone), and I think Einar will be touring with Emperor again the upcoming summer (at least he did the last time Emperor played live). Lucky bastard. (Well, no, the "luck" is well earned, he's almost as amazing as his brother-in-law. His backing vocals on With Strength I Burn make me want to cry because of sheer perfection.)

Archived