DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will the DO break free?

Barmacral

Guest Barmacral

I can't find much discussion regarding this, except indirectly, and so I thought I'd start one up.

Myself? I feel that the DO cannot break free, as once he does that there will be nothing that can stand in his way, and he will be virtually unstoppable.

On a side note to this, I believe that if he were to break free, this would give the creater the means to intercede, and force the Dark One back into his prison. However, I feel that this would destroy the world as utterly as if the DO got complete dominion over the world, as their struggle would be so colossal.

Now, to get back on track, I think the only reason that Rand and the world have a chance against the DO is because he is still imprisoned, and therefore cannot exercise his full strength as of yet. The bore, IMO, needs to be resealed before he breaks free.

Can the remaining seals be destroyed? Yes, I feel that they can. Once the seals are destroyed, the DO will still be imprisoned, as the bore won't quite be ready for him to break through. It will be only a matter of time from the destruction of the last seal until his freedom, but the prison was able to hold him in the AoL without the seals well enough, it'll still be able to contain him for a short time in the current age as well.

Barm

you can only imagine the force that hi is exerting on the bore right now' date=' once the resistance of the last seal gives the bore will shatter.[/quote']

Not necessarily. The bore was there before they sealed it and even unsealed as it was the dark one didn't "break free" as in being physically in the world else the forsaken wouldn't have had to travel there to be in his presence.

I think "breaking free" is a metaphor for how much of his power can influence Randland, I'm not convinced the Dark One has a physical form as such.

More a case of being the embodiment of the evil in peoples hearts, only real way to kill him would be to have no evil people and no good people with evil thoughts, not gonna happen.

Thats right. In the AoL the Dark One couldn't do more than put his 'finger' through the bore. I'm sure when Lanfear opened the bore originally it was even smaller. I'd guess it takes him quite a bit of time to expand the door.

Once the seals are gone it would just be an instant return to his pre-seal abilities.

However, we really don't know what the DO was up to back in the day. Were the dead walking? Did reality shift/shimmer? Or are these new tricks that he's come up with in his spare time? Perhaps these are results of him 'channeling' through the seals? Distortions of what he's actually trying to do?

In the Age of Legends, if you've read Strike at Shayol Goul, the DO has never before broken free, he only laid a hand on the world, or reached an arm out or something - i forget.

You can look at that Figurtively or Literally, if it is Literal, then that gives you some idea of his scale. But I think it is more figuretive than anything, I think he probably doesn't have the ability to take physical form, although some believe that Shadar Harnan IS the DO, but not at full power yet.

here's my theory:

Kind of a Jesus type thing, same thing as the belief that Jesus was part of God - in man form, and combined with Holy Ghost, and the Father - Creator of all things, makes The God. - Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

In Rand land I think it works like this, same thing, but for both sides - Holy Ghost is the One and True powers, Jesus are the Champions - Rand, and Shadar Harnan, or Maybe Ishmael, the Father part is the Creator - who doesn't get involved, and the Dark One who tries, but never will.

We know Rand will have to destroy the Seals, (clear away the rubble before you can rebuild) maybe the reason we're reading about the third age instead of the first or second, is because this IS the time that the DO will get loose, but I think he won't, although the Dark One will be free enough that you would think he's loose. Rand will have to hold back the DO and completely heal or remake the Bore, which is basically undoing everything Lanfear did before the Age of Legends (Not just putting a bandaide on it like Lew Therin did). Make it whole again as if it had never been tapped at all. I don't know how, but I think that's what he'll do.

now that I think about it, Couldn't he just Balefire Lanfear with crazy amounts of Power all the way out of the Pattern completely? Totally undoing everything she did? hmm. guess that would require a lot of balefire.

the things lanfear did creat were we are today in the wheel of time. without lanfear wed still be in the age of legends. If we balefired lanfear the thread of the wheel would unravel and every1 would pretty much be screwed. Also rand may have to redo the creators work and totaly remove the bore and do it all over again. thats were that "only 2 more powerfull" male sa'angreal may come in.

the things lanfear did creat were we are today in the wheel of time. without lanfear wed still be in the age of legends. If we balefired lanfear the thread of the wheel would unravel and every1 would pretty much be screwed. Also rand may have to redo the creators work and totaly remove the bore and do it all over again. thats were that "only 2 more powerfull" male sa'angreal may come in.

only two more powerfull than the Chodan Kal??? I don't think they were talking about the CK. I thought they were talking about the sword, there were only two more powerful than Excali... I mean Callandor.

And not just for men, two Sa'Angreal in general, which would be the male and female Chodan Kal.

Rand still has his access key. I think it's the most powerfull in all of Randland.

Maybe Elayne will make a female version, or someone will find another key.... or was the large female statue destroyed??? that's a real shame.

Guest Barmacral

Narg, I don't think that Rand could balefire Lanfear that much even with the Choedan Kal. Remember that Moiraine can only balefire people a few minutes into the past, Rand I suspect can only balefire people a few days into the past at best. To balefire Lanfear enough to reseal the bore, they'd have had to have done so back in the Age of Legends.

Archived