DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

French Wheel of Time covers

dawnflower8

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and you know the one I thought might be of a literal Wheel of Time?

Well, I think that's actually right, it's a piece of art from some Polish surrealist that's called "Wheel of Time." 

Well, broken clocks are eventually right)even if slightly

I'd definitely have to say that the worst is the The Invasion of Darkness cover.

And yeah I'm not really getting why they have literal dragons on the covers (although some of them look pretty cool).

This one? livres-l-invasion-des-tenebres-160-1.jpg

This is the only one I haven't even the tiniest clue about. 

Is the naked guy Rand? 

The German covers are acutually quite accurate (excepting the white Dragon). 

19. The 'pterodactyl' is a raken. 

20. The Ebou Dari festivals are quite Venetian, the masks and short skirts are typical of the festival. The man behind is also typical Ebou Dari with his knives and their duels. It may also be a reference to the bunch of beggars who attacked Nynaeve and Elayne.  

I didn't really imagine rakens to look like pterodactyls, but that actually DOES make sense.

And I don't really remember the Ebou Dari having festivals like that, but it does make sense since Ebou Dar is much like Venice anyway. Still kind of an odd cover though, why put random Ebou Dari people on it?

Here's an article which may help. It even has the German cover as an exaample :) 

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Festival_of_Birds

I think the idea was to evoke the essence of Ebou Dar, which I actually like more than just showing a picture of one of the main characters. By this point, we know what Rand, Mat, Perrin and co. look like to us in our heads, so a picture will either be different from what we think and annoying or similar and 'oh, that's pretty good." 

It's harder to imagine an entirely new culture and festival (as you said, you don't remember it being like that), so it helps set the scene. 

Bad covers are what we get when the enormous fantasy books are split into two or three during the translation. One of them has the original cover (usually, for example the original cover of The Dragon

Reborn never appeared in Finland) but the other covers are borrowed from other books, resulting in something that looks like a fantasy cover but that's about all you can say of it.

Cover for Part 2 of The Shadow Rising, "Storms." I have no idea what this is even supposed to be.

That's a very good cover. The others...

But what is it?

The artist's favourite film is The Mummy (1999). I see Rand (?, he very tired), four other people without heads.

Bad covers are what we get when the enormous fantasy books are split into two or three during the translation. One of them has the original cover (usually, for example the original cover of The Dragon

Reborn never appeared in Finland) but the other covers are borrowed from other books, resulting in something that looks like a fantasy cover but that's about all you can say of it.

Or used from other random medieval things.

Perhaps they think we won't notice anything. Isn't fantasy always about medieval things like swords, dragons and fancy clothing? :rolleyes:

Well, they do have swords and relatively fancy clothing, depending on the character. But no knights and dragons. 

Science Fiction (sci-fi) and Fantasy has been counted similar to each other; by various people.

one difference::  fantasy generally taking place during medieval times, sci-fi generally in the future.

Except there is fantasy in the future, and sci-fi in the past. And fantasy in worlds that you can't figure out if they are past or future...I think that the majority of fantasy is NOT medieval, at least what I read. Most of the fantasy I read is in modern days.

Archived