DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Those that didn't make it.

Icedragon

Now that I have finally finished aMoL I feel I can finally return to these forums.

One thing I would like to know everyone's thoughts on is the casualties of the Last Battle:

Were you surprised by any charterers dying?

Or were there any characters you expected to die that made it through?

Sorry if this has been discussed earlier, I did perform a search but have been absent since aMoL was released. I guessing huge amounts of discussion has been missed.

I for one wasn't really surprised by anyone dying, but I did expect Tam and Cadsuane to die during the Last Battle.

I actually wasn't particularly surprised by Gawyn and Egwene.....

But BELA!!!! GAH! It was Hedwig all over again :((((

And Suian and Gareth.....soooooo unfair, they of all people totally deserved to live happily ever after. If that wasn't bad enough, I apmost stopped reading when Lan fell but thank the Light he made it XD

I was pleasantly surprised at how many major characters he didn't kill off :) usually with big epic series that have a long-expected battle showdown at least half the cast snuffs it and leaves you thoroughly heartbroken.... So I'm pretty happy with how aMoL ended, really :p

Except the Suian and Bela parts. Fishguts.

I actually wasn't particularly surprised by Gawyn and Egwene.....

But BELA!!!! GAH! It was Hedwig all over again :((((

And Suian and Gareth.....soooooo unfair, they of all people totally deserved to live happily ever after. If that wasn't bad enough, I apmost stopped reading when Lan fell but thank the Light he made it XD

I was pleasantly surprised at how many major characters he didn't kill off :) usually with big epic series that have a long-expected battle showdown at least half the cast snuffs it and leaves you thoroughly heartbroken.... So I'm pretty happy with how aMoL ended, really :p

Except the Suian and Bela parts. Fishguts.

Totally agree with Siuan, Gareth, and Bela.

Egwene was epic although I mourned her.

Hated Egwene's death, there was too much push to make her an uber Aes Sedai and that whole flame of Tar Valon thing that took out every Sharan channeler, lame in my opinion. 

I thought for sure Lan would and thought maybe Min might die.  I was disappointed with Bashere dying off screen, with all the book time he had seemed sort of bad to just have him die how he did.

Only skimmed through various sections of Memory of Light.

Was slightly surprised for Moghedien's fate; also Graendal/Hessalam.

Egwene & Gawyn, their deaths were sort of predicted in earlier books; but was hoping for them to be married before dying.  And that Berelain & Galad would also be married during that hoped marriage.

Was also hoping for the wedding of Rand & his 3 lovers.  also the births of his predicted children.

The ones I was really sad about were Rhuarc, Bela, Davram and Deira Bashere and Suian and Gareth. Egwene and Gawyn were sad but not as sad as the others. 

The ones who I was really surprised about were Egwene and Gawyn. She was such a good Amyrlin, I was expecting her to live for a long time. I was really sad about Suian and Gareth because I really wanted them to have a family. That would have been great. I also really liked Bashere so that was really sad. 

I was pissed a bit on the way Rhuarc went, that was no way for the mighty conquorer of the stone to go. Wasnt too fussed he died just that i thought he deserved to go out in a blaze of glory. He was Rands most loyal follower he should of went into the shadow with teeth bared, spitting in sightblinders eye on the last day.

She thought she did heed it, she assumed the incident when the Seanchan attacked the white tower was the reason Bryne needed to stay close.  She assume she thought that fulfilled Min's viewing without actually asking Min if the viewing was still there.

Rhuarc, one of my favorite figured warriors since I was nine years old. To have his mind invaded and overpowered by the darkly thorned roots of an immortally fell mind, to cast his life away on the winds o The Dark One's doorstep, only a Forsaken's craven whim. That, to me was a mistake made by Brandon Sanderson.

Well daman, that was one of the most monumental endings to a character's life in the whole series. Stolid Verin confessing the sins of her life in hopes of some form of salvation? Egwene was given the rawest power one could have in the White Tower hidden away in a pair of tidy little books. As a young and most promising Amyrlin she used them as much as she could to hold the Light above all until her end. Contrasting her death and someone's as loyal and close to Rand as Bashere is only another quibble to the ending penned and posted.

I really didn't expect as many characters to die as how many actually did, since barely anyone ever seems to die in WoT. I was sad about Egwene and Siuan's deaths, even though Egwene's was pretty cool. 

And I didn't mind Bela's death at all, since it completely disproves the whole stupid theory "Bela is the Dark One." I really have never understood that. 

I didn't really care about Gawyn's death since he's one of those characters I neither like nor dislike.

I still find it amusing how many fans Bela had.   I am actually glad at least one of the main characters and some of the frequent characters died, because it always annoys me when in the movies or books the good side never seems to make any sacrifices.  I think to give a story a realistic feel, the side of good must suffer some downturns also. 

I knew for the past five or so books that my favourite character was going to die, the question was merely of the when, where and how of it. And to be honest I was more heartbroken by how BS treated him alive than by his eventual death.

Anyway. Others. I was so afraid that Tam al'Thor would die. And so utterly furious when it dawned on me that Bashere had to die to make way for Faile to succeed the throne of Saldaea. (And way after the fact I read somewhere, probably here, that people had called it years ago, rofl. I guess I was happier not anticipating it from quite so far away.) Very glad that Rodel Ituralde survived. Vaguely disappointed that Alsalam didn't (because come on, Rodel didn't want the flaming throne). Not particularly affected by Siuan & Gareth's deaths. Rhuarc's fate sucked hard. And yeah, Hurin.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived