DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

To take up a Mission

Kathleen

Kathleen nodded her fairwell to Loraine as she turned her focus to finding her warder. The head had given her a mission, and that meant Elessar had one now as well. The green hoped the journey would not infer with any plans he had made for himself, but if he had lined too many things up which he could not get out of that was his own fault. Surely a warder of his experience knew better than to get himself tied down too tightly to a task apart from his Aes Sedai.

She absently began heading toward the warder's yard, where she so often had collected her warder in the past. She was just about there when she realized the tug of the bond was pulling her in another direction. Right, she thought as the sudden reminder that Nevuel was still away caught up to her. Light, but I hope I don't show my distraction so much in Elessar's presence. I really ought to be more sure I pay more attention to his personal habits. 

She turned around in the hall and almost crashed into a small host of novices who had been at her heels. She almost laughed at the sight of them scurrying out of her way; luckily the smirk didn't crack through until after the girl's had dipped and passed her by. She followed the pull of the bond to the tower's library and hunted through the aisles until she found Elessar intently scanning titles on a shelf above his head.

"I hope you're not looking for anything promising to steal too much of your time. Don't take too many," she winked, "we should probably travel lightly" she hinted.

Kathleen,

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

.. A Pleasant Exchange of Banter ..

►▼◄

"I hope you're not looking for anything promising to steal too much of your time. Kathleen said. "Don't take too many," she winked, "we should probably travel lightly" she hinted.

Elessar grinned. He had been intently scanning titles on a shelf above his head when Kathleen arrived. "I think seven books should do it, Kathleen Aes Sedai." He said in jest, a small grin on his lips.

He explained, in partial truth, that he had been looking for 'some relevant information'. It was always good to be prepared, he suggested. "'Travel light' sounds familiar though", he added. "Perhaps I should only bring five."

Sharing a humourous moment with his new Bondholder pleased him. They had gotten to know one another a little better in the time that had passed since the passing of the Bond, and his initial impression that they had a kind of 'connection', that they were on the same wavelength as it were -  like it had been with Leandreen and he those many years ago - seemed right.

Looking around the great library, Elessar grinned somewhat mischievously. "I don't know if I told you, but a Brown Sister pounced on me once, a long time ago, here in this very library. She discovered me in the History section, you see, seated at a table all on my own with six thick volumes of Sethad's grand “History of the World: Truth and Myth” before me, intently reading."

His eyes lit up with amusement. "Whether her great interest came from the oddity of seeing a Warder in the library with a nose deep in a set of thick books, something which, I suppose, might give her reason for intense study for the next few years, or from my extensive memory when I recited a long and intricate poem by heart when she asked, something which also would make for a deliciously long period of study for a Brown, I do not know."

He added. "All things considered though, it was just as well that she left quickly after." A small chuckle passed his lips, though his eyes emphasized that he was not meaning any disrespect to any Brown. They could be the best Bondholders in the world.. if you were a book. [OOC: let me at this point emphasize that no insult is meant to any Brown Sister, past or present.. ;)]

His eyes lost the teasing glint and focused on his Aes Sedai in a more serious way. "I have what I need", he said - pointing to two books that lay behind him on the table. "Ready for our journey."

He was joining his Aes Sedai, Kathleen on a mission for the Tower. She had given him a little information, what he needed to know, and he would learn more later. He was an experienced Warder of many years - and would use the information he had, and would get, to ensure that Kathleen reached her destination safely and well at the appointed time. That was his duty.

He joined her as they walked together out of the library, Warder and Sedai, side by side.

▀▄

Kathleen laughed at the thought of a brown pouncing on anyone in the library. There were a few sisters of that ajah she had no trouble seeing it from, but most of the girls kept so much to themselves that Kathleen had a hard time imagining them approaching a man, let alone pouncing on one. Someday she would need to get it out of him just who this sister was. For now, there was too much chance it could come off as jealousy and insecurity, and those were two of the last features she wanted to emphasis before she set out on a dangerous mission. 

She gave a few details on their way back toward their room, but all she would say in the tower halls was that they would be likely leaving in the morning with Loraine, Kynwric and Ay'Lira. She didn't think others were listening in, but she knew better than to say anything compromising in public. It would not be surprising to find out that sisters of other ajahs had already heard about the woman impersonating a Green, and though it could be seen as a promising thing to know this information was being dealt with by the Greens, it could also cause embarrassment if the information wasn't known yet and was found out through idle talk in the Tower halls. 

When she got behind the closed doors in her chambers she fished her traveling bag from a closet in her bedroom. As she packed it she began to give her warder the little news more that she had. "There is a woman in Whitebridge claiming to be a sister of the Green Ajah. She even has the gall to be seen in shawls like ours. What she is doing and why she is doing it so close to Tar Valon we do not know...but we ride tomorrow to find out. I can not promise that she will come out alive, but you ought to know that there will likely never be a mission we go on where death is not a possibility for someone. When we are done our packing we will be joining the others over dinner in Loraine's quarters to discuss what details we can."

Kathleen Vandiar

Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

.. Preparations before a Mission of Danger ..

►▼◄

Kathleen and Elessar walked together toward the Green halls. As they walked the White Tower corridors, passing others on the way, she told him that they would be likely leaving in the morning with Loraine Aes Sedai, Kynwric Gaidin and Ay'Lira Aes Sedai. She did not say anything more, but he nodded, knowing from experience that - prudently - she would give him the more confidential details (that he needed to know) once they were in private behind closed doors.

They finally reached Kathleen's quarters and he closed the door behind them. He stood out of the way as Kathleen found a travelling bag from a closet in her bedroom; he would pack his own things afterwards.

As she packed her belongings, she started to give him the little news more that she had. She told him that there was a woman in Whitebridge claiming to be a Sister of the Green Ajah. A woman that even had the gall to be seen in shawls like theirs. What she was doing and why she was doing it so close to Tar Valon they did not know.. but they would ride the next day to find out. She could not promise that the woman would come out alive.

"But you ought to know", Kathleen said, "that there will likely never be a mission we go on where death is not a possibility for someone."

She added that when they were done packing they would be joining the others over supper in Loraine Aes Sedai's quarters to discuss what details they could.

Danger was always a factor when on a mission with a Green. It lay in the nature of their service. Elessar knew that well enough from his many years as a Bonded Warder to Leandreen of the Battle Ajah. They had hunted Darkfriends and minions of the Shadow together, had put their lives on the line many a time. Even if it was many years ago, he remembered those missions well and would be well prepared for what was to come.

"It has been some years," he said, appreciating her frank statement, "but I remember well the many missions with Leandreen Aes Sedai. With the Green, you often face danger and death. We shall face it well." He said it without boast, rather as a matter of fact, with a confidence he felt. His dark eyes, meeting hers for a moment, reaffirmed his words.

He nodded respectfully to his Bondholder, then turned and headed for the door, to go pack his own things. Just before he reached the door he whispered almost to himself, "My life before yours, Kathleen Aes Sedai." He did not know if she had heard. Closing the door behind him, he walked resolutely to his own chamber.

In his own room he packed his things, including the two books he had brought from the library: Verdhan's "Poetry of the World" and Sedhred's "Strategy in War: A Warrior's Life". One for his Warrior heart - and one for his Poet soul.

'Warrior Poet' Leandreen had called him, somewhat teasingly, once she had realized that these were his two passions in life - and he had graciously accepted the unofficial title.

Elessar also filled two saddlebags with necessary items for their journey. In the early morning before sunrise he would see to their horses, his black stallion Stormbreaker and Kathleen's mount. They would be two faithful companions on their quest into the South.

He had some time to kill after his packing was done, and before they were to leave for the dinner. Picking up a book from the shelf on the wall, one of several lined up for his reading pleasure, he seated himself and started flicking through the pages. It was a book about Andor - and it made him recollect the many visits he had made to this proud nation, accompanying his Sedais, up through the years. He had been to the Capital Caemlyn on several occasions, but foremost in his mind at this moment was a crystal-clear memory of the glass-like shining Light of White Bridge.

▀▄