DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Liitha

Me'Areath visiting - favourite books

Ok so we wanted to visit you t his month, i did send out a pm but didnt get a response so hope this is ok ;)

We would like to talk about favourite books, and to make it more challenging even if we love them, nothing is perfect...so adding in dont just say something good about why you love it, but what are its weaknesses, or what are things you dont like about it. So basically while its easy to recommend them, because you love them, being honest which people would you not recommend them too for some reason or another.

Personally i love the earths children by Jean M Auel, however i can see how they for some may be somewhat slow going at times, they are big and would be anyhow, but sometimes they go in very dept detail of describing things like all kinds or properties of herbs for instance which arent really always relevant to what is actually happening there and then, i can see how this unless your specially interested can make them at times more longwinded then nesicary. As such if your unpatient, think some of RJs books were stalling at times, then you are more then likely to double up feel that at times with these, if your ok with details and slow passages though and can read anyway just for the sake of the whole story in the long run for life on both its peaks and lower more boring times...they are rather interesting books, which they author put a lot of study behind - though they read a bit at times as a potential historic lesson in different biology related subjects

Hi Liitha! I honestly don't think I ever got a PM from you but this is okay by me. I have read so many books in my lifetime that I would be very hard pressed to name any particular favorite. Right now I am really enjoying the Song of Ice and Fire series and Eric Flint's 1632 shared univere. I am in the process of finishing the Sherlock Holmes books as well.

I am currently on book 3 of song of Ice and fire!  I keep spoiling things for myself by looking on the wiki for the series. 

I am currently on book 3 of song of Ice and fire!  I keep spoiling things for myself by looking on the wiki for the series. 

Stop doing that! :dry:

Three books that I like to reread from time to time are: Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury), Brave New World (Aldous Huxley) and 1984 (George Orwell). Those aren't the type of book that usually get people hooked...

Prelude to Foundation and Forward to Foundation (Isaac Asimov). You probably won't like it if you don't like futuristic science fiction.

Heh I used to come on here for spoilers about the WOT books, then I got hooked and signed up. No biggie, you'll live Davi  :tongue:

One of my favourite books is The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas). People who like dymanic stories, might find this one slow and too long.

Edited by Dors Olivaw

I loved The Book Thief, Cutting for Stone, Cellist of Sarajevo, The Invisible Bridge, Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy, Divergent Trilogy, and The Red Tent.

Aaaah, the Me'A, I may be biased but you guys might be my favourite warder disc  :happy:

Speaking of which, where is Tyler?

My favourite books, gah, there's so many. 

Off the top of my head A Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, Way of Kings by Brandon Sander, Tuesday's with Morrie by Mitch Albom, The Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The main problem with the 4/5 of these (excepting WoK) is they are really really sad.

I don't often read sad books but when I do they kinda of haunt me a bit.

Oh and and The Messenger by Marcus Zusak is amazing. And not too sad  :tongue:

Edited by blank

I have, I loved it!

I think I've read most of his books now, The Five People You Met in Heaven was the one that got me hooked  :happy:

Three books that I like to reread from time to time are: Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury), Brave New World (Aldous Huxley) and 1984 (George Orwell). Those aren't the type of book that usually get people hooked...

Prelude to Foundation and Forward to Foundation (Isaac Asimov). You probably won't like it if you don't like futuristic science fiction.

they are for me

I can't pick favorites

my most frequent rereads are those two ^, little house, a Christmas carol, a few of the dragonriders series. LotR and the Hobbit, all the Austen's, um... ok I just thought of fifty more so I'll stop.

Edited by cindy

Blank, The Time Traveler's Wife was a difficult read for me.

Blank, The Time Traveler's Wife was a difficult read for me.

Because it was sad or because you didn't like it?

WoT on first place, after that in no particular order: The Farseer and the Tawnie Man series by Robin Hobb, The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Erikson, all of Jane Austen and Terry Prattchet, Brandon Sanderson's work, all of Orwell, I love Wuthering Heights and Harry Potter, the Song of Fire & Ice by Martin, Winnie the Pooh (it is like a small Bible to me). I am sure just like any one of you, that the list is so long and I am forgetting something that I love very much.

Usually, if I am half-way within a book and if I don't like it, I just leave it, no matter how recommended or famous the title is. Only exception - the Hobbit - and I would never put it as a fave book. LoTR is like a basic draft for what a true fantasy should be IMO.

I will try The Five People You Meet in Heaven - I am always looking forward to new titles.

I like WoT, but for good world building earths children found me first, before i really got into the whole fantasy genre...and while i havent lived long enough to wait for all the first books, because frankly unlike even wot this series are older then me

RJ started in 84 and published in 90, first book of this series was published in 80, and the last book (though originally the author said there would be seven) which was number 6 in the series came out in 2011

all the books are huge like the last few editions we seen in wot, and i am still facinated by them, may have to reread them once i can afford to buy all of them (want them in hardbacks) - like wot you can find new details every time, so yeah basically some similarities, but unlike wot which basically spread all over the world and deals with multiple main characters and nations, these dont - there is one main character, and though you do get familiar with more then one culture its not as many as in wot, and one at a time throughout the main characters lifetime as she travels

so while they share some similarities in being long going, detailed and such, focus of story are different, the series are in the historic fiction genre and basically follow the life of one person growing up and what shapes her of big and small events in her life, learning skills and whatnot...i find it facinating but like said you got to have an interest in history and nature to probably enjoy this one (there is no saving the world in this one). But its the one who really sat me on track for valuing big/long series which is why if i had to pick out one, i'd say this one...after there are many series i come to love, and there are so many good standalone books too..but the last few books of this one...well the wait between each been longer then the wait for wot (obviously spaning over a longer timespan and with only half the amount of books)

WoT on first place, after that in no particular order: The Farseer and the Tawnie Man series by Robin Hobb, The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Erikson, all of Jane Austen and Terry Prattchet, Brandon Sanderson's work, all of Orwell, I love Wuthering Heights and Harry Potter, the Song of Fire & Ice by Martin, Winnie the Pooh (it is like a small Bible to me). I am sure just like any one of you, that the list is so long and I am forgetting something that I love very much.

Usually, if I am half-way within a book and if I don't like it, I just leave it, no matter how recommended or famous the title is. Only exception - the Hobbit - and I would never put it as a fave book. LoTR is like a basic draft for what a true fantasy should be IMO.

I will try The Five People You Meet in Heaven - I am always looking forward to new titles.

You have got to be joking. The Lord of The Rings and any related literature to Middle Earth are timeless classics! The language, the literature, every thing in the whole world of Tolkien is absolutely perfect. Best story teller ever. No one has even come close to achieving Tolkien's level of literature. (note the fact that I call it literature, not Fantasy, there is an actual difference)

I give you, Emily Bronte, not Austen though, talk about dreary. Harry Potter, meh, loved the books hated the films, I still have them on DVD though. ( I do love the scene in the CHamber of Secrets when they fly off from King's Cross, My uni was just down there lol)  I am currently in love with Sir Terry Pratchett, no one comes close to his sense of humour except maybe Neil Gaiman.  Brandon Sanderson has good writing skills, Mistborn is wonderful, very intense and fast paced, I finished it in a week.

Frankly, WOT for me was okay, it started out interestingly and I hate leaving a story unfinished, so I finished the books, mostly out of duty. I just expected something more, I don't know what but something.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is not fantasy, per se. I look forward to hearing what you have to say, after you read it. 

If you need more books added to your list let me know, I got my own personal library at home.

I thought the five people you meet in heaven was meh but that may be because of the buildup. I was expecting great, I got a nice little story that I read on a break at work.

I think you'll find a lot of disagreement on the objective literary merit of the hobbit, though so many of us love Tolkien and his stories. he was primarily a linguist, not a novelist, and his books have many structural and storytelling flaws. they're not for everyone. they do a wonderful job creating a mythology and building a world to live in but they could do better with character and plot development.

it's silly to argue personal preference but I find Austen flawless myself. I love two of three Brontes as well.

I loved clan of the cave bear and very much liked valley of the horses, but after that Auel's quality dropped off sharply. I still read them all but I suspect her readers have had more interest in her work than she has for more than a decade. I find that very sad, she had such promise. maybe she should have left it at one great work but it's hard to say no to a steady income.

Tolkien Rocks!  LotR was my gateway into fantasy growing up. I read most of the big series from the period. Dune, Dragonriders, Covenant (not really my fave tho) more that I will remember later.

Silmarillion is my personal favourite however. Many find it choppy, which it can be especially in the part with loads of notes. for me though the tales themselves are more epic even if they are told in brief nearly snippet form. The heroes felt greater as the foes were immensely powerful. 

A series that I found and really enjoyed was Dragon Prince and Dragon Scrolls by Melanie Rawn. The interpersonal relations felt very real. 

*totally allowed in here as Me'A* lol

Tolkien Rocks!  LotR was my gateway into fantasy growing up. I read most of the big series from the period. Dune, Dragonriders, Covenant (not really my fave tho) more that I will remember later.

Silmarillion is my personal favourite however. Many find it choppy, which it can be especially in the part with loads of notes. for me though the tales themselves are more epic even if they are told in brief nearly snippet form. The heroes felt greater as the foes were immensely powerful. 

A series that I found and really enjoyed was Dragon Prince and Dragon Scrolls by Melanie Rawn. The interpersonal relations felt very real. 

you are totally welcome here always

you are totally welcome here always

What the cat said. *pets the kitty*

I loved clan of the cave bear and very much liked valley of the horses, but after that Auel's quality dropped off sharply. I still read them all but I suspect her readers have had more interest in her work than she has for more than a decade. I find that very sad, she had such promise. maybe she should have left it at one great work but it's hard to say no to a steady income.

I agree completely! I never got past the first chapter of her last book. Maybe I'll try it again when I'm in a different mood - I hate leaving anything undone ... lol

My favourite series of all time is the WoT. Negatives: RJ did get a bit too much into the "petty details" at times (exactly how many baths can Elayne have? :P) but overall the positives far outweigh any negatives. For the books he wrote, that is. I cannot express in words how much I loath and detest the last 3 books, with the final one being the worst.