DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dobraine

What happened to Dobraine?

He was a major figure in Rand's ascent, essentially ruling Cairhien and Andor as steward. Dobraine and Bashere were Rand's two strongest/most influential (both politically and militarily with regard to advancing his campaign). I cannot remember a mention of Dobraine after Rand leaves Arad Doman. After the attempted assassination by the Darkfriends and almost 2 years of dedicated service, I think he should have at least had an ending written into AMOL.

He survived the Last Battle, according to Brandon (can't find the source right now but I am certain he's said that), but there wasn't a point in AMoL where it would have made sense for him to appear.

I like to think he would have continued/become the Steward of Cairhien under Elayne's rule, but as far as I'm aware that's neither confirmed or denied by canon sources.

I agree, though; he deserved something at least.

Perhaps Dobraine was with Morgase managing the refugees from Caemlyn and the abandoned populace of Cairhien, and they were sucked into the same black hole so as not to appear in the text :)

I think Dobraine would have made an excellent abritrator in upholding the Dragon's Peace. He managed to keep Rand seated in Cairhien and Andor, and stayed faithful to every order. He seems fairly capable militaristically, and he is adept at the Game of Houses. He seems married to duty, and thus could have been something of a Chief Magistrate or some such official role to mitigate dispute, or even in organizing Rand's network of schools.

I was just sad that he wasn't even mentioned in the book, let alone a direct appearance. Obviously the coolest characters are people like Demandred, Rand, Taim, Logain, etc with big personalities and powers. The ones I find most interesting, however, are the everyday guys like Dobraine, Rhuarc, Bashere, and even Mat and Perrin (as normal as a ta'veren can be), who get stuff done.

Dobraine was always one my favorite characters. I was rather annoyed when Elayne got the throne of Cairhien instead of him, considering she had done all of nothing for the country. He really got the short end of the stick overall. Which is a shame, because along with guys like Darlin, Bashere, Rhuarc, and Logain, he was someone Rand could count on entirely, one of his most loyal, useful and reliable supporters. Ironically the only one Rand ended up trusting completely, tGS aside, was Rhuarc, and maybe Bashere.

• 1 month later...

Archived