DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The White/Brown Ajah Winter Olympic Carnival: Olympic History

Charis alAslan

did they have nude or even clothed women in classical Olympics?

would they have?

to the rest of that, thats obviusly a rhetorical question becuse you know as wel as i thhey didnt have women in the originall olympics so fairly pointless

Actually, there is record of ONE woman who competed and won something in the 264BC Olympics. You can read about her here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilistiche

Don't know if she was nude, though. That would've been... very scandalous, I think!

I don't think that many of the team sports, either summer or winter, would work very well nude. Ice hockey nude sounds incredibly dangerous.

Indeed!

Bold: Not really the women in Sparta always competed in the nude between themselves. Wonderful physiques. They trained when they could. More freedom than women in all the other city states.

Good point. I was thinking that Bilitiche competed against the MEN. =P It's actually not clear. Can anyone find that out?

The worst one was Whatizit, or Izzy for short, in the Atlanta games.

masc1996.gif

Yea, that's pretty bad. 

My favorite are the mascots from the Beijing Olympics: (yes, I'm biased - I'm a Chinese teacher, =P )

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuwa)

The Fuwa (Chinese福娃pinyinFúwá; literally "good-luck dolls", also known as "Friendlies"), were the mascots of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. The designs were created by Han Meilin, a famous Chinese artist.[1] The designs were publicly announced by the National Society of Chinese Classic Literature Studies on 11 November 2005 at an event marking the 1000th day before the opening of the games.

There are five fuwa: Beibei, Jingjing, Huanhuan, Yingying, and Nini. Together, the names form the sentence "", or "Beijing huanying ni," which means "Beijing welcomes you". 

beijing-olympic-wallpaper.jpg

Amazing thought went into designing them. Take a look at this chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuwa#Mascots

I think my favorites were Haakon and Kristin from the Lillehammer 1994 Winter Olympics. As far as I know ( I could be wrong) these are the only "human" mascots they've ever had for the Olympics.

olympic-mascot-image-gallery-17.jpg

The worst one was Whatizit, or Izzy for short, in the Atlanta games.

masc1996.gif

Yea, that's pretty bad. 

My favorite are the mascots from the Beijing Olympics: (yes, I'm biased - I'm a Chinese teacher, =P )

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuwa)

The Fuwa (Chinese福娃pinyinFúwá; literally "good-luck dolls", also known as "Friendlies"), were the mascots of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. The designs were created by Han Meilin, a famous Chinese artist.[1] The designs were publicly announced by the National Society of Chinese Classic Literature Studies on 11 November 2005 at an event marking the 1000th day before the opening of the games.

There are five fuwa: Beibei, Jingjing, Huanhuan, Yingying, and Nini. Together, the names form the sentence "", or "Beijing huanying ni," which means "Beijing welcomes you". 

beijing-olympic-wallpaper.jpg

Amazing thought went into designing them. Take a look at this chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuwa#Mascots

those are amazing... talk about attention to details. and so cute.

I think my favorites were Haakon and Kristin from the Lillehammer 1994 Winter Olympics. As far as I know ( I could be wrong) these are the only "human" mascots they've ever had for the Olympics.

olympic-mascot-image-gallery-17.jpg

and these... I want.

they're almost cabbage patch kids.

never had one of those.

>.> Little thought on cabbage patch kids... I was 9 weeks premature when I was born, (back in 86) and when the doctors oked me to go home, my sisters quickly realized that i fit IN their cabbage patch doll clothes... I think they didn't stop thinking of me as a squawking doll till i was 6 years old...

>.> Little thought on cabbage patch kids... I was 9 weeks premature when I was born, (back in 86) and when the doctors oked me to go home, my sisters quickly realized that i fit IN their cabbage patch doll clothes... I think they didn't stop thinking of me as a squawking doll till i was 6 years old...

That's one of the most adorable things I've ever heard.

It gets better, when I was old enough, and wanted to play with them, they would play house.  I would be a dad, and they had me sit outside the door for hours pretending to be "at work" while they played house... I would stay there and keep asking if I could come home from work yet, to that their reply was, "not till after we have tea".

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived