DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah Book Challenge 2014 (Discussion and questions)

You're welcome! :biggrin: I do love passing on books that have touched me, and Katsa's story is amazing.

I'm rereading it right now!

I think I'm going to read it, Mish.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God I can't WAIT until March when Words of Radiance comes out! *squeeeee* I've read everything they've released for teasers so far and every new teaser just makes it harder :laugh:

Also, I think Brandon Sanderson is an Iron Man fan. I mean, Shardplate, the Iron Man suit... Some striking similarities there!

Brandon's coming to Phoenix on tour for Words of Radiance in March!  I've already preordered the book from the location, and they'll give me a number to get in line and see him!  I'm so excited to see him again! 

God I can't WAIT until March when Words of Radiance comes out! *squeeeee* I've read everything they've released for teasers so far and every new teaser just makes it harder :laugh:

Also, I think Brandon Sanderson is an Iron Man fan. I mean, Shardplate, the Iron Man suit... Some striking similarities there!

Brandon's coming to Phoenix on tour for Words of Radiance in March!  I've already preordered the book from the location, and they'll give me a number to get in line and see him!  I'm so excited to see him again! 

SO MUCH ENVIOUS. I was looking at ordering the book signed (they are doing 500 copies that can be sent anywhere, personalized and signed) but it costs too much for me. Brandon never comes to Europe anymore :(  (he's been in Norway one time, and it was A WEEK before I started TGS and understood who he was. I was so pissed at myself for not going).

About the signed book you mean? I don't even dare to think about how many emails he gets begging for free/cheap signed books.

That he probably would! I'd imagine him be far too busy to respond to most emails though.

I do wish he'd come to Europe, but I was Jennifer explain somewhere why he probably doesn't; the events who invite him will have to pay for his travel expenses, and very few places here make enough to be able to do that. Nothing in Norway at least; I'm pretty shocked he was in Norway some years ago in the first place.

I want him to sign my kindle :biggrin: (and a book, of course) so that I can have his signature with me whereever I go *Stalker* :ph34r:

:biggrin:

he's busy but I think he still responds afaik.

http://brandonsanderson.com/contact/

I actually didn't initiate the convo I had with him, it was something related to DM stuffs and long story short he was an absolute doll.

I might just send him an email to tell him how much I appreciate his works, especially his female characters.

:biggrin:

he's busy but I think he still responds afaik.

http://brandonsanderson.com/contact/

I actually didn't initiate the convo I had with him, it was something related to DM stuffs and long story short he was an absolute doll.

I might just send him an email to tell him how much I appreciate his works, especially his female characters.

I enjoyed Vin so much.

I sent him an email a few years ago, telling him how much I loved his books and because I loved him so much I was going to start Wheel of Time to fill up my days between his books.

He replied himself saying how wonderful it was and hoping I enjoyed WoT and I just in general think he is the bees knees.

i just finished this book called Quiet by Susan Cain about introverts. It was really interesting. I bought it after work yesterday and this is me just surfaced for human contact  :laugh:

Hey Blank, if you like cheesy romances (I know you do) you should check out Marjorie M Liu (she's not in our ebook resource unfortunatley though), the Dirk&Steele novels, it's a series about a detective agency made up of people with spesial powers (mindreaders, shapeshifters, firecontroller, telekinesis and so on), they're quick and easy reads and the romances are so over the top (in a "you're my soulmate <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 " kind of way) that it makes for very entertaining reads :biggrin:

Well, I finished Allegiant today. I had a feeling that was where they ending would go. I'm happy the author didn't take the easy way out. I thought the ending, while I balled my eyes out, was great. Tris exemplified what a true hero really is. I thought it was amazing.

I read some reviews on amazon that said not to read the third, and just leave it at the second. I totally disagree. It was bold, and a little hard, it'll make you cry, but it was so great!

I'm reading Notorious Nineteen now - a Stephanie Plum book by Janet Evanovich.

I really need to finish Allegiant! I have tons of students reading it and they want to know my opinion of the ending!

I finished Brother Odd the other day.  It took me far too long to read that book.  lol  Also, I'm itching for the Odd Thomas movie to come out on dvd!!  I have to wait until March!  *whinewhinewhine*

Finished Allegiant this morning. I actually really liked the ending! Yes it's sad but I feel like it's the best ending it could've had. Overall, a great series and I hope the movies do it justice, although I'm already concerned with their casting choice for Tobias.

I feel silly admitting this, but I just finished the third book in Aprilynne Pike's Laurel series. It's YA fantasy, but one of the main conflicts is a convoluted love triangle. Still, I devoured book 3, and tried to get 4 (the last in the series) on my kindle last night. Only problem was that the library had both copies out, and there were already 2 people on the waiting list! Grrrr! So at 7pm last night I went to the library and got book 4. I feel like a nerd, but I really wanted the book!

I feel silly admitting this, but I just finished the third book in Aprilynne Pike's Laurel series. It's YA fantasy, but one of the main conflicts is a convoluted love triangle. Still, I devoured book 3, and tried to get 4 (the last in the series) on my kindle last night. Only problem was that the library had both copies out, and there were already 2 people on the waiting list! Grrrr! So at 7pm last night I went to the library and got book 4. I feel like a nerd, but I really wanted the book!

I love it when you get that involved in a book!

I've read a couple of good books recently.

I read Quiet: The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain and it's about how in a world where extroverted qualities are the ones that are generally celebrated how essential introverted qualities can be. I thought it was really very interesting. And there is so much physiology behind it, like actually how your body responds with hormones. I thought it was mostly a mental thing - but apparently not. Well worth checking out!

Then I read Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. The premise is the main character lives out her life in many variations.

It starts off with her birth and she dies during it.

Then it starts again and she lives and then she dies at 8 from drowning.

Then it starts again but the difference is a man came to the beach to paint that day on a whim and saved her from drowning and her life continues as if it never happened.

Etc etc. It was a very interesting book and it spanned WW1 when she was young and then her as an adult during the blitz in WW2. It tackled some very harsh themes like death and domestic abuse and alcoholism but it was extremely thought provoking.

I finished Brother Odd the other day.  It took me far too long to read that book.  lol  Also, I'm itching for the Odd Thomas movie to come out on dvd!!  I have to wait until March!  *whinewhinewhine*

I need to read the rest of that series - I loved the first two books, but for some reason have never gotten the others. But I love Odd Thomas. He is such a great character. 

Finished Allegiant this morning. I actually really liked the ending! Yes it's sad but I feel like it's the best ending it could've had. Overall, a great series and I hope the movies do it justice, although I'm already concerned with their casting choice for Tobias.

I'm glad you liked it! I thought it was a great ending and really showed what a hero Tris truly was. This made me laugh though, because I was a little confused about their casting choice for Tobias as well. He looks too big and muscular or something. I have a guy friend who thinks they cast Tobias perfectly...  But I can't wait to see it!

So I finally finished a book again - I finished Wizard's First Rule. After my concussion and stuff it was really hard to read for a couple weeks (which was depressing me) But I'm finally feeling at least better enough that reading doesn't make me sick anymore - I call that a victory!

My best friend gave me her copies of the first two volumes of Ranma 1/2 the other day.  Oh, man.  Blast from the past.  It's a great series with a ridiculously hilarious premise, and wonderful characters.  I need to get the rest of the manga.  One volume at a time, though.  It's a bit lengthy.  It'd be nice to have the anime, too.

I've been going through a REALLY nostalgic anime kick lately.  Wonder what that's about.

Anyone for Sailor Moon?  xD

I need to read the rest of that series - I loved the first two books, but for some reason have never gotten the others. But I love Odd Thomas. He is such a great character. 

Isn't he, though?!  I love his narrative style!  It makes me feel like I can sit down and have a chat with him.  Maybe give him a hug, too. Poor guy's been through a lot.

My best friend gave me her copies of the first two volumes of Ranma 1/2 the other day. Oh, man. Blast from the past. It's a great series with a ridiculously hilarious premise, and wonderful characters. I need to get the rest of the manga. One volume at a time, though. It's a bit lengthy. It'd be nice to have the anime, too.

I've been going through a REALLY nostalgic anime kick lately. Wonder what that's about.

Anyone for Sailor Moon? xD

I've got the first season on the Ranma anime. I love it! It really is so bizarrely funny!

I've also got the first two box sets of Sailor Moon anime. :D It's got R, S, and Super S I think. Then I have all the movies, but only the dubbed versions. :( I'll even admit that I have the original American soundtrack with all the songs they sang (like "Carry On" and "She's Got the Power"). *lol*

I've read the first 4 "seasons" of the manga, and it is all much, much better than the show. But the show has sentimental value for me.

Agree on all points. I saw the preview for Divergent. Tobias looks 30.

I've got the first season on the Ranma anime. I love it! It really is so bizarrely funny!

I've also got the first two box sets of Sailor Moon anime. :D It's got R, S, and Super S I think. Then I have all the movies, but only the dubbed versions. :( I'll even admit that I have the original American soundtrack with all the songs they sang (like "Carry On" and "She's Got the Power"). *lol*

I've read the first 4 "seasons" of the manga, and it is all much, much better than the show. But the show has sentimental value for me.

I don't have any of the Sailor Moon anime, except for some old, old, old, old VHS tapes.  I agree about the manga, though.  :)  Much better, less filler.  I love those songs!  xD  Especially "Carry On."  I can't wait until the new anime comes out.  I think it already has, but until it's been subbed or dubbed, I can't watch it.  lol