DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Goodbye my old friend (Attn: Kath)

Sherper

Aril and Ellisha ducked furtively through the white marbled corridors. Their foot steps almost inaudible in the dim shadows of midnight. A sound came from somewhere up ahead and the two women came to an abrupt halt - ducking behind a corner and holding in their collective breathes as they waited for the person to pass. A white clad girl walked amiably past the pair, her garb that of a Novice, and her manner - suggesting she was on some kind of an errand. Probably for an Aes Sedai. Novices and Accepted were not allowed to stay past their curfew, and strict punishments were issued by the Mistress of Novices to any initates caught breaking the rule without a good reason of being up.

'Should've never allowed myself to get dragged here by you.' Ellisha muttered, half to herself as the footsteps of the Novice slowly fadded into the distance. Aril smiled, and Ellisha saw the amusement in the other woman's eyes despite the grey nondescript hoods they were both wearing. Their clothing had been stashed in a small alcove underneath the drapping roots of one of the garden willows, and had been carefully purchased weeks prior for their distinctly inconspicuous look. 'Oh come off it, Ellisha,' the woman said, her voice tinged still with the night's excitements. And Ale, as Ellisha distinctly remembered. '​You have to admitt that was fun.' The woman poked her head around the corner to check if the coast was clear. ​

Ellisha sniffed, though a part of her did want to agree that the night's events had been most enjoyable. And yes, perhaps it was, fun. Although Accepted were allowed trips into the city of Tar Valon itself - unlike those of the lower rank of Novice, their visitng times were strictly limited to the mornings and early afternoons. And never at night. Yet there were places in a large city like Tar Valon, whose pleasures could only be experienced when the sun dropped below the horizon. At night the inns, the taverns and the night shops of Tar Valon became alive with activity. Ellisha, and certainly Aril, had a blast of a time losing themselves in the throng and bustle of jovial nocternal life. Downing mugs of ale and other drinks that suddenly tasted a lot better than their day time equivalents. Chatting with talkative strangers, who were more than happy to exchange stories and tales of the outside world. Meeting people, who didn't regard them with distance and fear, but who treated them as just two more young women looking for company.

Ellisha felt her cheeks redden as she blushed, recalling one particularly extended conversation with a handsome youth who identified himself as Kyle. The two had talked for quite a long time, and Ellisha had obviously lost herself in those deep entrancing eyes of majestic blue. The memory sent a shiver of embarrasement down her face, which she was glad the shadows of her hood could hide. She forced herself to push the memory aside and focus her attention on more important matters: like the present.

Her friend gave a small wave of her hand, indicating for them to move. There was definitely not enough room to be distracted - not at the moment. They might have sucessfully snuck out of the Tower, but that did not guarantee them a safe passage back. If they were caught, they could still face severe punishments for breaking more than just one Tower law - but multiple. Well - they would deal with that if they had to. Ellisha followed closely behind Aril as the two snuck back into the main corridor, continuing their long journey back to safety, and their rooms in the Accepted Quarters.

The Tower was a quite place at night and it was said few people would be up and about once the wall clocks hit its twelvth chime. Indeed, very few people were allowed up till very late. The exception being the Aes Sedai and the ocassional servants. But even then, only a few of the Brown sisters had been known to make any form of late night excursions anywhere, and they were usually locked up in their study or in the Tower library. They had already completed the hard part, which was to find a way to slip through the watching Tower soldiers guarding the outer perimeter and entryways. The rest was easy. People usually don't see what they don't suspect to see - even Aes Sedai, so Aril and Ellisha were relatively safe, so long as they made no sudden moves. ​

The two made their way across another set of intersections, and had passed the last water fountain before the stairwell to the Accepted Quarters when they were forced to a stop once again. They were in a completely straight corridor, the closest bend being almost fifty meters away, and at the front - rapid foot steps could be heard approaching. Ellisha's throat caught as panic welled up inside her. Aril wasn't fairing much better by the jerky way her friend's head wiped about looking for a mean of escape. There didn't seem to be enough time to turn back and any second now the owner of those footsteps would turn the corner and see the two of them standing there. Ellisha felt a tug at the sleave of her banded dress and turned to see Aril dragging her towards a small wooden door set to one side of the stone wall. She furtively opened it; careful not to make the turning of the door knob produce any sound, and briskly hustled the two of them inside.

It was a broom closet. Perhaps one used by the late night cleaning servants who had to find a place to store their equipment. So it was the least to say, that it was cramped. 'Ow! watch it.' Aril squealed, 'That's my face you're elbowing.' 'Sorry,' Ellisha briskly apologised, not realising the squishy material she had been trying to wriggle towards to get some more arm room had been her friend. They shuffled around a bit, moving aside brooms and other stationary to try and get into a less awkward position. The foot steps from the outside echoed through the closet door and came to an abrupt halt in front of where Aril and Ellisha hid.

The two held their collective breathes, wondering exactly the same line of questions: 'Did they hear something? Were they already discovered? Were they doomed?' Ellisha noticed the door was cracked to the side, and hanging slightly ajar. She cursed softly, berating herself for not having noticed the mistake earlier. It was too late to shut it now, and the movement would definitely give their position away - if it hasn't been compromised already. The silence stretched on as seconds turned into minutes, though it felt like hours for the two huddled Accepted as they awaited to find out their fate.

The person outside did not leave, and eventually, after a very extended period of time where nothing happened, Ellisha came to realise the person had not spotted them afterall, but was simply waiting for something. She let out a small breathe of relief, though it was soft and controlled, and definitely not loud enough for the person outside to hear. The small crack in the door allowed for a limited view of the corridor outside, though at the moment she couldn't make out the form of the standing person. Her sense of relief was instantly replaced by an even stronger sense of curiosity, as she considered the reason for one: why anyone was up so late, and two: What - or who, they waiting for?

The answer soon came in the form of a woman, who approached the first figure and the spot where Aril and Ellisha were hiding. She walked briskly, and quickly passed between the limited field of view offered by the door crack before Ellisha got a good look of the woman. She was tall, though not towering, and had long flowing brown hair much like that of Ellisha's.

'See anything?' Aril whispered, trying unsucessfuly to look over Ellisha's right shoulder. Ellisha shook her head. 'No, the door is blocking the way. Wait, I think I heard something.' She held up a finger to silence Aril and leaned in close to the door until her ears were in direct proximity to slitted crack. The two were talking outside and Ellisha thought she could just make out the words from their hushed whisper.

~Ellisha Falwein

Accepted of the White Tower

OCC: Sorry for the long wait, it is hard to find time to write when you're on the move. I'll come back and edit the last few paragraphs when I have the time. For now, have fun with your Black sisters.

Edited by Sherper

Alia made her way from the library toward her rooms swiftly and quietly. She hadn't noticed the day slipping away from her, nor the night coming to full bloom, as she lost herself in research. It wasn't all that odd for her though. She had always had a tendency to let all other sense go as she focused on working out a puzzle. She was nearing the answer, she was sure of it, but not near enough to warrant staying in the library all night long. Whether she would sleep when she found her room was not a certainty; she'd more likely stay up longer than the moon working on the issue that had claimed her mind for the past week. 

She wasn't out of the common halls, not even close to her own home halls, when a hand reached out from the shadows and clasped around the Blue's shoulder. Alia was startled, but practiced enough not to let it show. She restrained herself from reaching out for the source; it was a calculated move which she knew would either be the right one, or cause her death.  

"Walk with me." a familiar voice whispered before the hand fell away from Alia's arm. The exchange was brief and she didn't break her stride. She knew better than to draw attention to someone going to such extremes to stay hidden. The two made their way through the tower, Alia careful not to walk too near the other woman, or to look as if they were on the same mission. She knew they couldn't keep separate for long and only hoped the woman would stop somewhere truly safe for them to talk.

They turned down corridors hardly used, traveling nearer the Accepteds quarters than those of the Aes Sedai. Accepted should all be tucked in bed, and those who were not should at least not be near to where the sister were heading. The longer they walked the more Alia's nerves drove at her to run. If they were seen skulking around after dark in the unused parts of the tower only the Great Lord knew what would come of it. She began thinking of ways around the trouble that could come of it -- how likely would it seem to claim she was hiding in the shadows and I followed her our curiosity? I certainly have more friends than her, perhaps someone with good credentials saw her waiting for me in the shadow of the main hall. 

Before long the woman stopped and beckoned for Alia to approach. She had to trust the woman that no one was near. She had long since dismissed the thought that it was a trap. This woman would never cross her in the tower, not with the amount of dirt Alia had on her. Surely she knew if she brought Alia down, Alia would bring her down with her. 

The woman spoke in a whisper, but even still it carried in the silence of the night. "I apologize for this, but a letter would not be safe, no matter how much care I took. I would cover our conversation too, but I can't chance the use of the power being noticed. We are in danger. One close to my own heart will surely parish in the coming days. I have seen it, and it will be so. Rid yourself of connections, I'll do all I can to assure it is not you." 

The woman's voice trembled as she passed the message to Alia who had no idea of how to reply. She had many questions for her sister, but she was uneasy with the location they were in. It was logically a safe place, if anywhere in this light-infested tower was safe, but still she was not one to openly speak with the sisters of her heart in such a manner and the open tower halls were not where she wished to talk of the things she had on her mind now. She knew they couldn't chance their meeting being discovered but she had to know, "Can't we stop it? Discover the threat and eliminate it?" Alia whispered in return.

"I will do all I can, of course. You know how my gift works though, I assure you it is coming to one of us. Take care, and make distance." the woman replied with a nod before she made her way back into the shadow and down the corridor from where they had come. Alia looked around, not allowing the fear to take her, and took a corridor leading down a hall which would wind her back to a small garden she used to frequent as an Accepted. She would call it nostalgia if she were seen; though she wouldn't chance being seen if she could help it. Any thought of sleep this night left her head. There was work to do, and a new puzzle to solve.

~ Alia Mariadoon

Aes Sedai of the Black Ajah

With the tension of discovery​ having temporarily evaporated, Ellisha's sense of curiosity took a firmer hold in her mind. What were two Aes Sedai doing up so late? And why were they sneaking around in this manner? She was sure they were in fact - Aes Sedai. The way of their speech, despite her only having heard in low whispers, was undenyably that of full Sisters. But what were they whispering about in the first place? Surely it couldn't be ​​that important as to need going out of the way to converse in an empty corridor - no less in the middle of the night. Something the women said tugged at the back of her mind, and Ellisha thought she sensed a distinct air of danger surrounding the two. Her sixth sense told her to stay very still, and to make sure they were not discovered.

She heard the soft sound of slippered feet meeting marble as the two outside quickly exited from the scene, having concluded their brief and very secretive conversation. Ellisha could feel Aril press against her back as her friend tried to listen in on the Sisters over her shoulder. It was a good thing that Ellisha was a fairly sturdy women, else the two of them would've very inconvinently toppled out of the broom cupboard door, to be greeted by two potentially wrathful Aes Sedai who had just found their obviously private discussion listened in on by a pair of nosy Accepted.

'We should follow them,' Aril suggested in Ellisha's right ear. 'What?!' Ellisha exclaimed, finding it hard to contain the sound to barely more than the whisper they were both maintaining. 'Are you mad?' The girl did not reply, but after a few seconds when the sound of footsteps had disappeared, Aril pushed past Ellisha and opened the door crack wide to step out in the corridor. It was empty. 'Wait, now just hold on, where under the light do you think you're going?' Ellisha hissed as Aril began walking down towards the right. 'I'm going to see if I can identify one of them. We should split up, there is two of them and two of us, that way we can discover both.'

Ellisha was incredulous. 'Split up? Going afte- Aril, stop.' She ordered, but the fiery haired women was already silently running down the lightless abyss of the unlit Tower corridor. She cursed softly to herself as she turned around and stared at the opposite end to where Aril had gone - where the other Aes Sedai had gone. 'Ellisha Falwein, you idle brained lummox. You're a bigger fool than I thought you'd be.' she muttered. Then, after a brief moment of pause, began walking to follow the other Sister. Her sense of curiosity was too great for her to miss this opportunity to find out something she was not allowed to. ​Other sensible women, like the ones Ellisha was trying so hard to become, would've immediately sought safety and jumped at the first chance to escape. Unfortunately for her much desired image of herself, Ellisha Falwein - the hopelessly curious Accepted, wasn't allowing that to happen.

Her grey hood and cloak billowing in the corridor draft behind her, Ellisha used her days sneaking aboard the deck of ships to silently navigate her way past the winding obstacles that presented themselves in front of her. The Sister had a considerable head start on Ellisha, who was forced to maintain a stealthy gait in case the sound of her approach was heard. After a few tense moments of uncertainty, Ellisha cautiously peaked around a corner and saw the stately Sister walking with her back turned towards where she was watching. Ellisha smiled then followed just out of sight, moving only when the Aes Sedai had made a turn to the next intersection.

She dodged from cover to cover, sometimes distancing herself from the Sister, whilst at others getting close enough to make out sketchy details of her pursuee. The woman did have brown hair, as Ellisha had confirmed earlier, but nothing of her facial detail could be seen through the perpetual darkness. The Aes Sedai wasn't wearing her shawl either, and her dress was nearly as nondescript as Ellisha's cloak, which told her very little other than that the woman doesn't want to be seen out and walking about.

They passed the fountain near another stairwell that led up to the Accepted Quarters and the woman came to an abrupt stop. Ellisha carefully concealed herself in the shadows, making sure her hood was drawn up close to hide her out of place brown hair. Not that it was necessary, the woman briskly made a left and walked towards one of the garden exits. Ellisha was about to break cover and continue following the woman when something made her stop dead in her place. Already half out of cover, the Accepted looked up and her breathe chocked in her mouth for the second time that night.

There, in front of the dim light provided by the torches a few corridors down, was the outline of a head as it peaked back around to the corridor where Ellisha was situated. The brown haired woman scanned the passageway, and Ellisha could tell she was searching for something. No doubt, for her. She was held in place - frozen and too afraid to even breath as she prayed that her cloak was enough to conceal her position. Seconds passed which, once again, felt to her like hours as she held her breathe and waited for the Sister's reaction that would determine her fate.

After a few more moments as the Aes Sedai made sure no one was really following her, the head disappeared around the corner and its owner continued along her course. Ellisha slowly and very deliberately, let out a breathe. Controlling the exhale to be as silent as she could physically manage. She thanked her lucky stars that she had trusted her instincts when she had. Something about the woman's pause in front of the Garden, then abrupt turn to the side had sent alarm bells ringing in Ellisha's head as soon as she saw it. Gut instincts were nearly always correct as her father used to say. ​

She made the decision then and there, that this entire excursion was too risky and that it would be best to follow logic for once and return to her Quarters. The curious part of her was painfully regretful at the lost opporunity, but she managed to force it down as she climbed the steps leading up to her room. Perhaps Aril had more luck than she did at finding out about her Sister. All Ellisha really got in the end was the colour of the woman's hair and a brief outline of her face. It wasn't enough to go by. She could pass a dozen different women tomorrow morning who would all look kind of like the one she saw tonight. Shrouded in darkness, everyone could look the same. It was thus a comforting sight when she finally saw the familiar view of her front door in the Accepted Quarters. She pushed it open and fell sleepily to bed without even bothering to change into a night gown. She would find out what news Aril had for her tomorrow.

~Ellisha Falwein

Accepted of the White Tower.

OCC: You can write Alia's perspective if you wish.

Aril isn't spotted so the other black wouldn't really be worth writing, for now at least.

I'll be posting Ellisha and Aril's conversation where they piece the information together, either today or tomorrow.

Edited by Sherper

'Well?' Ellisha stepped forward as soon as she saw the front door to Aril's bedroom open, and was in front of her red haired friend in an instant. The woman yawned, stretching her arms in the air, then gave Ellisha a confused look. 'Well what?' she asked, and Ellisha felt a wave of impatience bubbling inside her. 'Well, what happened to you last night? I was certain I got back here before you.' Aril shrugged, yawned again, then beckoned Ellisha to come inside.

Ellisha did, closing the door behind her then turning to face Aril. 'Well?' she repeated again as her friend took one of the two seats situated in front of the small fireplace. 'Well, nothing really,' Aril replied as she crossed her legs and settled further back into her chair. 'I didn't get to learn much from my end.' Ellisha let out a breathe, slightly regretful, though it had been what she had been expecting. 'Well it'd certainly be more than what I learned.' she sighed. 'My Aes Sedai nearly spotted me when I tried to follow her. Seems like they were both really paranoid about something. As if they really didn't want to be seen together.' Aril nodded at that. 'That was the impression I got as well.' then she paused. 'I did manage to follow mine all the way back to her quarters, though. But I had to stop once we reached the Blue's hallway.'

Ellisha pondered this new piece of information. She had spent most of her waking morning muling over the conversation they had overhead yesterday. The more she thought about it, the more it seemed to her like this was something serious - much more serious. Yet most of what had been said so far, had made little sense when taken at face value. Why did two Aes Sedai - in the Tower of all places - feel like they were in danger? And why would someone close to their heart be perished in the coming nights? Aes Sedai had no lovers - well, not public ones anyway, and certainly not ones they discussed openly with other Sisters. Unless they happened to have been pillow buddies? She shook her head, clearing the useless jumble of thoughts that clouded her mind. They needed something concrete - something that would lead them to a solid link.

'So we know one of them is a Blue,' she said into the silence, and Aril nodded. 'And the other one is of another Ajah as she was definitely not heading towards the Blue's chambers.' Again, Aril nodded. Ellisha pursed her lips in thought. It wasn't enough to go by, but it might just have to be a start. 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' she asked as she studied her friend's eyes. Aril raised an eyebrow, and fixed Ellisha with a skeptical look. 'I think...' Ellisha began, pointedly being unperturbed by her companion's expression. 'That we need to do some more digging and research before we get anywhere.'

Aril smiled, then fixed Ellisha with a rueful grin. 'Ellisha Falwein, some day, you'll dig yourself into a pit deeper than even you can get out of. Whose idea was it to go after them in the first place?' The brown haired Accepted only shrugged, a perfect imitation of Aril's earlier sign of indifference. She opened the door, 'Now,' she said after Aril had grabbed her satchel where she stored her equipment, 'I'll see what I find from the Tower Library. Something about the word "Heart" jumps out at me. I think it might hold another meaning - one which we do not know yet. In the meantime...' she suggested. 'See what you can do about finding the identity of that Aes Sedai you tailed. Someone might have noticed a particular Blue Sister returning especially late last night.'

Ellisha was about to turn and make her way towards the library when she remembered something. 'Oh and Aril...' she said, waiting to meet her friend's eyes. 'Be careful of who or what you ask. Aes Sedai are sly and manipulative, and we don't want word to reach any of their ears .' Aril rolled her eyes towards the ceiling, walking past Ellisha at the doorway. 'You know, I keep telling you this, but you just won't listen. You, Ellisha Falwein, are just as sly and manipulative. You just don't realise it yet - even after so many years.' Ellisha opened her mouth indignantly, but before she could form a retort, the back of her friend's head had already disappeared around the bend in the corridor.

~Ellisha Falwein

Accepted of The White Tower ​

Edited by Sherper

Ellisha blinked in surprise, still not quite certain what had just happened. She was standing outside the Tower library, and had just been very bluntly told to 'get out' by one of the attending Browns. Was it something I said? she wondered, then turned back to stare at the now firmly shut twin, oaken doors. She had gone to the library to look for clues that might help them interpret the conversation they had overheard. But when she mentioned the word 'heart' - one of their most vital pieces of intelligence - the usually placid Brown had all of a sudden, turned very 'unplacid' and very hostile - all but chasing her out with the end of a broomstick.

Ellisha tapped her fingers in thought, then looked down. She was still holding one of the books she had been reading when she was forced to flee from the Library. The volume was old and had seen much weathering since its last reader had touched it. More than a century ago. She suspected. Ellisha had found it collecting dust in one of the less visited depositories within the Tower's collection. It was an old history volume, whose content covered a very broad base of topics, ranging from the number of Aes Sedai living in the White Tower during the 5th Century, to the personal accounts of several librarians at the time. Yet, its pages looked to be as mundane as its cover. Ellisha suspected someone must have used it as a collection of things, as there didn't seem to be any central theme that encompassed the entirety of the book. It was part scrapbook, part history text, part journal, and a section even looked to be part of a shopping list. She had very nearly dropped it back on the shelf to rot for the next millennia, when she noticed the word 'heart' inprinted in a corner of one of the pages. ​

The book was not very specfic, yet - as Ellisha had at first suspected, the 'heart' appeared to be some kind of organisation - A secret organisation. Of Aes Sedai, 'within' the White Tower itself? It was possible. In some ways, the Ajahs themselves resembled socities. So it really shouldn't come as a surprise when there were other - more secretive, sects imedded within the Tower system itself. What was odd about it however, was how it could be possible for Sisters of different Ajahs, to be in this uniform 'heart' , when the very act itself would mean a breach of over a dozen unspoken rules - most dictated by the Sister's own Ajahs. It was all a jumbled mess - too many possabilties, not enough concrete answers. One thing was certain however, and this Ellisha was sure. She and Aril were on the trail of something real - not just another fabrication of their imaginative minds.

She began walking back towards her rooms, where she had agreed to meet with Aril to report. The thick aged volume, still tucked under one of her arms. She would study it in more detail when she had the time. The book would be a monumental project if she was going to try and pick at details, and would consume a major portion of her day.

Daylight was already passing when she crossed the corridors back to the Accepted room - the last rays of the sun, reflecting off palates of orange and yellow as it made its way below the distant hills. She had spent most of the day in search inside the library whilst she had sent Aril to find out what she could about the illusive Yellow. Her feet made gentle wisking sounds as the soft wool of her skirts brushed against her thigh - allowing her to glide effortlessly across the polished marble floor. The corridors were empty at this time of the day, so Ellisha found herself parodying the Aes Sedais; immitating their ridiculously eligent movement, and stone faced serenity. It always made her smile when she did this, and when Aril was around, the two of them would eventually burst out laughing at the level of absurdity. Aes Sedai had very silly constructs about social behaviour imbedded in their heads.

She climbed to the top of the staircase that led to the small circular garden which contained the Accepted quarters, when she noticed her door was slightly ajar. Ah good, she thought as she strode forward, towards her room. Aril's already returned. She pushed the door open and saw the figure of Aril sitting quietly on one of the room's armchairs. The fireplace was already lit, she noticed as the red haired woman looked up to see who had entered. 'Aril,' Ellisha said, 'did you find anything?'

Instead of replying immediately, Aril frowned. 'Something wrong?' Ellisha asked worriedly, going over to sit on the bed across from Aril. 'No.' The woman began, then stopped. 'Actually... Yes, though I'm not really quite sure what to make of it yet.'

Now it was Ellisha's turn to frown. 'Well?' she said, as Aril fell silent once more. The girl was being uncharacteristically hesitant today. Usually, Ellisha would find the other Accepted to an unstoppable torrent of words, always with something to say. Yet today... 'What exactly is it that you found?'

Aril's frown deepened slightly, then - 'I didn't find anything.' she said finally, looking up at Ellisha. 'which is the odd part. None of the servants I asked said they saw anyone leave last night.' Ellisha raised an eyebrow, but said nothing so the woman could continue. 'The thing is... I know one of them is lying to me.' ​Ellisha felt her mouth open in surprise. 'But... how di-' 'Because I saw one of them cleaning the hallways.' Ellisha clamped shut her jaw when she realised it was half open, then stared across at Aril. She licked at her dry lips and thought.

Aes Sedai can't lie - not straight out - from what she knew of the three oaths, the rod which all women swore on being raised, physically prevented words of untruth from being produced. But that did not apply to the servants. Was it possible some of them were in the service to this secret organisation? Ellisha decided it was very likely. ​​'I think we need to be more careful from now on,' she said, meeting the other woman's eyes. The wood crackled as the small hearth fire consumed its reserve of fuel. Once again, the room fell eerily silent. After a while Aril shook her head, 'so,' she said finally. 'What did you find?'

Ellisha pursed her lips. 'Just this book that i managed to carry out of the library,' she replied, holding the large volume out to Aril so the other woman could read. 'It might have some of the answers we're looking for.' Aril took the book and examined the cover page. ​'It doesn't have a title.' ​Ellisha nodded. 'I think that's part of the reason it was allowed to remain. The ​"Heart" ​we overheard appears to be some kind of ultra secretive organisation within the White Tower. From what I saw, the book only mentions it in passing, and because its other subjects were so obscure and incoherent, no-one would've been able to systematically categorize it. Which means...' ​Aril finished for her. ​'It could have been overlooked by someone wishing to destroy the evidence for their existance.' ​Ellisha nodded. 'Exactly.'

'​So...' ​Aril paused, apprehension tinging her voice. ​'What do you want to do about it? It seems all pretty serious, if Aes Sedai are really -that- involved. I mean... if they're willing to destroy Tower records to keep themselves hidden, we might get into a lot of trouble if we're found.' ​It was Ellisha's turn to pause this time. Aril was right of course, they were already potentially in deep trouble by digging this far. What would happen if they went even further?

'I think we continue with what we're doing.' She said. Her curiosity would be too great to allow her to stop now. Not when she has already scratched beneath the surface. She wouldn't be able to sleep soundfully for days if she let this slip. 'I'll find out what I can from this book, you keep watching the Blue's corridor to see if you can recognise the Aes Sedai you saw yesterday. You said last time you can probably match the hair style?' Aril nodded. 'Well good. Keep a close eye on it, and we'll meet back again tomorrow. I'll need some time to work out if there is anything else in this book.'

After a moment, the other woman turned to go. 'Oh and Aril.' Ellisha called after the red haired woman just as she was about to step out the door. She tilted her head, one foot already outside. ​'Yes?'

'Be careful,' she said, 'we don't want to take any chances that we don't have to. As you pointed out, this ​could ​get us in serious trouble.' Aril smiled back at her brown haired Aringillan friend. ​'And when has that ever stopped you from dragging me into your plots, Ellisha Falwein?' ​The two beamed at one another. It was a mutal understanding - something that has been developed over the course of sixteen years between the two. 'Good night Aril, just be careful.'

​'I always am.' ​The door closed to the dying embers of the fire hearth.

~Ellisha Falwein

Accepted of the White Tower. ​

Edited by Sherper

• 2 weeks later...

The night was drawing on Alia was no closer to sovlving the riddle of who was out to destroy her heart. She had thought she was on the trail twice but both of those leads dried up with nothing. She was not sure if it made her more relieved or more fearful when she'd wake to find no news of a death of a sister. Sure it meant that the vision had not come to fruition yet and there was still time to find the one who would strike before it was too late, but each sun rise with no word meant the threat could be just around any corner. She trusted the word of her sister who said she would do all she could to protect the Blue, but Alia knew that all she could do did not mean that she could assure the elimination of the threat.

Sitting here waiting to be ambushed in a room they would be wise to assume I'm in is hardly the smartest move I could make. It isn't as though I could sleep if I wanted to tonight. At least if I'm out there looking I have a chance to see something. 

It was the same thought that had decided her actions of staying out of her rooms through the last night, and once again she threw down her robe and made for the door leading to the Blue Ajah halls. 

As she left the Blue halls and made her way into the tower proper she had that nagging feeling of being followed once again. She had felt it the day she was first informed of threat, but she had written it off to a touch of paranoia, and try as she might to push it off it again she had known too many times when her instincts had lead her honestly. 

It seemed odd that someone who was clearly out to snuff her would simply follow for days, keeping just behind yet never making a move. As she lead the goose chase through the halls toward an area where she could come to a full confrontation in safety, Alia mulled over the options of who could be tailing her an why. It would need to be handled differently depending on the answers to those questions, but she had to be prepared with an response to any of them.

As she twisted through the halls toward closed of parts of the tower she was more and more sure that she was being followed; it wasn't imagination and it wasn't coincidence. Finally she turned one last corner and stopped, stealing herself to come face to face with the person hoping across shadows. As the woman turned the corner Alia just held off the weave air she held ready to slam into the attacker. The bands of the accepted dress threw her off.

"Child, what in the Light are you doing at this hour of the night, skulking behind aes sedai in the shadows?" As she asked the question she tried to place the girl's face. It didn't take her long to put a name to it, but that still didn't give her reasoning for having followed her. This one was far too curious for her own good. The answers coming from the girl put Alia on alert, she was clearly hiding more than she was saying. Alia was prepared to stay with the girl, grilling her until she fried.

There was a small clicking sound from around the corner as the girl began to answer. Alia knew the signal, she was not alone; she had backup now.

The more the Blue got out of the girl the more Alia was concerned about what she heard. The girl knew more than she should and eventually enough came out to prove that, though she was not the main threat, she was a threat. She knew the truth of what Alia was. 

The choices were limited by the end of the intensive questioning. It was always preferable to persuade the person off the trail to the Black Ajah, but it was clear this girl would not give up the hunt and it was clear that she would find Alia part of. Leaving the girl be was too much of a risk, perhaps she was the threat her sister had warned her of; that was not out of the question...she could be the cause of the loss of one of their heart, and that one could be her. It pained the Blue to think of destroying the girl when she hadn't even put all the pieces of the puzzle together. There was time to skew the puzzle pieces and a good chance the girl would never put them all together. If the girl did put the pieces together with the little it was clear she had, Alia knew it would be more of a benefit to have such a mind join the Ajah. Though leaving her to raise through the ranks with no ties and time to call them out was definitely reason to put her on edge. 

It seemed Alia wasn't the only one thinking of all this meant and what to do about it. Though it seemed someone else had come to a conclusion already. A figure stepped around the corner, swinging a wooden rod swiftly over the head of the Accepted. Alia shock was masked only with the speed of reply she made reaching to the source and pulling the air from the girl to still her reactive scream. Alia sent a glare to her black sister. "The easiest answer is not always the right one," she scolded. "We can't just go killing everyone who looks at us questioningly. We could have gotten her off our trail, or we could have primed her to join us. What were you thinking?" 

"I was thinking that I didn't want to get called out by a sniveling child, who can't follow simple rules and goes off after curfew on hunches she is not prepared to see the truth in. We don't need such people on our side, and if you willing to give her the chance to get away on the hope that you could spend the next decade being sure she was under your thumb, that was your choice, but I was not prepared to spend the next decade making sure you were wasting your time with this one. There are Accepted who would be worth the effort, not this one. And if we didn't get her, she would get us. Perhaps I acted heavy handed, but its done now, and I don't see you rushing to heal the girl." The Black sister stood relaxed as she spoke, knowing she needed truly justify her actions. What was done was done, and she knew Alia would not press or pout for long.

"I will arrange a horse, you be sure the job is done here and get her prepared as if she was to ride. I always hate to see the girls leave of homesickness, don't you? Especially when the party that rides for them in the morning finds them thrown from their horse and trampled. Shame." Alia said coolly before she took her leave of the scene. 

Alia Sedai

Black Sister

Two nights and still no progress. That was the frustrating part of this entire endevour. The author to this book was about as interesting as an aged badger's wall scratchings, for the amount of creative language choice, or at the very worst - consistency in topic, were next to abysmal for whoever the Sister was that wrote the book. Ellisha felt like setting the entire thing on fire - twice, during her extended sitting on studying the book. She had spent two entire night, sitting, and reading through notes on useless tidbits, grocery lists, and powder-dry recollections of every day life. Yet, every time she thought of throwing the book in a fire place, it would reward her with just enough to keep going.

The more she read into it, the more it was evident there was something more to the secret organisation which calls itslef a 'heart', than first meets the eye. Ellisha let out a yawn, resting her quill nibbed pen to one side, whilst she stretched both her arms and legs. She couldn't keep this up forever, of course. Accepted might be allowed some leyway in terms of study flexability, but that doesn't mean they were completely autonomous, yet. Her other research was most definitely suffering because of this.

She eyed the candle stick sitting on top of the cupboard drawer to the other side of the room. It indicated six in the morning, and Ellisha frowned as she looked at it. Once again, there was to be no sleep for her tonight, not proper sleep anyway. But what's strange was the absense of a particular individual from her nightly visit to Ellisha's room. Aril had yet to return from her nightly recon around the Blue Ajah chambers. Ellisha shook her head, it was a wonder how the girl did it. Ellisha had been sitting in a room for the past two days, Aril had been out and sneaking about around the corridors. She shrugged, and returned her attention back on the book in front of her. She would get through to the end - she was close.

She had also just reached a bit where the writing appeared somewhat... strained. As if everything the Sister to which the book had originated from, was under some kind of great stress at the time. She flicked through the pages, carefully, one at a time. It was still the same kind of useless mumble jumble which Ellisha could just skip over. But. There was something off about how the Sister wrote them. She was coming to the end of the book anyway, and whatever had happened, might be explained at the end. She turned the pages once more, and stopped, her frown deepening even further.

One of the paper pages didn't feel quite right. She returned to it, flicking the vanilla coloured sheet back and forth to test the weight. There is a hidden page inside here, she thought eagerly as she held the page in question closer to the candle light. Yes. There was definitely something in between. Ellisha carefully drew her letter opener from its sheath, slidding the slender metal rod between a gap within the two pages of 742, and 743. She pryed gently, and eventually... a slit appeared around a corner.

Fingers trembling slightly with excitement, she carefully ripped the two pages apart, and took out a third piece of paper. The small note contained letters on it, which looked to have been written in a hasty scribble, by an unsteady - yet familiar hand.

I don't know why I'm doing this, it said from the very beginning, and Ellisha found her eyes glued to the tiny note. Only I know that I can. They're coming for me. They, who I've once called my allies - my Sisters. I've entangled myself in something terrible, yet something which I know I cannot escape. I joined the order, pledged my alligence for the promise of knowledge and power beyond what the light could provide. I have made a grave mistake, I can see that now. I have given myself to the wrong master, and now... will soon pay the price for my incompetence. My position is in grave peril, they are getting close to uncovering what I truly am. And for that... My Sisters will not allow me to live. I don't know why I am writing this... perhaps you can call it a woman's last desperate act of seeking forgiveness for what she has done in her life.

I was part of the Black Ajah. My companions were darkfriends, and I... one of them. May the Creator be the judge, and the pattern be kind on the soul of the damned, that this note may find someone in the position of bringing down the darkness that envelops this Tower. Someone has just tripped my wards. My hour is here. Light forgive me....

The note ended abruptly there, the hand writing trailing off into an unsightly ink smudge at the bottom of the page. There was no signiture, no mark to indicate who the woman had been. Yet the full implication of the words... Dear Light above, Ellisha thought, and gasped with panic as the thought occured to her. They've been dealing with the Black Ajah the whole time. Aril! Ellisha scrambled from her seat, nearly tripping over from her chair. She doesn't know about this yet.

She quickly grabbed the walking staff from its place next to the door, and threw on a cloak before dashing outside. Please no... Please no... the words kept repeating itself in her mind as she ran, towards where she knew Aril would be. A few Novices and Accepted were already up and about as she turned corner after corner. They would undoubtly be seeking to finish an early breakfast, so more than a few looks of alarm and surprise passed her as they witnessed the Accepted run past wearing travel gear and carrying a weapon in her hands.

She skidded to a halt near the Blue quarters, and nearly ran into one of the full Sisters as she rounded the bend in the corner. "Have you seen a red haired girl, short - about this high." She held up her hands so it was just about to her shoulders." The Blue blinked rapidly a few times, evidently not used to be adressed so swiftly, or directly. "Er... no, my Child. Why under the lig-" She began to ask, but Ellisha was already bolting down the corridor again.

It was the same everywhere she passed. Blank faces, and confused expressions. "Aril!" She found herself shouting after a while, but then abruptly stopped. They might already have her. The thought was too hard to contemplate. At that moment a group of Tower Guards ran past the corridor beside her. As she watched, she caught the muttered grumbles from a few of them about Bloody woman, and Accepted. They seem a pretty grumpy group, as if they had just been roused from their sleep to perform an unpleasant job. She ran in front of the group.

"Halt! Guard Captain!" She order, as she turned around and held her staff beside her, cloak blowing rhythmically from the draft of the open aired corridor. "Where are you going?" The Tower Guards eyed her wearily, the nearly dozen of them fingering their weapons relfexively, though Ellisha really doubted they would ever dare use them against an Accepted. It was probably just out of habit. "One of the other Accepted has escaped." The one with the shoulder insignia marking him as a Sergeant answered, after a brief moment's pause. "Something about being homesick, and such. She has taken a horse and has rode off out of Tar Valon."

Something very hard, and very cold dropped inside Ellisha's stomach. Without another word, she turned and ran, once again. "Hey!" The Guard sergeant yelled after her as she disappeared around the corner. "Where do you think you'r-" She ignored the calls and the cries as Novice, Accepted, and even a few Aes Sedai dodged out of her way. No... No... No... ​

She realised where she was going now. Her mind was spinning, and her heart pumped too fast for her to feel any emotion apart from panic, and maybe anger. Anger at her own stupidity. She didn't bother to use a weave of the one power - her emotion too rampent to allow her to embrace the source. She raised her foot and laid it into the solid wooden frame, which bulked under her forward monentum.

The Mistress of Novice's door crashed open with a ​thump, ​and Ellisha walked inside, her wealking stick still held a loft like a quarter staff in both hands. The Mistress of Novices was already in, and by the expression that appeared on her face, she had not expected to see an Accepted front stomp into her room this early in the morning. Ellisha felt too coldness inside, so much it numbed her senses to feel the fear that usually associated with the sight of the woman in front of her.

"Aril Corland has been taken by the Black Ajah." she said, her voice as icy as glacier snow. "She was tracking the Ajah down, but was found. They've taken her and have taken her out of the city. We need to send a full rescue party out to save her."

There was no, 'maybes, if, or perhaps.' Ellisha Falwein bore down at the woman and demanded. Her friend was in danger, and she needed help - fast, else she was going to die. Her emerald eyes pierced down like poisonous vapers, their gaze transfixed on the other woman as she waited for an immediate response. Time was very short.

-Ellisha Falwein

Accepted of the White Tower.

• 3 weeks later...

Valeri whipped her head around when she heard her door slam open.  It was very early in the morning, and she normally had this time of the day to do whatever she wished.  She had just fixed herself a cup of tea, and had finished her breakfast.  Before her stood an Accepted, walking stick held in the air.  Ellisha had a frenzied look about her.  Her icy voice didn't help to make it seem as though she were stable as she spoke.  Valeri's eyes widened with a cold rage as she began to speak about the Black Ajah, and how they had taken her friend.  Valeri slammed the door shut and slammed a ward against eavesdropping down.  Ellisha had been in the White Tower long enough to know that the Black Ajah was just a myth.

Beyond that, she did let Valeri know that Aril was out of the Tower, and that she needed to be found.  "Child, calm yourself," she said evenly.  "You know very well that the Black Ajah does not exist.  The White Tower will use every source available to find Aril and bring her back."  She lifted the ward, letting Ellisha know that the subject of the Black Ajah would be dropped now, and as an Accepted, it was her duty not to propagate the matter further.  "Runaways must be punished when they return, but it will not last forever.  If you have any information as to where she is, I will be glad to use it in finding her.  Otherwise, do not mention that again, and get back to your studies.  The White Tower will find her with our own resources and our own time."

She felt an inner rage boil, as the woman in front her pointedly denied to offer any assistence. Fools! she thought as she grounded her teeth. ​

"Aril will be be dead by the time you find her." she growled, feeling her hands begin to hurt as they turned knuckle white from holding the staff. "This is th-" The Mistress of Novice cut her off, holding up a single finger and shooting her with the sternest look Ellisha had ever seen on the woman.

"That's enough, Ellisha. I will not have any more of this nonsense. There has never been - and never will be, any proof of the existence of Aes Sedai darkfriends! They're all silly rumours, fueled by careless gosip, and outsider superstition." the woman said, her eyes burning with a frenzied fury that nearly matched Ellisha's own.

The page! Ellisha suddenly remembered, feeling inside her cloak pocket to the crumpled piece of paper. A week ago, Ellisha herself wouldn't have believed the existence of the Black Ajah, if anyone had bothered telling her so. Yet the overheard conversation between the two Sisters, which she was now certain were both of the Black, and the page... This, was the undenyable proof she had needed to connect all the dots. If she showed Valeri this, the Mistress of Novices would have to beli-

At that moment another thought clicked inside her head. Why does Valeri want to deny the existence of the Black Ajah so badly? The woman definitely looked to be on the edge about something, and the sudden outburst of anger didn't appear at all natural. What if...

The lump of ice that had collected inside Ellisha's chest, snowballed even further as she realised something else. Anyone can be of the Black. Valeri... Oh light preserve us, I could be talking to a Black Sister right now! She took a reflexive step backwards, and carefully tucked back the crumpled page inside her pocket. Anyone can be Black.

The thought was haunting - no, worse. How many dozen of darkfriends had she passed through the corridors everyday? How many had she grown attached to and liked, as teachers and friends? Valeri Sedai - The Mistress of Novices, a person who she had looked up to almost as her second mother. Even she could be one them. You can't trust anyone, her mind kept yelling at her. Anyone can be a darkfriend - anyone!

Valeri Sedai frowned as she noticed Ellisha's sudden change of expression, and so she knew she had to steel herself for the worst. I've got to take control of my emotions! ​

She deliberately smoothed her face, the scowl disappeared from around her lips. Sixteen years of training in the Tower slowly took hold of her, as she mentally reigned all emotions into an impenetrable bubble. "I'm sorry Valeri Sedai," she began then paused, hesitating as if she wasn't certain of what to say next. "I... don't know what got into me. My friend Aril..." She lowered her eyes to the floor, feigning embarrsement to make the act more convincing.

Aes Sedai might not be able to lie - or, at least, the ones still walking in the light wouldn't. But Ellisha had no such limitations restraining her. There were no three oaths binding her - yet, so she intended to capitalise on this advantage as much possible. "I'm just so worried for that woman, sometimes. Ever since she became obsessed with finding the..." she trailed off yet again, clearing her throat after a short pause. "Them. Well, she had me all jumpy. And when I heard, she... well I just thought..."

Will she buy it? Ellisha kept wondering inside her head, as she trailed off for a second time. Her eyes were still downcast to the floor, so she couldn't see if the other woman was convinced or not. She had to find a way to divert the woman's attention. In case Valeri did turn out to be Black, the Tower darkfriends must not be allowed to suspect she knows of their existence. It was a gamble, but it was a gamble she just had to take. She held herself meekly, yet on the inside, Ellisha readied herself to embrace Saidar the instant the other woman tried anything.

~Ellisha Falwein

Valeri couldn't help but feel a surge of pride as she watched Ellisha calm herself down.  It was good to see the Tower's training work on someone with a spirit as fiery as hers, and in a situation as desperate as this.  Ellisha probably still felt those nerves, anger, and anxiety, but she kept them down and calmly spoke with the Mistress of Novices.  Valeri changed her own demeanor to be comforting as she walked forward and put a gentle hand on her tense shoulder.  "I understand.  You worry for your friend.  I promise we will do everything we can to bring her back safe," she said sincerely.

"But, right now, you need to take some time to rest and pull yourself together.  I know Accepted have a tighter schedule than novices, but try not to stress yourself so much with this.  I know you two are close, but you must care and think for yourself as well."  As she spoke, she gently turned Ellisha back toward the door.  She opened it let her hand fall from the girl's shoulder.  "I expect you not to bolster any rumors and stick to your studies.  Have a good night, Ellisha."

The door to the Mistress of Novice's quarter closed quietly behind her as Ellisha turned to study it. Others might have felt a sense of relief, or perhaps - even pride, at what she had acomplished. She had just managed to out-manoeuvre an Aes Sedai, letting the woman be fooled by her act. Yet there was no sense of pride inside her small ball of emotions. All she felt was a cold, lonely, lump of hardness at its centre.

Unconsciously, somewhere during the time spent in the Mistress of Novice's office, Ellisha had come to a horrifying conclusion. I can no longer have any friends, she thought. I can no longer trust. For trust, would become a weakness; a way for her adversaries to find and eliminate her. My last real friend died tonight. It was a bitter thought - a thought that threatened to engulf her entirety.

Instead of allowing it to take hold of her however, Ellisha started walking. Not for any particular purpose, but to just have something to do, and to put distance between herself and the door behind her.

She lost track of time as she walked. Slowly, the corridors of the Tower came alive around her as the other occupants busied themselves with their daily chores. Novices passed her, Accepted - Aes Sedai. She looked long and hard into each of their faces as they passed, and tried to judge which ones she could trust. It was a useless endevour, of course, yet her state of mind had no means of questioning its rationality. She walked as if in a trance, no longer registering the steps she took as she glided aimlessly around the marble corridors.

Ellisha had always known she was a hard woman. Things that should have broken girls of her age, barely made a mark on her. She had a rational mind, yet a similiarly rationised sense of stubborness. At that moment, that base instinct was telling her to get her act together, and to stop mooping around. Yet her other side; the side she had always neglected, simply told her to shrivel up and hide.

She came to an abrupt stop in front of a small wooden door. After a moment, she recognised where it led to. Aril's quarters was situated right next to Ellisha's. The two had been room mates, and then neighbours right through from Novicehood to Accepted. She turned the door handle then pushed, letting the hinges slide slowly open on itself. No figure with red auburn hair sat at the small writing table, or on the chairs and bed. Ellisha walked slowly inside, not sure what she expected to find in this room. Her friend is dead - a fact that now seems almost certain. She took a seat on the small single poster bed.

Using a weave of the one power, she closed the door with a small flow of air. The sound echoed dully in the small rectangular room. The sound of finality - a conclusion. She curled up into a ball on the bed and laid her head to rest against her knees. The air hummed with the sound of silence, as for the first time since she could remember, Ellisha Falwein - Sixteen years Acolyte of the White Tower and a grown woman of thirty-two, began to cry.

The tears did not stop - it was an endless torrent of sorrow and regret, guilt and loneliness. It gripped her; coming in like the tide of a raging tempest, dunking her head every time she tried to breathe. She cried like she never did before, not because she wanted to. Several times she attempted to regain some semblance of self control. Yet, as soon as the thoughts of her friend returned, she would find herself weeping once more. She didn't know how long she sat there and cried. Time was a distant, unimportant thing compared to the rush of agony that soon became part of her very being.

After a short eternity, when finally - blessingly - the tears ceased to come, Ellisha found herself feeling lost, in mind and soul as she made herself stand. The world felt like a very lonely place, looking around the now empty room. She rubbed the last rements of her tears with the back of her hand, then noticed the dressing mirror sitting on the writing desk.

Red rings outlined her eyes as she stared at the woman shown in the reflection. It looked like a pathetic thing; a useless worm of a human being. Ellisha felt herself hating the face that stared back at her - weak, fearful and completely vulnerable. Another wave of tears threatened to engulf her, which she only just managed to hold back through disgust and force of will. She hated that face - for what it represented. Get a grip on yourself woman. A voice appeared in her head. Crying will get you no-where. She shrugged the voice aside and stepped closer to the writing table.

Aril's desk - like Ellisha's own - was small, and made with a completely utilitarian mindset. It had two side drawers for storing things like pen, quill and extra sheets of parchment. The table top lay empty for the moment, say for the single dressing mirror that rested at its centre. Ellisha opened one of the drawers, not knowing what she was doing. Your friend is dead. Nothing you can do will bring her back.

She found the usual tidbits and bobble lying around the drawer; personal items, and small bits of jewlery which her friend had liked to purchase on occasion. She ignored these, then continued to fish through the rest. She stopped as her hands caught on a piece of paper near the bottom of the drawer. It was a very small sheet - creamy in colour and with the edges slightly creased with age, it was probably left there and forgotten since Aril never bothered to clean everything out from her desk. Ellisha carefully unfolded the sheet from its middle. It was a drawing. Done by practised hands, it showed two women standing side by side one another, with the background being a vague interpretation to the steets of Tar Valon.

Ellisha vaguely remembered when she and Aril had allowed someone to draw this for them. It was on the first day the two of them went out together both as Accepted - Aril having just gained her ring and banded hem. She stared down at the two faces, one slightly taller than the other, both with rueful childish grins on their faces. She is dead. The voice continued to speak in her head. There is nothing you can do for her. ​

Ellisha furrowed her brows as her eyes engrained the picture into her mind. She found she had come to a conclusion - a different one this time. She shook her head, once again ignoring the voice. There was something she could do.

Refolding the small piece of paper, she carefully tucked it inside one of her dress pockets. she picked up the walking staff from where she had dropped it next to the bed, then opened the door, walking outside. She immediately made for her own room, which was only a few paces away, the door still swung right open from her previous rush.

She closed it as she stepped inside, and found the huge leather volume was still where she had left it. Her hand dug inside another of her pockets, then withdrew the piece of paper which she had obtained from the book. She re-read the thing - line by line, word by word.

May the Creator be the judge, and the pattern be kind on the soul of the damned, that this note may find someone in the position of bringing down the darkness that envelops this Tower.

Ellisha stared for a very long moment at that line. ​Find someone in the positon to bring down the darkness that envelops this Tower. ​A small smile reached the corner of her lips, yet it was not a smile of joy. Ellisha knew she would no longer feel joy in her life. Her joy would soon only be the joy of revenge. Revenge at those who took her friend away. She threw the book into the roaring fireplace and watched as its flames engulfed the pages...

That night, Ellisha Falwein embarked on a war. A silent war.

~Ellisha Falwein

Edited by Sherper