A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Cooking Compulsions

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been tempted to do pumpkin cinnamon rolls... pumpkin is just a starchy sweet thing that can work in most any recipe. Cakes, pies, puddings, soups, breads, stuffing, veg side dish, anything really. I think it's a thanksgiving thing because they grow very large very easily and store a long time, so there would be tons of them around all winter into early spring when people in cold climates would otherwise starve.

I will eat literally anything if it involves cinnamon. 

I'm making a feta and pesto risotto with spinach and green beans!! It's my absolute favourite and such a staple cause I make enough to feed myself for several days haha

That sounds very delicious.  Tonight I think we're having the rest of our genovese sauce with gnocchi, and planning our regular nacho or taco night tomorrow.

ive been looking at countertop convection ovens bc our regular oven sets off the smoke alarm above 375 degrees, but a lot of the reviews say the glass doors shatter so... dunno.

maybe I'll just look at kitchen aid stand mixers instead.

yeah cinnamon sounds good... a recent binging with babish did cinnamon rolls and now I have a yen.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really up on vegetarian fun but... We have fabulous ice cream, stupid expensive fancy ice cream stores with giant chocolate dipped waffle cones and all, those are fun. There are a lot of small vegetarian and vegan restaurants even in small towns, so I'd check the internet anywhere you're going. Like we have a couple of of great cafes and hangouts that you wouldn't even know were vegetarian just walking in because the food is just that good. I would say ask the locals if you don't see it on the internet.

and then there's pie, which is usually vegetarian if not made with lard, and it's not usually made with lard. American pie well... what more can you say lol. 

Check out any neighborhood bakeries or even bakery departments in good supermarkets like wegmans. I believe our baked goods are fun and super yum.

oh my and bagels. A proper bagel shop is best but you'll find great bagels in supermarkets like price chopper, in the bread department too. Dunkin donuts bagels aren't bad at all, and I believe Tim Horton's are ok. At dunkin you can get a box of bagels and a bag of fixins like various cream cheeses, butter, jams, etc., and hey while you're there... donuts.... mmmmmmm....

some pizza is vegetarian, kosher pizza would be if you happen to see a kosher pizzeria. Most pizza would have cheese made with rennet though.

oh, ya, and there's usually a hippie store in every town, like our local down to earth, or other organic, natural food type place, where you can pick up a lovely variety of vegetarian and even vegan snacks and cheeses and all to make your own pizzas. I think chains like Trader Joe's have a good vegetarian selection.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone cooking something special for the holidays?

Latkes for us!!!  I'm ordering jelly donuts for Friday.

we're doing our round of cookies. 

i am gong to make oreo stuff chocolate chip cookies and oreo peanut butter for my partner though

We're working up to a home brined ham. Just got the pink salt. We did a quick dry cure this weekend that was surprisingly close to ham and quite yummy, but without the pink salt it isn't quite there.

Mum and I always make rumballs and usually end up experimenting with something fun we find on pinterest or somewhere like that. Hoping to get the kids involved this year. Any fun Christmas baking that three and four year olds can help out with? 

I think kids enjoy decorating cookies very much. Oooh and gingerbread or chocolate houses are super fun to decorate.

what do you have with latkes for dinner, Ryrin?

11 hours ago, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

I think kids enjoy decorating cookies very much. Oooh and gingerbread or chocolate houses are super fun to decorate.

what do you have with latkes for dinner, Ryrin?

I was just thinking. Not traditional but I have this great Asian soup base and I'm going to throw baby bok choy, tomatoes, Chinese cabbage, shallots, carrots, and noodles in there. My older son's significant other is Chinese and I learned a few things when I was up there for his surgery.

We get together with one of my friends and we make and decorate Christmas cookies, then go out for a drive to look at all of the lights. After that, we go back to the house for hot chocolate. It's a very fun tradition. We really love Mexican hot chocolate.

I made gingerbread men. I decorated them like a preschooler but they were yummy. I have more dough in the fridge and sugar cookie dough too. Decorating is not as easy as they make it look on tasty but nevertheless I will persist.

it's fun. 

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill