Brown Cooking Compulsions

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also I make pretty epic home fries.

They're really simple. I've never used a recipe. Cut up enough potatoes to thoroughly cover an oiled baking sheet without layering them and pre-heat the oven to 375, put them in for 20 minutes.

Mix them up, dribble some olive oil on top, give them a thin layer of salt and enough pepper for a fairly thick and visible coat, finish it off with some parsley and put them back in for another 15.

Chop up one whole onion while they're cooking, spread it across the top along with a whole ton of garlic (I've taken to buying minced garlic in bulk) and give them another 10 minutes.

Mix it all up, nudge the oven up a hair, give them another 15.

Mix them again, set the oven to 400, give them 10.

Add another 5 minutes if needed.

They probably don't need to be taken out and tossed as often as I do it, but the flavor is always really well distributed, so I'm not going to change it up.

I did it right if the potatoes are just starting to brown on the edges and the onions and garlic are thoroughly cooked in but not quite burnt.

Today was the first day I cooked in the oven for a long while and those look delicious! I made salmon with seasoned little yellow potatoes and green beans.

Edited by Ryrin

Yum Shad, I will try it!

And happy restaurant week! Sushi tonight.

I can look at any menu for an hour, blank, and I will almost always choose hamburgers.

Dairy spaghetti sauce - simmer 2 cans or 2 lbs chopped tomatoes with 5 tbsps butter and a halved peeled onion for 45 minutes. Serve on pasta. Nothing else, that’s it. You can fish out the onion and eat it while the pasta cooks.

• 2 weeks later...

My 30 Second Chili is a hit with the kids :)

Drain a can of black beans and a can of corn, set it on the stove for a minute or two and keep adding shredded cheese until it's thick and pasty. Add salt and chili powder until it tastes epic, top if off with a bit of cayenne pepper, gg

That sounds delicious :happy:

Yesterday was sushi night again, delivery this time. And our favorite bbq place just started delivering, so until I feel better looks like delivery and leftovers.

Except tonight we maybe have salmon cause that’s practically as easy, and wegmans is delivering the groceries so yay.

Today was haluski day.  :happy:

Who would have thought that for all the complex concoctions out there, the most delicious thing in the world to me would be a simple mix of cabbage, onions, noodles, butter, and salt.

(Ok it takes a lot of caraway seeds too, but that didn't sound minimalistic enough.)

Okay so we had chili tonight and now I really have a hankering for some cornbread muffins. I always just used the little box mix but that isn't an option. Help!!!!

*Turns on brown bat baking signal*

Edited by Turin Turambar

Yummmmmm cornbread!

Honestly the jiffy mix is awesome, and if that’s not available, you can add a cup of cornmeal and a can of creamed corn to a yellow cake mix and it really good, but I’m pulling up a couple I really liked

Posting this to save it - super moist, super good

1 c. cornmeal

3 c. all-purpose flour

1⅓ c. sugar

2 Tablespoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

⅔ cup vegetable oil

⅓ cup. melted butter

2 Tablespoons. honey

4 eggs, beaten

2½ cups whole milk

2 tsps vanilla

Mix all till combined, bake in greased 13 x 9 at 350 45-55 minutes, till golden and starting to show cracks on top.

PS: it's cornbread. Basel

Couple things - you can use all oil and skip the butter 1 cup total oil), and you can skip the honey and/or all or most of the sugar if you want savory. You can add a cup of shredded cheese, some crumbled bacon, some chopped chili peppers if you like.

I’d just be guessing on the timing for muffins, but I’d check them in 15-20 minutes. They’ll probably take the same time as the ones you make from mix.

When I was a kid I’d fill the muffin tins half full, drop a couple teaspoons of peanut butter and a teaspoon of jelly, and top with enough batter to fill 2/3 full or so. I don’t know if grownups would like them but I sure did,

My favorite go to slice for basic, good, easy American home style recipes is taste of home - this is their corn muffin recipe

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup cornmeal

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup shortening or oil

1 cup milk

…………………………………………

In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add eggs, shortening or oil and milk; beat for 1 minute. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until muffins test done.

You can cut the sugar way down, cause these are very sweet.

Here's a less sweet version from the same source - they call these coffee shop corn muffins

1-1/4 cups cornmeal

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk

3/4 cup vegetable oil

In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugars, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat egg, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Again, you can cut the sugar waaaaayyyyy down

Here's a very good copycat version of jiffy mix to have on hand. And there are some classic recipe variations given on the page.

http://www.food.com/recipe/jiffy-corn-muffin-mix-copycat-345502

And here's one that came out really nicely, but only if you like pumpkin spice things. If you can't find pumpkin any winter squash will do, or mashed yams or sweet potatoes.

Pumpkin Cornbread

whisk together:

2 cups pumpkin puree ( 1 cup for a less gooey and pielike product but I like gooey and hey, it's healthy)

1/4 cup light brown sugar

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1 1/4 cups cornmeal

1 cup all purpose flour

1 tablespoon white sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1/2 cup (1 stick) earth balance, melted, or oil or any fat (could have reduced by half with no harm)

12 oz can Amber woodchuck cider, or any cider, or apple juice, or water or whatever you have.

1/2 cup soured milk

2 tablespoons honey, warmed (plus extra for drizzling)

bake at 375 ° F in greased 13 x 9 pan about 40 minutes. drizzle with honey while hot and let it sink in.

cut after 10-15 minutes.

butter it if you dare.

Niiiiice!! Thanks Cindy.

Jiffy is the bomb. I may give that recipe a go on Friday.

Thank you for giving me the oppportunity to bubba :happy:

Ya, jiffy is hard to beat. That link in the quote mess above is a very close copycat for it.

I just put it in my “copy me that” app, which is a nderful thing if you like copying recipes from the interwebz.

Let us know how it comes out!

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

I think we're gonna try the copycat version. Yellow cornmeal isn't a thing here but we've discovered that polenta is basically the same thing.

After doing proper halloweening this year, Thanksgiving is next and we need to make sure we have a good spread, with enough simple stuff for possible fussy eaters ... who don't like turkey lol

Ham is totally cool for thanksgiving. So is duck and goose. Most people like the side dishes best anyway.

And white cornmeal is fine. I never taste a difference. But ya, polenta is the same thing :).

Yes. amazon. I can't bring myself to pay so much for it. I mean 2 quid a box. I will be trying the knock off recipe first I think. 

Thanks again for the great ideas. 

Very welcome :)

I can riff on cornbad for days, there’s a million ways to go. I might have to make some now but I was thinking more about soda bread cause I want to use up some milk. Cornbread might go better with the cinnamon chicken tho.... hmmmm...

The one with the yellow cake mix is like chi chis cornbread and is really dessert like. The pumpkin cornbread was very like pumpkin pie.

I’ll be committing culinary heresy tonight and making a sweet soda bread with dried cherries. I’ve read what the preservation of Irish soda bread society has to say about it but we like sweet bread with cherries so there ya go. I feel the same about the southern argument against sugar in cornbread. T may be historically accurate for the south but it doesn’t taste good to me without at least a little sugar.

We make jalapeno cheese corn muffins. Very tasty and depending on the heat of the pepper, usually with a kick too.

And you can make one dish meals with corn meal too, by adding veggies and maybe meat to the cornbread before you bake it.