DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aiel Spears

DojoToad

Looking for some guidance on getting some Aiel spears made.  I've been in martial arts for several years and at one tournament I was at, one of the competitors was using a Klingon Bat'leth for his weapon form.  I'm not a Trekkie, but I thought that was way cool and wanted to do something similar.  I initially thought of Perrin's ax, but then decided on Aiel spears instead - then I could incorporate kicks in my form as well as unique weapons/shield/garb.  Seems to go well with the training I've been doing.

I've done some internet searching and found different styles of spear blades, shields and cadin'sor.  Spear shafts have been described as anywhere from two to four feet in what I've found - is there anything definitive?  Veils from the cadin'sor have been pictured as beige or black - does it matter?  I always thought black-veiled Aiel meant they were, well, black...

Some of the shields I've seen seem to have a lot of metal - others almost none?

Any input on blade design, shield design/materials, and cadin'sor design/colors would be appreciated.

All I know is Aiel veils have always been described as black.  I just assumed their shields were more of a hide type seeing how heavy a metal shield might be and how quickly the Aiel like to move.  I know for cadin'sor there are subtle differences so Aiel can identify sept, clan, and what group they belong to like water seekers.  They always expressed frustration in the books that wetllanders could never tell the difference between one aiel and another and they.  Ultimately you might have to try and ask Harriet or Brandon , they would be the ones with the knowledge you are seeking.

Hide buckler shield

The buckler is a small round shield, typically between 8 and 16 inches (20-40 centimeters) in diameter

http://www.forensicfashion.com/files/1900somaliwarriorshield.jpg

The head wrap was tan/brown and the veils are most certainly black. As for the spear, I believe it is 3 feet of wood and a foot long spear head. I am pretty sure that is how they have been described, in the Dragon Reborn or the Shadow Rising. I would have to go look.

Thanks for the replies.  Did some more research, and the closest real world equivalent seems to be the iklwa used by the Zulu. It is described as having an overall length of 38" with a head in the 13-14" range.  Though their shields were much bigger than the bucklers of the Aiel.

Seems before Shaka Zulu arrived on the scene, all the tribes used long spears and stood in lines throwing them at each other - with very few injuries on either side.  Shaka decided to take it up about ten levels.  The Zulu still used the long spear for the initial joining of battle, but then his warriors closed to melee range with the short spears to devastating effect.

That was indeed one of the influences. He has a number of answers along these lines:

INTERVIEW: Jun 27th, 1996

AOL Chat 1 (Verbatim)

SERAPH23

First off, I'd like to say thanks Mr. Jordan for providing my family and I countless hours of reading enjoyment, and I'd like to ask you something about the Aiel, well, who are they?

ROBERT JORDAN

You're welcome. And they are the descendants of the pacifists who were in service to the Aes Sedai in the Age of Legends. If on the other hand, you mean the source of the culture...in my mind, they contain some elements of the Apache, some of the Zulu, some of the Bedouin, and some elements of my own including that I rather liked the fact of making the desert dwellers blue-eyed and fair instead of the usual dark-eyed, dark-skinned.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived