DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Age of Legends naming system

NeverTame

I've been wondering about this for the past few days and finally realised that hey, I can ask here. Aren't I the bright one. Anyway.

In the Age of Legends people were born with two names and earned the third one. As we all know. But which of the names, on those known AoL characters who have three names, is the special earned name?

I used to just assume it was the last one, until I came across Ilyena's wiki page, which tells me that her full name was Ilyena Moerelle Dalisar until she married Lews Therin Telamon, at which point she became Ilyena Therin Moerelle. (I'm assuming this info is from the Big White Book because the wiki doesn't cite sources on this one. My BWB is sadly half a continent away so I can't check.) And it doesn't seem likely to me that they would give up the earned name upon getting married, so... Does this make it safe to assume that the middle name is the earned one?

The final name is the honour. 

Lews Therin was born with that - Telamon was the honourific. 

INTERVIEW: Apr, 2003
Budapest Q&A (Verbatim)
QUESTION

Does Telamon mean "dragon" or does it mean "Kinslayer" or is it something else?

ROBERT JORDAN

What? In Lews Therin Telamon? No, no. It means something else. That's his name. Lews Therin is the name he was born with. Telamon, a name he was given later.

INTERVIEW: Apr 20th, 2013TEREZ
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but in the Age of Legends, was the middle or the third name the honorific? Like, Lews Therin was his first and last name, and Telamon is the third name that he got when...
MARIA SIMONS
Yeah. Like Berid Bel, and then Medar.

Edit: I'm not sure what's the deal with Ilyena. It may be a mistake or something to do with marriage customs. 
Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Alrighty, thanks! :)

I'd be inclined to go with "mistake" on the Ilyena one, then, because Age of Legends doesn't strike me as sexist enough to make a woman give up her highly prestigious earned third name upon marriage.

Edited by NeverTame

• 6 years later...

I’m just curious is Telamon to mean what it does in Greek ‘to uphold/tolerate’ or is it in the old tongue the dragon as Amon in old tongue means dragon.

the other one of interest is tedronai, does it mean ‘knife of dreams’ or something else?