DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Couladin the Darkfriend?

Bannakaffalatta

Alright, so I read, and re-read the WoT series as I am sure a lot of you do as well. I am now reading The Fires of Heaven, and I keep getting distracted by one thought, 

Is Couladin a Darkfriend?

The main reason I ask this question is because I am putting together a spreadsheet for all characters in the series, and I have a Darkfriend section and a Shaido Aiel section. Couladin has to go in one or the other, and I know of no definitive proof to put him in the Darkfriend section. I know Asmodean put the Dragons on his arms to distract Rand, but I don't know if that is proof enough. I don't like the guy, and I would like to put him under Darkfriend, but I don't want to be arbitrary about it.

i figured it could be something like that. That's why I don't have Masema under darkfriends, I felt that it was made clear he was used. But in TSR, Mat notes a conversation that Couladin has with Hadnan Kadere (the darkfriend that came into the Waste with Lanfear and Asmodean) and walked away empty handed. That convo and Asmodean putting the Dragons on his arms is what keeps hanging me up on the question. 

And the spreadsheet is solely for keeping track of the characters, I like to categorize stuff, and I am also taking a shot at giving every character I can an age, though the references are usually vague. Any character questions I have, if any, I like this site

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~karlh/cgi-bin/wot.cgi

I've read the series a couple dozen times, except the last three books, and I just wanted to do something with it.

I doubt Couladin started out as a DF.  I think to be a true DF you had to dedicate yourself to the Dark One.  He might of just been the ambitious type who believed the end justify the means.  He also might of had some compulsion used on him to ensure he would never surrender to Rand, he did seem pretty insane at the end. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived