DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Seeking the Truth ( Interrogation Training )

Te'Oran

Amahn Luthgar awoke early to the cold air of his sleeping quarters. With a slight shiver he sat up, wrapping the thick blankets he had kicked off in his sleep around his shoulders tightly. He sat there in his bed for a moment before finally throwing the blankets off and standing up drowsily. His balance shifted awkwardly with each step he took to a porcelain washbasin positioned in the corner of his small room. It was one of the few furnishings in the room other than one stout wooden chair on the opposite end, a polished wardrobe, and a bed centered in the middle near the only window. As he was walking he stepped through a stream of bright morning sunlight which temporarily blinded him.

Amahn winced as the cold water from the basin ran down his skin and began scrubbing quickly in an attempt to speed up the process of washing. When he was finally done he dried himself with a thin, tattered towel. It took only a short while after to make his way over to the wardrobe and dress himself in common wool underclothes.  When he was done he threw on various bits of armor and gripped down onto a snow-white cloak, embroidered with a red shepherds crook and a golden sunburst. He threw it over his shoulders, securing it around his neck. He had been informed to meet an instructor today, for what exactly he was still not sure. What it is matters not, i'm tired of just sitting around! 

With that thought Amahn walked over to the gruff-looking, stout wooden door. He slid the bolt out of place and stepped out into the hall. Slamming the door shut behind himself. He stepped off down the hallway, his heels clicking loudly with each step across the well-worn floor. Eventually he found himself in front of an open corridor that led out into the court yards. He was told he was to meet his instructor at the pavilion, from there he would receive further instruction. He stepped out onto the court yard, walking across it quickly to reach the pavilion. His heels kicked up light tendrils of dust with each step that floated off behind him in the wind.

Finally he reached the pavilion and stood at attention, waiting. One thing he had learned while being at the fortress was that ranking officers went on their own time, and it was in the best interest of those under the command to always wait patiently and give as little lip as possible. Amahn had left his sword back at his sleeping quarters when he came. That was another thing he had learned while being there. Unless told otherwise, when coming to someone of rank, never come armed. As he stood there waiting he began to drift off in thought, watching men work their sword forms a short distance off at the training grounds.

Edited by Te'Oran

Evelyn Shirale awoke and felt the breeze entering her quarters though the window of her quarters.  She had received notice that a new Seeker would be reporting to her for Interrogation training.  He wondered how the boy would react to the somewhat unnerving nature of questioning darkfriends.  She made a note to teach him that even darkfriends could be turned back to the Light.

Evelyn was tall and athletic with light brown eyes and black, curly hair that hang to her jawline.  She fixed her hair and got dressed in her Inquisitor's cloak, picked up her equipment, and walked out into the brisk morning air.

A young man was standing in the pavillion at attention.  Apparently, he had been waiting for a bit, but he seemed to know that sometimes, Inquistors worked on their own schedule.

"This one might do well," Evelyn thought, walking up to the boy as he turned to acknowledge her.

"Seeker Amahn Luthgar?" she asked and the boy acknowldged that she was correct.  "I'm Inquisitor Evelyn Shirale.  I'm here to train you in interrogation techniques.  Please follow me," she continued in her no nonsense fashion.

She turned and walked sensing the young man following her.  She led him to a room that had several different interrogation tools and shut the door as the young man entered.  She saw Amahn eye the tools on the table and then look at her waiting for instructions.

"First of all, I would like to know what you think is the purpose of the Hand of the Light and what you expect of this training," Evelyn started the lesson wasting no time.

Amahn straightened his stance a bit as his instructor approached him and was shocked to find out that she was a female, though he gave no sign of his surprise. He knew all to well that offending a female with something to prove could be the downfall of even the strongest of men. And she's not bad looking at that, he thought to himself. Finally she stopped in front of him, " Seeker Amahn Luthgar? " she asked in a questioning tone, and he nodded to her in answer.  "I'm Inquisitor Evelyn Shirale.  I'm here to train you in interrogation techniques.  Please follow me," with that she turned on her heels as if she already knew that he would follow for a fact. A slight grin crossed Amahn's face, though he didn't dare let her catch a glimpse of it.

The two walked together for a short while, proceeding indoors before they finally came to a room with an open door. As they continued into the room Amahn spotted a vast array of questioners tools laid out across a stout, yet well worn wooden table. After a short observation he heard a door shut loudly behind him and he averted his attention back on the female. What was her name again? He wondered as he looked at her expectantly, finally she decided to speak up, "First of all, I would like to know what you think is the purpose of the Hand of the Light and what you expect of this training," she said. The lesson had clearly begun.

Amahn thought for a short while about how he was going to go about answering this question and finally decided. " I believe the purpose of the hand is to break down the many walls of lies that the Shadow hides behind and break them down. Then rebuild them in the image of the Light, as barriers against the Shadow. " He looked at her expectantly after he had answered. He hoped she had found his answer to be acceptable. He once more adjusted his stance, it was almost as if he were mimicking the traits of a wooden plank.

Edited by Te'Oran

Amahn remained silent for awhile before answering, "I believe the purpose of the hand is to break down the many walls of lies that the Shadow hides behind and break them down.  Then rebuild them in the image of the Light, as barriers against the Shadow."

Evelyn considered his answer.  It was very well spoken, so she nodded and said, "Very good.  Now we have many ways to determine if someone is a Darkfriend. Our jobs as members of the Hand of the Light is to make sure that Darkfriends are brought to the justice of the Light.  Remember there is redemption, but most Darkfriends will not accept it.  They have been completely corrupted by the Shadow."

Evelyn paused for a moment, letting it sink in, and crossed the room to look out the window.  She could feel the young man's eyes following her.  Evelyn knew that she was attractive and often attracted the attention of the men in the Fortress, but Amahn showed some tack.  He didn't make any move - respecting her as an Officer.  The young man knew his place.

She turned and continued speaking.  "Let's say a 'Darkfriend' is brought before you.  What would you do?  How would you break down the walls and rebuild them?"

Evelyn considered Amahn's answer for a moment. He watched as she stepped across the room slowly, gazing off for a moment, and then turning back towards him. "Let's say a 'Darkfriend' is brought before you.  What would you do?  How would you break down the walls and rebuild them?" She said to him. Amahn considered the question for a moment, letting it sink in fully before he began formulating an answer. He scratched the side of his neck lightly for a moment and then went into his answer.

" Well, I suppose I would start by making this 'Darkfriend' admit to his sin. Going to whatever extremes I thought might be necessary, even if it meant harm to the individual. Which in truth would still be better for that person than dwelling in the Shadow even a second longer. " He paused for breath for a moment. Thinking of how to correctly word the rest of his answer. " As for ' Rebuilding ' those walls... Well if possible I would try to get them to come to the light after confession. If not... Sometimes its better to destroy a wall completely and put another in its place than to try restoration. " 

Amahn looked at Evelyn intently, taking a brief moment to observe her beauty. Of course he was discreet as he did this. With a sigh he shrugged his shoulders. " That is the best I am able to explain I fear, i suppose I could go into a bit more detail but certain bits are better left unsaid. " He relaxed for the first time since entering the room. Awaiting a response from the female officer in front of him. He began tapping his foot nervously at the prospect that his answer might not have been that which she was looking for. Blood and ashes, I hope I can make it through this. Shes about as intimidating as the old gruff, and without even trying! 

His face remained cool as their eyes met...

Evelyn listened carefully to the young man's answer before nodding her assent. Amahn would do well, but still wasn't quite ready to discuss those things in which the Hand got their answers Evely understood. Interrogation was a grim thing. He would learn in time.

Evelyn continued, "You are willimg to do whatever it takes to uncover the truth. With that attitude, you will go far in the Hand of the Light. Going back to our Darkfriend in question. How do we know he's a Darkfriend? How do we determine guilt or innocence?"

Evelyn really wanted to know his answer to this. Many of her colleauges assumed anyone brought to them was a Darkfriend. Would Amahn do the same?

After that, Evelyn would get into the grim portion of interrogation. She wondered how the boy would react when she taught him how to use the tools on the table.