DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"How Feminism Hurts Men"

Elgee

I was speaking about equality of opportunity rather than equality of outcome. Of course, where we are born, who our parents are and a myriad of other factors effect opportunities. However, equality in this area is still a worthwhile goal. We all start somewhere, but artificial barriers based on race, gender, religion, etc. should not determine/limit which opportunities are available and which are not.

Lol, when I tried to type "born" autocorrect changed it to "reborn."

*Sneaks off to do some google searching, and then waddles back in.* Ahaaa... I see. :ph34r:

Equality of outcome didn't really cross my mind hahaha. I was thinking more along the lines of equality of opportunity like you are. So we can agree on the definition of equality as being "equality of opportunity." We are also 100% in agreement that it is a worthwhile goal. "Equal Rights" is also a worthwhile goal for that matter. Finally, it is also true that one's background, upbringing, environment e.t.c all affect opportunities. So we agree on a lot.

Feminism plays its part in working towards equality of opportunity, but it is incapable of achieving it due to its focus on women. If you disagree with this statement, then it is probably our main disagreement.

As I've said before, I do believe feminism can bring about equal rights... but I think we can agree that equal rights and equal opportunity aren't one and the same. Having said that, feminism is definitely a movement headed in the right direction and it does have worthwhile intentions. I believe that the movement, or collection of movements(including feminism perhaps?), that accomplish equality of opportunity would need to focus on a variety of "demographics" to achieve equality.

(That is one awesome autocorrect! :laugh:)

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not about feminism really but about equal rights but I've just met an interesting situation. I was trying to find a room to rent and about 90% of ads say "Only for women"!  (I guess others don't say it but will prefer women anyway)

I wonder if it's possible to rent a room in Moscow if you are a guy at all.

It seems our society have lots of prejudices about any social group.

Whoa... that is definitely interesting haha. And you're absolutely right. Pretty much every social group has to deal with something.

I guess what equal opportunity comes down to is valuing people as the individuals that they are. Without meeting, talking to, getting to know someone there is only so much you can tell about them at a glance. Even when their actions seemingly display who they are, the actions are but the tip of the iceberg. Overcoming stereotypes, prejudice, labels, and preconceptions is an important aspect to creating equality.

While judgements do serve a purpose, they must be managed, and can not be allowed to take the upper hand in an interaction. Whether the other party is a man or woman, regardless of ethnicity and social background they should be treated as human beings. That is the one common denominator... we are all human and at the end of the day, we all want the freedom to live our lives in physical, and psychological peace. One of the biggest and most important hurdles... is going to be crossed when we learn to value each and every human being, and treat them with the respect we all deserve.

I don't know if there'll ever be a day when everyone is worthy of such respect, but on the day that everyone gains such respect anyway... our world is gonna be totally freaking awesome!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5697965

"Acid Attack Survivors Pose For Photo Shoot, Show Us What 'Beautiful Really Means'

"They may not bear the features of typical models, but their beauty is undeniable. Five Indian acid attack survivors boldly posed before the camera recently to shed light on their plight and to help fulfill their dreams. Rahul Saharan, 24, a photographer who has long been involved with Stop Acid Attacks, a group that gives medical and legal help to victims, decided to take on the project in order to give the women a powerful platform to tell their stories."

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted here before, but I just saw the title of the thread. I would like to bring up that feminism can also hurt women, too. A lot of feminists complain about stereotypically feminine women, and say "these aren't real women!" or that real women don't act that way. They also sometimes complain about thin women. I seriously despise feminism because of that, even though I'm a girl. I really hate it when feminists bash Disney just because the princesses are feminine, wear dresses, and fall in love. Most of them are positive female role models.

I also hate it when feminists bring "we don't need a man!" to such an extent that they start refusing to marry a man and trying to get all other women to do the same. If everyone did that, that would be the end of the human species.

I haven't posted here before, but I just saw the title of the thread. I would like to bring up that feminism can also hurt women, too. A lot of feminists complain about stereotypically feminine women, and say "these aren't real women!" or that real women don't act that way. They also sometimes complain about thin women. I seriously despise feminism because of that, even though I'm a girl. I really hate it when feminists bash Disney just because the princesses are feminine, wear dresses, and fall in love. Most of them are positive female role models.

I also hate it when feminists bring "we don't need a man!" to such an extent that they start refusing to marry a man and trying to get all other women to do the same. If everyone did that, that would be the end of the human species.

talk abuot not even knowin what feminism is...

obviusly when feminists point out that the "stereotypically feminine women" arent "real women," they are pointin out, in their view, that these women who folow cultural norms in the modern culture are basicaly moulding themselves into roles prepared for them by patriarchy, and therfore they arent, by that thinking, "real women" becuse they basicaly are becoming the sexualised objects that patriarchy demands of them rather than trully expresing themselves as women. i would agree with that thuogh i wouldnt have put it as such women arent "real women" so much as they are brainless, and brainlesss is a cross-gender phenomenon. given that rationale, criticising disney for its female charactrs over the year i would say is valid criticism - most women in disney films up until more recently are semi-helpless (the classic damsel in distress), air-headed, passive, conforms to typicall patriarchal gender roles, etc., while those women who didnt were often the villian. i can make that sort of observation because im actually familiar with the subject matter; the fact that your mistaking feminism for whats called militant feminists, a very smalll manirity of feminists albeit loud, and saying you "hate" feminism just becuse of small subset (again, disregarding the main philosophies ideal of achievingg equal opportunities for women) shows you really arent

obviusly when feminists point out that the "stereotypically feminine women" arent "real women," they are pointin out, in their view, that these women who folow cultural norms in the modern culture are basicaly moulding themselves into roles prepared for them by patriarchy, and therfore they arent, by that thinking, "real women" becuse they basicaly are becoming the sexualised objects that patriarchy demands of them rather than trully expresing themselves as women. i would agree with that thuogh i wouldnt have put it as such women arent "real women" so much as they are brainless, and brainlesss is a cross-gender phenomenon. given that rationale, criticising disney for its female charactrs over the year i would say is valid criticism - most women in disney films up until more recently are semi-helpless (the classic damsel in distress), air-headed, passive, conforms to typicall patriarchal gender roles, etc., while those women who didnt were often the villian. i can make that sort of observation because im actually familiar with the subject matter; the fact that your mistaking feminism for whats called militant feminists, a very smalll manirity of feminists albeit loud, and saying you "hate" feminism just becuse of small subset (again, disregarding the main philosophies ideal of achievingg equal opportunities for women) shows you really arent

brainless? No. What if these people follow cultural norms because they WANT to? How are cultural norms 'sexualized objects that the patriarchy demands'. Please explain?

brainless? No. What if these people follow cultural norms because they WANT to? How are cultural norms 'sexualized objects that the patriarchy demands'. Please explain?

id call anyone brainlless who follows culturall norms that are destructive to the environment and to the social well-being of future generations, whichh in my opinion, the continued sociall norms in modern western culture assigned to women thruogh patriarchy, along with so many othre social norms of it, fall into that category. Im not going to give you a crash course in what amounts to a ton of literature on the subject of patriarchy, civilisation, etc. in regards to culture but i assure you there is lot there and easily accessible if you feel so inclined to do the research and then you can come back and demand an explanation if for some reason you still didnt get familiar with the subject.

but anyways, if women want to mindlesssly go along with it, as most peoplle do in mindlessly following their own customs and cultural behaviours withuot critically evaluating it, that is of course their right, but cant deny its thoughtless/largely unconscious...ie brainless. least i have nevre met a woman (not ONE woman), who has extensively thought abuot what their culture does and doesnt do to them and others and who decided patriarchal maxims are naturally the best. keyword there is extensive...you of course have the completlly brainwashed women who claim theyve thought much on the issue but they obviusly are mentally-challenged or they realy did not do much critical thinking at all in actuality, to say that they wuold wilfully give uup all their rights so long as can go back to the days when male power was not challenged by women at all. and yes, there is a woman who actually said that - lol, some of you might know who. if you dont think thats brainless, thats your opinion of course and just have to agree to disagree

Most of the feminists I meet ARE like that...even the ones who claim to not be. There's nothing wrong with being thin, wearing makeup, wearing skirts and dresses, liking the color pink, doing stereotypically feminine things, or liking men.

then, you must acknowldge that the feminists in your experience are like that - not making a blanket statement accusing all feminists of doing what you"hate". of course i woulld suggest reevaluating your assertion of nothing wrong with some of what you say, when some of those things are symptoms or part of what help perpetuate feminine self-hatred, insecurity, and eating disorders like anorexia, but as any system of values, things can be wrong in one view and right in another, so if your system of values says there is nothing wrong withh any of that, more power to you. theres nothing wrong with wanting to wear make up or liking pink etc., but i think you miss the point most feminists make in criticising not someones personal preference so much as the lack of thought and often the social pressure that accompanies the development of some of these habits and tastes (such as being taughht or pressured into wearing make-up becuse thats what girls ought to do etc.). my basic point thought is that criticising what amounts to an entire school of thought when you dont even really know what exactlly they are talking about is pretty thoughtles thing to do

id call anyone brainlless who follows culturall norms that are destructive to the environment and to the social well-being of future generations, whichh in my opinion, the continued sociall norms in modern western culture assigned to women thruogh patriarchy, along with so many othre social norms of it, fall into that category. Im not going to give you a crash course in what amounts to a ton of literature on the subject of patriarchy, civilisation, etc. in regards to culture but i assure you there is lot there and easily accessible if you feel so inclined to do the research and then you can come back and demand an explanation if for some reason you still didnt get familiar with the subject.

but anyways, if women want to mindlesssly go along with it, as most peoplle do in mindlessly following their own customs and cultural behaviours withuot critically evaluating it, that is of course their right, but cant deny its thoughtless/largely unconscious...ie brainless. least i have nevre met a woman (not ONE woman), who has extensively thought abuot what their culture does and doesnt do to them and others and who decided patriarchal maxims are naturally the best. keyword there is extensive...you of course have the completlly brainwashed women who claim theyve thought much on the issue but they obviusly are mentally-challenged or they realy did not do much critical thinking at all in actuality, to say that they wuold wilfully give uup all their rights so long as can go back to the days when male power was not challenged by women at all. and yes, there is a woman who actually said that - lol, some of you might know who. if you dont think thats brainless, thats your opinion of course and just have to agree to disagree

Most of the feminists I meet ARE like that...even the ones who claim to not be. There's nothing wrong with being thin, wearing makeup, wearing skirts and dresses, liking the color pink, doing stereotypically feminine things, or liking men.

then, you must acknowldge that the feminists in your experience are like that - not making a blanket statement accusing all feminists of doing what you"hate". of course i woulld suggest reevaluating your assertion of nothing wrong with some of what you say, when some of those things are symptoms or part of what help perpetuate feminine self-hatred, insecurity, and eating disorders like anorexia, but as any system of values, things can be wrong in one view and right in another, so if your system of values says there is nothing wrong withh any of that, more power to you. theres nothing wrong with wanting to wear make up or liking pink etc., but i think you miss the point most feminists make in criticising not someones personal preference so much as the lack of thought and often the social pressure that accompanies the development of some of these habits and tastes (such as being taughht or pressured into wearing make-up becuse thats what girls ought to do etc.). my basic point thought is that criticising what amounts to an entire school of thought when you dont even really know what exactlly they are talking about is pretty thoughtles thing to do

That seems sort of... judgmental. 

i dont make bones about judgingg people - no one els going to make up my mind abuot a person except me

Judging someone as 'air-headed' and 'passive' for being who they want to be seems to tell more about your character than theirs. No offense meant, that's a stupid way to live. 

i dont make bones about judgingg people - no one els going to make up my mind abuot a person except me

Judging someone as 'air-headed' and 'passive' for being who they want to be seems to tell more about your character than theirs. No offense meant, that's a stupid way to live. 

yeah that is very offensive, calling the way i want to view peoplle "stupid." not misguided or you dont like it - just stupid. if we are going to be throwing the word stupid arounnd without impunity, you bringing in the words "air-headed" and "passive" and accusing me that i am judging people that way when i quite explicitly used those words to describbe how a feminist (which i am not) wouldd view the stereotypicall disney heroine and when i very clearly said i only am judging patriarchally-brainwashed women as brainless for, as i said, unconsciouslly (rather than by real choice) going along with cultural norms - that accusation was stupid of you to make. you are the same person who said earlier you cant read what i say - why dont you just stick to that and dont try to communicate with me so that you dont make yourself look foolish. look in the mirror and evaluate your own judgemental disposition and how much that (and completely misrepresenting what someone else said) says about yourself before you go and criticise me for "judging" people. least im not hypocrite about what i do

I dunno who you're meeting, but that doesn't sound like any feminist I've ever met. The point of feminism is that you should be able to walk down the street without being catcalled or oggled, that you shouldn't need to treat every man like a predator because you're afraid of being raped, that you should make as much money as a man in the same job, that you should have all the same opportunities as a man and not be held back because you happen to have different genitals, etc.

Feminism is not "you can't be girly" or "you should be fat" or "you shouldn't like the colour pink". If that last one were true then feminism would be forced to condemn the entire breast cancer awareness campaigns across the globe by default since the colour for that is pink. If the people you are meeting believe that or anything else you mentioned then they are not feminists.

I make judgements all of the time. :)

You may mistake people "being who they want to be" just because they feel pressured to conform to cultural norms.

IMO it's best to take people's words for their own motivations. They may be right or wrong but it's their call and their own discovery if it's wrong.

All I can judge is observed behavior. I can't judge anyone else's motivation with any great accuracy. Certainly not enough accuracy to contradict their own assertions.

I dunno who you're meeting, but that doesn't sound like any feminist I've ever met. The point of feminism is that you should be able to walk down the street without being catcalled or oggled, that you shouldn't need to treat every man like a predator because you're afraid of being raped, that you should make as much money as a man in the same job, that you should have all the same opportunities as a man and not be held back because you happen to have different genitals, etc.

Feminism is not "you can't be girly" or "you should be fat" or "you shouldn't like the colour pink". If that last one were true then feminism would be forced to condemn the entire breast cancer awareness campaigns across the globe by default since the colour for that is pink. If the people you are meeting believe that or anything else you mentioned then they are not feminists.

Most feminists I know act like that. I have a friend who's kind of like that except not as extreme. (She doesn't hate men, thankfully)

If feminism was like what you said, I'd be a feminist. And if it was like that, half of feminists would probably be men since most men aren't sexist anymore.

Feminists seem to want to stop sexism towards their gender by being sexist towards men...

Most feminists I know act like that. I have a friend who's kind of like that except not as extreme. (She doesn't hate men, thankfully)

If feminism was like what you said, I'd be a feminist. And if it was like that, half of feminists would probably be men since most men aren't sexist anymore.

Feminists seem to want to stop sexism towards their gender by being sexist towards men...

you ought to take my advice and the advice evryone is giving you to actualy go read about the subject of feminism and meet real feminists (BTW a numbre of women in this thread claimed that they are feminists, you would know that if you had read any of it and you dont see them going aruond the boards hating on men and pink), and, above all else, go see the rest of the worlld. there is plenty of sexist men at all levels of society, and most of the ones who arent sexist are comfortable perpetuating patriarchy. i know what feminism is, which is exactly like barm says - the only reason i dont call myself a feminist is because my criticism of them is they are just fighting for "rights" within the old system of patriarchy which i think is inevitably going faill even if meet short term success, so i aim for something larger than what feminism is about. not because i think they are men haters and pink haters...

If feminism was like what you said, I'd be a feminist. And if it was like that, half of feminists would probably be men since most men aren't sexist anymore. Feminists seem to want to stop sexism towards their gender by being sexist towards men...

"A generalization is taking one or a few facts and making a broader, more universal statement. If all the girls you know play with dolls, you might make the generalization that all girls play with dolls. Scientists try to make generalizations based on research — the more data they have, the more accurate the generalization. Generalizations can be similar to stereotypes in that they are sometimes wrong and harmful. Usually, it's best to stick with specifics and avoid generalizations."

Generalizations should most often be avoided because they are inaccurate.

"Most men aren't sexist anymore?" Have you taken a moment to concern yourself with women who are not in your direct vicinity?

Over 22 million women in the United States have been raped in their lifetime. (National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey 2010)

"Worldwide Trends in Honor Killings: The worldwide average age of victims for the entire population is twenty-three. Worldwide, more than half the victims were tortured; i.e., they did not die instantly but in agony. In North America, over one-third of the victims were tortured; in Europe, two-thirds were tortured; in the Muslim world, half were tortured. Torturous deaths include: being raped or gang-raped before being killed; being strangled or bludgeoned to death; being stabbed many times (10 to 40 times); being stoned or burned to death; being beheaded, or having one's throat slashed."

"Finally, worldwide, 58 percent of the victims were murdered for being "too Western" and/or for resisting or disobeying cultural and religious expectations. The accusation of being "too Western" was the exact language used by the perpetrator or perpetrators. Being "too Western" meant being seen as too independent, not subservient enough, refusing to wear varieties of Islamic clothing (including forms of the veil), wanting an advanced education and a career, having non-Muslim (or non-Sikh or non-Hindu) friends or boyfriends, refusing to marry one's first cousin, wanting to choose one's own husband, choosing a socially "inferior" or non-Muslim (or non-Sikh or non-Hindu) husband; or leaving an abusive relationship."

by Phyllis Chesler

Middle East Quarterly

Spring 2010, pp. 3-11

"Corrective Rape: Corrective rape is a hate crime wielded to convert lesbians to heterosexuality – an attempt to 'cure' them of being gay. The term was coined in South Africa in the early 2000s when charity workers first noticed an influx of such attacks. But despite recognition and international coverage, corrective rape in the region is escalating in severity,

Ever since a 1998-2000 report by the United Nations Office on Crime and Drugs ranked South Africa as highest for rapes per capita, it has repeatedly been described as the rape capital of the world: 500,000 rapes a year; one every 17 seconds; one in every two women will be raped in her lifetime. Twenty per cent of men say the victim "asked for it", according to a survey by the anti-violence NGO, CIET. A quarter of men in the Eastern Cape Provinces, when asked anonymously by the Medical Research Council, admitted to raping at least once – three quarters of whom said their victim was under 20, a tenth said under 10. A quarter of schoolboys in Soweto described "jackrolling" – the local term for gang rape – as "fun".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/crisis-in-south-africa-the-shocking-practice-of-corrective-rape--aimed-at-curing-lesbians-9033224.html

The stoning of women: "It is one of the most brutal forms of violence perpetrated against women in order to control and punish their sexuality and basic freedoms."

"In one case cited by Shameem, a 13-year-old Somali girl, Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow, was buried up to her neck and stoned by 50 men in front of 1,000 people at a stadium in Kismayu in 2008. Her father told Amnesty International she had been raped by three men but was accused of adultery when she tried to report the rape to the al-Shabaab militia in control of the city."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/special-report-the-punishment-was-death-by-stoning-the-crime-having-a-mobile-phone-8846585.html

"Afghanistan is one of the most challenging places in the world to be a woman:

Many women die in pregnancy and childbirth: 460 deaths/100,000 live births (2010)

85% of women have no formal education and are illiterate.

Female 3rd level students as a % of Total: 18.0%

Total live births per woman - average of 6

1 out 10 children die before their fifth birthday.

Life expectancy for women is 51."

So, it would be beneficial to poke our noses outside of our own doors to become aware of the suffering of our sisters all over the world. You see, Dawn, feminism is not about "wearing dresses, liking the color pink, or wearing make up."

Like I said, not feminists.

If feminism was like what you said, I'd be a feminist.

It is like I said. Your problem is is that you are equating the extremists to the entire movement, when the extremists are actually in the minority. Every movement has extremists, that isn't unique to feminism in any way.

And if it was like that, half of feminists would probably be men since most men aren't sexist anymore.

Oh how I wish this were true. It is probably the most willfully blind statement I've seen in this entire thread. If men weren't sexist then Jennifer Lawrence wouldn't have to worry about men stealing her private photos and sharing them with the world to see. If men weren't sexist then rape would be largely a non-issue since almost nobody would do it. I could go on for hours about how men are sexist. A great many issues plaguing women could actually be resolved by properly teaching men not to be sexist and not to treat women like sex objects, and so on.

No. Again, you are equating the extremist minority to the entire movement. This is a sadly common problem amongst those who dislike feminism. The extremist minority are not feminists, they are extremists who call themselves feminists and cast a cloud over the majority who are actually fighting for equality.

• 2 weeks later...

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5799296

"When she moved to Brooklyn in 2011, Caroline Tompkins quickly got tired of being catcalled. It felt as though whenever she left her apartment, she would be harassed by men on the street. "I eventually realized that simple tasks like going to work or school or just taking the train somewhere became sullied by relentless comments and demands from men on the street," the 22-year-old photographer told The Huffington Post in an email.

So, she started turning her camera onto her street harassers."

You may mistake people "being who they want to be" just because they feel pressured to conform to cultural norms.

But you could also mistake people being who they want to be for being that way 'just because they feel pressured to conform to cultural norms.'    :tongue:    

It goes both ways.

But you could also mistake people being who they want to be for being that way 'just because they feel pressured to conform to cultural norms.'    :tongue:    

It goes both ways.

Of course it does.

Archived