DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

real opinions on Rand Al'Thor?

rob al'thor

Well to be honest, the first time I read the series I didn't find Rand very interesting.  I didn't dislike him, but his chapters didn't do a great deal for me.  I was much more interesting in seeing what was happening with Mat, Nynaeve, Elayne, Perrin, etc.  I think I read the first book, saw him as a stereotypical hero character and wasn't that interesting (I tend to prefer the side-characters in most novels as they seem to be more diverse).  On re-reads I have increasingly enjoyed him as a character, and have felt a great deal of compassion/pity for him as he tries to come to terms with his own death, and find the best way to deal with it.  Now he is genuinely one of my favourite characters, but not because of his plot points - instead because of his internal struggles. 

It hard to like or hate Rand simply because so much of what happened to him happened "off screen" as they say.  To me he seemed to jump from happy Rand to angry dark Rand pretty fast.  He talks about doing so much stuff that was bad but you read about very little of those bad deeds in book.  Not to mention in some books Rand hardly even appeared.

• 1 month later...

Archived