DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Ajah Warders

KainHighwind

I always thought that since the White Ajah was focused on logic, they would come to the conclusion that more Warders meant better protection and sometimes, more outright power.  Because of this, I was always looking for someone in the White to bond more than one, or for the White Ajah to allow its members to bond multiple Warders.  Does anyone else agree?  Any thoughts?

You could also say that because of logic they don't want any warders. If your warder dies, you are incapable for months, maybe longer, and what does a warder have to offer them? White Ajah dedicate their lives to logic and not, for example, to protect the Borderlands. And maybe I'm wrong but I don't think many White Ajah would leave the White Tower so they don't have to fight off any Whitcloaks. And what has a warder to offer to an Aes Sedai that doesn't fight? The Aes Sedai could take a warder to discuss with him, or let him write down their theories or something like that, but other than that, I don't see why a White Ajah would take a warder (from the viewpoint of logic, ofcourse). 

But I like your theory also! It depends on the logic of the Aes Sedai if they want any (or multiple) warders, I think. And to answer your question: I don't recall seeing any White Aes Sedai with multiple warders.

• 4 weeks later...

A warder to the white Ajah would probably be the most bored warder ever.  I think Moraine even threatened Lan once that she could make him a warder to a white.  I see their warders and being pudgy out if shape sorts who never get to practice the sword and sit around the tower all day as their Aes Sedai engages in discussions of logic.  It would be like being married to a Vulcan.

In what way, exactly, would it make any sense at all to not let a Warder practice the sword and keep in shape? That would be idiotic, not logical.

I think it's said that few White Ajah Aes Sedai bond Warders - probably exactly because they don't expect to need one, because they rarely leave the Tower. But I could also see more of them deciding to find a Warder as the Last Battle approaches, because they know everyone is going to have to fight and the bond offers mutual benefits.

As for the OP's question of bonding multiple Warders, that has been a strictly Green-only thing for probably as long as the Ajahs have existed in their current form, and sometimes customs are more difficult to change than law.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that since the White Ajah was focused on logic, they would come to the conclusion that more Warders meant better protection and sometimes, more outright power.  Because of this, I was always looking for someone in the White to bond more than one, or for the White Ajah to allow its members to bond multiple Warders.  Does anyone else agree?  Any thoughts?

Logically,wanting more power would require a reason to have more power. People who want power for the sake of power are not acting logically. Of course, there are times more power is logical... The Greens were specifically mentioned as the only multiple-Warder Ajah until the Reds decided to try and bond Asha'man.

To be honest, as a PhD student in philosophy, the characterization of the White Ajah makes me cringe a little sometimes. It's the same widespread everyday notion of "logic" that's showcased in Star Trek, and is only connected to reality by the thinnest of threads. Logic is the formal (as in: math-formal) study of argumentation. It's not synonymous with "reason" or "reasonable" or "emotionless".

As far as Warders are concerned... valid arguments could be constructed either way. Logic isn't going to give you one right answer. It's not concerned with right or wrong, only valid and invalid arguments (and sometimes also soundness).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived