DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

November Roll Call

Niniel

The asha´mans in WoT can control the elements, or at least use them for their own purpose. The weather is really tough to manipulate though. Yet, I think that is something that most people would like to be able to control. During my time here at DM I have read a lot of reports about storms, tornados, forest fires, flooding and snowstorms. Depending on where you live you can experience a lot of bad weather. 

This month you get 5 points for signing in and 5 additional points if you tell us about what experiences you have when it comes to extreme weather.

I´m lucky to live in a place where we rarely have any natural disasters. I think that the snow is what gets most people upset. I love snow though, and I don´t drive so it doesn´t bother me much. 

*waves* Am here.

I've had a few interesting experiences with snow and driving. One was a few years ago, it was spring already and nobody was expecting such a snowstorm anymore, thankfully I still had winter tires though. I was returning from a concert in another city with my friend and his bandmates, it was in the middle of the night. And all of a sudden, the very air outside the car transformed into a flurry of huge snowflakes. There I was, on a 80 km/h road driving at ~40 km/h because I simply couldn't see a flaming thing, like, at times I just had to trust that the road was straight ahead because I literally couldn't see it.

Finnish winter. <3

Hi, I am here!

In my home country Bulgaria we have 4 seasons but I don't like the climate: during the winter it falls up to -20 C (-4 F), deep snow, wind and during July - it's up to +40 C (104 F) scorching, dry heath.

Nevertheless, the worse experience was in NeverTame's home country Finland. I was going out of the club where I celebrated a birthday (7th Feb) and outside I could not breathe as the moist in my nostrils froze, tears started falling on my scarf and froze immediately and I felt inmense pain on the cheeks (that were above the scarf). I don't know how I managed to go home that night. It was around 4 am and already 28 C below zero (-18.4 F). Even my camera stopped working.

Here.

I live in the Netherlands, so never really crazy weather here. Just a lot of rain. We had a nice storm last Monday though. No trains in the north of the country and around Amsterdam, and lots and lots of trees that fell down. And a tree right next to our house was cut down because we were afraid it'd fall down on the road later that day otherwise.

@Cindy below: Wow. That's a lot.

I have too much weather to sum up. we get everything. a lot of snow and ice, a lot of bad flooding in the past few years. a fairly recent earthquake which I'd just as soon not have again and I only call that weather because it made the effects of a hurricane the same week much worse.

I get a lot of bad snowstorms, and a few bad ice storms. I had to watch Super Bowl XXXVI in a motel room in '02 due to an ice storm knocking out power at my house all weekend. I've also been at the edge of a hurricane while on vacation once.

• Community Administrator
I´m lucky to live in a place where we rarely have any natural disasters. I think that the snow is what gets most people upset. I love snow though, and I don´t drive so it doesn´t bother me much. 

Same here, Tina (except the part about the snow).  In Phoenix, Arizona, we have 360 days of sunshine, and 5 days of cloudy weather.  :P

Here... I think.

*feels self*

Yeah, I'm here.

As a citizen on the coast of northern California, I am waiting for the earthquake to drop me into the ocean, or the tsunami to come say hello. Not really weather, but we don't get any snow storms or the bowl of winds  tornadoes or hurricanes. When I lived in Arizona, flash floods sometimes occurred. Oh and there are always fires in California, one time we had school shut down for a week because the ash was so prevalent in the air. We don't get snow days, but we got ash days!

Here

The only weather that extreme I've experienced was a downburst - a tornado that develops overhead but never actually touches the ground.  Ripped branches off of half the trees in my neighborhood and downed a couple phone lines, but that's all it did.

Outside of that we have unpredictable bursts of rain or storm and the occasional freezing rain in wintertime.  Not dull, but not interesting either.

Here.

I live(d) in Canada. Extreme winter. Ice Storm of 1998 comes to mind. Freezing rain is really annoying. -30 degree Celsius weather happens at least a couple of of times every Winter.

Really funny to be in the UK and see their reaction to what they call winter.

Here!

My extreme weather experience was visiting Ukraine and being in one of those big open tents. Monsoon hit and the poles were flying out, the small river nearby was soaking us worse than the rain and it was hard to see. We made it safe and it's an experience I'll never forget!

Where I live, we rarely have any extreme weather, unless you count it being unbearably hot 8 months out of the year.

Yeah pretty much.

With the occasional thunderstorm, which can be violent once in a while.

Not really extreme weather, but we have had some really bad storms that have caused really bad flooding, and the one on Monday (same as Ley) did cause a few deaths, I managed to sleep through it, and when I went out there were trees down which luckily missed houses and cars, but some were not so lucky. I live on a hill and have avoided any floods we have had. Also was on holiday in corfu when he had an earth tremor, I slept through that as well, lol

Archived