DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RJ's Death

Randslosthand

Good Evening, 

I'm a long time lurker and have re-read the series twice since my beginning as a WoT reader. Although I only began to read whilst Brandon Sanderson was finishing up with ToM. I have read so much of the manner in which RJ left his notes and concepts for Brandon Sanderson but have heard so little about the actual reaction of his death. If you were a reader then, what was the response like? Was it known that RJ was in his last day's? I'm sorry but I have seen no R.I.P or anything anywhere and I am just intrigued into the nature of the stakeholder's of WoT response to this mans untimely death. 

Thank you in Advance.

• Community Administrator

If you were a reader then, what was the response like? Was it known that RJ was in his last day's? I'm sorry but I have seen no R.I.P or anything anywhere and I am just intrigued into the nature of the stakeholder's of WoT response to this mans untimely death.

I was a reader then, and I was devastated.  It was very hard to learn he was sick in the first place.  Then to hear head had passed--when all his communication with the fans was super positive.  They have an interview posted a few days before he died, and he was so convinced he would beat it.  But, the Pattern had other plans for him, it seems.

The day it happened, Dragonmount couldn't keep up with the bandwidth load.  I'm pretty sure the site broke down and Jason had to put up a simple replacement just to give people information.

A few days afterwards, Jason posted a beautiful write-up of his "Journey to Robert Jordan's Funeral."  For me, this personal account really made it hit home.  A lot of people at the time were concern that the series would never be finished.  I never thought that for a moment.  Robert Jordan loved his fans--he would never have left us without the end to Rand's journey.  So, I sat patiently and waited until Brandon Sanderson was chosen.

It's also strange to think that Brandon never met Jordan.  He listed Jordan as the dead author he'd want to sit and talk with.  He recently released a short video explaining his feelings on the subject.

Hope that helps!

Archived