DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hello all!

kapusta17

Hi. It feels a bit presumptious to start a thread wholly about myself but... er, here goes!

I am quite new to Dragonmount and organized WoT fandom in general, although I did read wotmania a couple years back. I really miss the humor section. I printed out those Rejected Sword Forms and taped them inside my high school locker to crack myself up between classes.

I first heard of WoT through my best friend in the 5th grade, who was a way more mature reader than I was. At lunch she would read me passages of LotR that she found hilarious (mostly about Aragorn yelling and waving his sword about at opportune moments). I remember she mentioned reading a book where the main character was going insane and had three wives, and there was a warrior character named Aviendha who she really liked. I still pronounce it "Aviend-ha" like she did, because it's a fond memory.

It wasn't until high school that I actually started reading the Wheel of Time, and I loved it terribly. I would writhe around in my seat at the dinner table until my mom said I could be excused and then I would race up to my room and spend the rest of the night glued to the book. It was like opening a portal to a different world on my lap and watching reality unfold before me. CoT and then later KoD where the two latest books that I read. After RJ passed away, I assumed it would be left at that, and I moved on.

Not until this summer did I start reading again, on a camping trip, and it hit me like a gong over the head -- what was I thinking abandoning this series? It's ridiculously amazing! I spend the last week of summer break plowing through the series, reading roughly 1000 pgs until 4am every day. I had to slow down my psychosis when I got back to university, and I finished AMoL exactly a week ago.

I loved re-reading WoT partly because it was one of the very few indicators that I may have gotten marginally smarter, rather than immensely stupider, since high school. The more I learn in college the more of an idiot I feel, so it was nice to be able to actually read something and understand and see more between the lines than before. I wish I could re-read the series blind, just to see if I would notice things. For some reason, I used to accept everything exactly at face value. Ex. when lightning mysteriously explodes the inn in EotW, I didn't even question it. A storm is a storm.

So for that reason I also feel like I have grown up with WoT. Not my whole life obviously, just that it has accompanied me as I grew (grow?) from a child to an adult. It feels like a familiar friend that I can revisit as I look back and look forward.

tl;dr

It's nice to meet you, I would be honored to join your community : )

I'm trying to teach myself to draw fanart, and I love to memorize and recite prophesies. My roommates hear me mumbling dark words at night... haha.

Love your introduction! Welcome to DM and we will be honored to have you.

I recommend that you do some exploring around here. I know it's a large site so ask any questions you may have. Basically there are discussion forums, a role playing forum and multiple social groups. The groups are a good way to meet people. If you would like to become an Aes Sedai or Warder, you would go to the White Tower and Warders. There are other groups too. You can join as many as you like.

I am a late comer to the series, about 3 years ago. When you said the books were like "opening a portal to another world," it brought back memories when I was reading EoTW. I had never been a fantasy reader but this was the same reaction I had. My problem was that I wanted to live in this world and DM was the next best thing!

So make yourself at home. :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed your intro, Kapusta! Hopefully we'll see more of you around, especially at the Social Groups ... coughWhiteTower&Warderscough ...

Also ... rejected sword forms? You have to post that!

Welcome to Dm! I would love to see you over in the Rp side of things, if you have a mind for that. :) We are always looking forward to new players. The Band of the Red hand is fun to play in as well social group wise. *ggls* No matter what you do have a great time getting to know people. :) 

Welcome to DM!

Our Social Groups can be a great way to get to know some of the other members, have fun and discuss common interests. I can personally comment on two of the social groups I'm a member of; First is group is the Black Tower which is an overall fun place to go for fun, games and just plain oddities (We're tainted there so there's a lot of silliness). The Second the Band of the Red Hand, of which I am LG of the Archers Division where we enjoy discussing music, travel and food. There are a number of other Social Groups you can check out so please do so and join the one(s) that appeal to you.  You may join as many groups as you like so check them all out when you have the time and have fun!

If you come up with any questions for us please feel free to post them here.

Thank you all very much!

I will look around to see what is what.

Actually, I do have a question!

Elgee mentioned I could post some old wotmania humor. I actually just found an archive of the Rejected Sword Forms. (BLESSED LIGHT!! I though they were lost) There's not that many... but still funny. Where should I post that? General Discussion? Should I look for a humor thread?

Archived