DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Robert Jordan Reveals Asmodean's killer? Maybe.

Leopoled Boothe

I am sorry if this has appeared on Drangomount before and I am just rehashing old news (sorry but I'm not going through all 112 pages of the Asmodean post to try and find it). However, if it hasn't then it is definitly worthy of discussion. Anyway the following is a excerpt from a chartroom discussion with Robert Jordan conducted in December of 2000 which is posted at CNN.com

Question from Vercingetorix: Why do you think everyone has a hard time figuring out who killed Asmodean? Graendal killed him.

Robert Jordan: I don't know why people have a hard time figuring that out. To me it seems intuitively obvious even to the most casual observer. The reason I won't tell people though is that I am enjoying watching them squirm entirely too much. It's probably bad for me.

So what do you guys think? Did RJ inadvertantly reaveal that Graendal is Asmo's killer?

Old news ... and while Graendal did indeed do it, using this quote as confirmation is taking what he said out of context. He is referring to the question in general, not Graendal specifically, as evidenced by another sentence in the same quote:

The reason I won't tell people though is that I am enjoying watching them squirm entirely too much.

Jordan is not so loopy that he would give it away, and then 2 seconds later say he's not telling.

I think what this quote does is cut the feet out from under all the convoluted theories (-cough- Moiraine and Lanfear -cough-). The problem is, people never think of their own theories as convoluted. Hopefully, Jordan will make it indisputably clear in AMoL, which will mean that approximately 75% of the theorists will believe his solution. The rest will be sure that somehow, Jordan is wrong. Or that he's only saying "Graendal did it" to trick us.

Because heaven knows, if its so clear, that can't be the way it really is. :roll:

Guest Wynne Jessal
I think what this quote does is cut the feet out from under all the convoluted theories (-cough- Moiraine and Lanfear -cough-).

Obviously not' date=' since they're still running wild out there. :wink: I agree that it was Graendal, and I fervently hope that it is made abundantly clear in AMoL.[/color']

Most importantly Asmo was a whiney, spineless, two faced buffoon who should never have made it into the Chosen, "oooh look it me I play the harp, oh no! I'm not the best any more, woe is me! I want to be evil now" come on there are much better bad guys in the rest of the series.

Most importantly Asmo was a whiney' date=' spineless, two faced buffoon who should never have made it into the Chosen, "oooh look it me I play the harp, oh no! I'm not the best any more, woe is me! I want to be evil now" come on there are much better bad guys in the rest of the series.[/quote']

It's good that the Forsaken vary in their abilities and outlooks. 13 Belals would be pretty boring ;)

Guest Wynne Jessal

Asmodean may have been a slightly more useless Forsaken than Balthamel. Balthamel has/had a nasty little temper which could surely have worked in the DO's favor. "You SUCK! You DIE NOW! kthxdie"

But otherwise. He doesn't seem to have have been a cornerstone of the movement. His mediocre skills as a historian/anthropologist could not have benefited him or the DO that greatly.

Balthamel - had intelligence network (um, who doesn't?), and bred humans for Trolloc food (yeah, I'll bet he bred 'em *wink wink*)

Asmo - was a governor/administrator... hmm..

At least Asmodean could keep the party rocking with his mad harp skillz.

Just because something is silly' date=' and doesn't make sense, doesn't mean people won't continue to believe it.[/quote']

look at religion for crying out loud!

i have a funny feeling that asmodeans assailant wont come out and say "Ah haha! I killed asmodean for this reason!" in AMoL. we're probably gonna be squriming for the rest of our lives...and then some.

nah he said he was either gonna reveal it in the book and if he didnt he would fess up. and i can believe you beat me to saying the religion thang. a bunch of contradicting and pointless principles which make all good acts meaningless.

hehe Thor that like makes you my nephew, if i remember my mythology rightly

Old news ... and while Graendal did indeed do it' date='[/quote']

I know RJ has indicated that someone figured it out (but I don't know that RJ ever told the person "yeah, that's it") but what hard evidence is there that Graendal did it or rather what is being used to support the claim other than "she had means and motive"?

Guest Wynne Jessal
I know RJ has indicated that someone figured it out (but I don't know that RJ ever told the person "yeah' date=' that's it") but what hard evidence is there that Graendal did it or rather what is being used to support the claim other than "she had means and motive"?[/quote']

It's been discussed down to the most minute details at all the popular fan sites. Rather than re-type it out, I'll provide you some links.

Of course, if someone else feels like typing it all out, go to town.

http://linuxmafia.com/jordan/1_dark/1.1_forsaken1/1.1.6_asmo.html

http://www.wotmania.com/faqtopic.asp?ID=101

so you think it was slayer. That link always contradicted itself and still left holes wide open. i dont think greandal did it cuz thats boring. I like slayer bieng the killer cuz he just suddenly dissapeared as "Luc" after perrin shot him

Guest Wynne Jessal
so you think it was slayer. That link always contradicted itself and still left holes wide open. i dont think greandal did it cuz thats boring. I like slayer bieng the killer cuz he just suddenly dissapeared as "Luc" after perrin shot him

Me? No' date=' I don't think it was Slayer. RJ said we had all the clues by TFoH, and Slayer was not known at that time.

I think it was Graendal.

I agree it's not that exciting, but I don't think we can ignore the obvious just because it's boring. :wink: [/color']

Archived