DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reboot?

mlva103

I am not a huge fantasy fan but got addicted to WOT.  

My question is why is it so exploitative and sacrilegious to have book written by other authors.  Comic books and movies have reboots, alternate time lines and things like that.  

Why couldn't Wheel of time come back in 5 10 years with a reboot. With the mirror realms of the portal stones it seems like a perfect series for that kind of thing. 

Also in a reboot what would you leave out and in?  

WoT was the brainchild of one man, who was resistant to the idea of other people telling stories in his setting. While he was alive, keeping other people out was his right. Now he's dead, his wife has the right and will keep other people out out of respect for her husband's wishes. Also, let's face it, comics and movies with frequent reboots, alternative timelines and such are frequently done badly, and the decision to redo something that has already been done rather than create something new generally speaks to a lack of creativity. Given the number of fantasy series on the market, I see no reason to go back and read a slightly tweaked version of the one I've already read - there are plenty of good authors around, and I'd rather be reading the good, new books they produce than encouraging lazy rehashes.

because the WoT is not a comic book, its a epic saga.

this would be like saying, LotR's should get a reboot  *smh*

the closet thing would be similar to what happened to Star Wars, with outringer novels, but those are  technically fan fiction and RJ was highly against fan fiction; so again that would be a no.

because the WoT is not a comic book, its a epic saga.

this would be like saying, LotR's should get a reboot  *smh*

the closet thing would be similar to what happened to Star Wars, with outringer novels, but those are  technically fan fiction and RJ was highly against fan fiction; so again that would be a no.

Still.... it would be nice to read a LotR story that wasn't basically: nobody dies, main character wakes up in soft bed again and again, and deus-ex-machina saves the day, here's 50 endings.

it would be nice to read a Christmas carol where Scrooge wakes up Christmas morning, decides that what the "spirits" told him will result in the commercialization of what was essentially a small religious observance and the ruination of personal economies for generations to come, and that they most likely were the results of a bit of bad beef, and goes on with his career and his life without sliding into the fixed delusion dictated by a weird dream.

but it's not gonna happen.

the book's written.

plenty of other books you'll enjoy with all kinds of deadings.

plenty of new things under the sun. or at least better disguised rehashings of old things.

Still.... it would be nice to read a LotR story that wasn't basically: nobody dies, main character wakes up in soft bed again and again, and deus-ex-machina saves the day, here's 50 endings.

In LotR tons of people die: Boromir, Theoden, Gollum, Saruman, Wormtongue and Denethor come to mind immediately. Also, it isn't a deus-ex machina ending. We're told almost on Page 1 that the Ring needs to be destroy to save Middle-earth and when they destroy the Ring, Middle-earth is saved.

If you go back to The Silmarillion there's nothing remotely happy about that at all. Everyone dies (in the most famous case, after committing unknown incest) and the world is saved only by blowing up an entire subcontinent, leaving only a few traumatised and battered survivors like Elrond and Galadriel.

• 2 weeks later...

A large part of the appeal of WoT is Robert Jordan himself. His prose and style are very distinctive. It's why I can pick up one of the slower novels, like CoT, open it in the middle and instantly be captivated. I think it's one of the reasons fan fic in the WoT universe has never taken off like it has in other randoms. It's not just the characters and world, it's also Jordan's unique voice that appeals. So I don't think anyone would be interested in seeing a reboot of the series. 

Archived