DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Aiel Heart

The Red Field Trip

Nope can't find it. I'm sure it was for one of Myst's Dungeon events.

My Dungeon is not supposed to be fun!!

*Grabs the Taren and snugglebites the bajeezers outta' the wee one*

Needed that. Hi there! Myst, Highest, First Nutt, Dungeon Mistress, Brat Manager *points pointedly to Mumsy and MoNsy* Welcome!

And my my...... lookylooklooksy! It's an old-new-old-OLD one..... *eyes the Arie* ..... -whistles innocently while reaching for her cattleprod- I'm sure you'll be staying out of trouble, right? Right? Of course you will! ;)

What brought you back to these parts? Last I saw you were very busy at tvnet with all sorts of marketing type thingies.

Which reminds me, I have to get over there before they decide I'm dead..... <_<

I realized I hadn't answered the question about whether I had been tempted to (what? Fight?) by a ring or shawl. I didn't really understand the question xD

oh my! what a typo lol

It was tempted to buy and not to by

*shame* :tongue:

Still I'm totally blaming the auto correct

Hello there, my name's Dan and I'm exploring the Ajahs.  I'm living in Edinburgh right now studying for a PhD (Vikings took advantage of the devastation from natural disasters to raid regions), but I'm originally from New Orleans, LA.  

People have always said that I've been an extremely determined man.  I was honed that way--at age 3 I had a brain injury that took away the use of my right arm and gave me a limp.  I completely adapted as a little kid and have done my good share of things--I'm into golf now, but I know my way around a frisbee and more. 

Katrina nearly took New Orleans away when I was 18 and a senior in high school.  I wasn't a good student in the immediate years afterwards--I was, lost might be the right word?--but I came back.  I began excelling in night classes and climbed my way into this PhD. And so now I'm continuing in order to finish this.  Yup.

Hi Dan, welcome to the Reds. :laugh: I'm living just outside Edinburgh right now :cool: (Livingston, although I hail from the other side of the Forth originally), but studying for nothing because I did all my degree and postgrad nonsense many, many, many moons ago. I'm afraid adulting has exhausted me too much for studying these days. Our Highest, Mystica, is a mature student though. She's doing some typically complicated subject that I have no clue about. 

How are you enjoying living in the capital? Congratulations on fighting your way back to your current point. A PhD is impressive. That had to be hard work, especially after the experience of Katrina. I really can't begin to imagine it. We simply don't have those extremes of weather here as you no doubt realise.  I wouldn't mind turning off this hoolie that's blowing just now, mind you, it's a bit wild and woolly out there tonight.

Anyway, if you have any questions about the Reds, just ask away. How did you get into WoT?

I am very curious about New Orleans, in the movies and tv series it still looks like the place of my dreams but maybe it's very far from reality ?

Livingston?  That's not far at all from Edinburgh.  The weather hasn't been too nice the past two todays, but it wasn't Ali like a few weeks ago.  And I like Edinburgh.  I've been studying here for five years, now. 

Now, why did I get into the WoT?  I'm not sure exactly why I started.  I dived into fantasy and I found the WoT when I was 13.  Just about every nerd I knew was reading it as well then, but I was the one who became an addict.  I never met RJ, but us nerds knew people who knew RJ well when I started.  

New Orleans is awesome.  It's been thriving for a long time, now, even with what happened in 2005.  

No, not far. Takes us about 10-15 minutes in the car to get into the town. Not something we do often as my anxiety doesn't like noisy/ busy/ crowded places. I make an exception in March for the Edinburgh Yarn Festival at the Corn Exchange and that's about it. Although we did drag Mystica to the Castle when she was over visiting from Belgium a few years back.

Have you managed to see much of the rest of Scotland during your 5 years? :smile:

I don't know a huge amount about New Orleans other than the obviously legendary music heritage. But I did hear that it's having its tricentennial this year. It's always struck me as a place that's very full of old world charm, which is kind of strange given it's so young (relatively speaking).

I haven't seen much of the rest of Scotland during my time here, but I have seen the rest of Scotland because I visited Scotland during a few holidays before I actually came to live here.  In my first two years here, I lived over in Pollock Halls--right under Arthur's Seat--as well, and that's almost a park. 

@Hrafnhildr--New Orleans isn't a dream, but it's a good bargain :wink:.  Living within a city that's literally built on a swamp--as in, if you dig just a couple of meters you find water--does have its disadvantages.  It's in constant repair for issues like the roads break apart when part of a road begins to sink.  We're not the most civil city out there.  We're very poorly managed too.  MANY people think that Katrina could have been avoided altogether if the city had carefully managed the levees it built for our usually calm and peaceful lake like it does the levees protecting us from the torrential Mississippi river.  We learned our lesson on that, I suppose.

Nevertheless, it is a bargain.  New York is always advertised as being filled with all those immigrants that came during the nineteenth century fleeing, say, Ireland, during its famine--we're the only port for the Mississippi river, the river that runs through the middle of the country and is America's longest river, and so we got those immigrants too, as well as those who fled Quebec when the Brits fully took over Canada, those who fled Haiti after their revolt, and the African Americans once they were finally freed.  We were also MUCH more friendly with the Native Americans than the New Englanders were once we became a city, and that stuck around as well.  The Southern aristocrats along with everyone else--since we're shoved up against the Mississippi and until recently New Orleans was only about the river (we might still be, really), we were forced to work together.  It's not particularly surprising to me that the cultural mix made us invent jazz, blues, and rock and roll.  Nature is everywhere too--from the oaks that line the streets to the bayous on its edges.   

So, if you're willing to put up with a very poorly-managed city whose residents treat a street sinking as an inconvenient everyday matter, you'll be able to find a very rich culture.