DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Red Field Trip

ugh see, I knew there was something...... There's 2 Jamesesses!

So I'm not having a déjà vu!

You are a crap rower, Sis and you know it.

Still lots of books I need to read, I can't keep up with all of them. Will put that one on my list.

And nope, drama is a big no..... passion, yes. Opinions, sure. Disagreements, of course! Drama....... nope!

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I don't mind being called JamesBrown, JamesB, JB, or James the Lesser.

Yes, I've finished all the books, and am re-reading them for the second time now (currently almost done with The Great Hunt). Like most people, I was getting frustrated with RJ's stretching out the series. I sorta skimmed Books 9 and 10. Then I gave Sanderson's first novel a try and really enjoyed how he picked up the pace. Overall I was satisfied with the ending, although I acknowledge that puts me in the minority.

JB it is. *grin* I just can't quite bring myself to read that last one. After 20 years of reading and being desperate to hear the ending, I suddenly found I didn't actually want it to be over. Now it's been so long that I'll have to do a complete re-read before finishing that final book. I thought Sanderson did a good job overall. Taking on someone else's work, no matter how much was already written or how many notes there were, is a tough ask for anyone. The pace was picked up a tad too much for my taste, felt a little rushed in places, but not to the extent that it spoiled anything.

Olympic standard, sis. Just accept it.  :wink:

I'd say special olympics but that's an insult to all those fabulous athletes.

Anything you'd like to know about us, JB?

If you're comfortable sharing, what do you do in real life? Any other hobbies asside from WoT?

In RL I work two jobs (IT for a telecom, and offer rides for Uber and Lyft), and I'm studying for more IT certifications in the hopes of surviving the next round of layoffs (my telecom conducts layoffs twice a year).

I'm married with a son in college, and for hobbies I mostly just read, but my number one item on my bucket list is to earn my private pilot's license. I've convinced myself that if I keep thinking about it, it will happen sooner or later.

private pilot ! wow that sounds exciting O.O

have you already flown as a co-pilot ?

wow, that's some super stressy stuff there at your job. Layoffs twice a year? What kind of policy is that?

Good luck on the studying! I'm currently studying for my master's too on top of my fulltime job (I'm midlifecrississingkindasorta')

I have had exactly one flying lesson so far. It was something called a Discovery Flight offered by flight schools to get a taste, see if it's what a potential student really wants. Before I can continue, I have to pay off my son's college loans and fix my house up to my wife's satisfaction, as lessons would make for an expensive hobby. Meanwhile, I read what I can about learning to fly and (eventually) building my own airplane.

Two layoffs a year is what happens when a major telecom does whatever it can to remain competitive. Outsourcing, automation, off-shoring--all things that can improve the corporate bottom line. Somewhere an executive (who makes a helluva lot more than I do) is looking at my salary and muttering darkly.

*smirks* Myst does that a lot too. The muttering... darkly. Especially if we turn things pink. But sometimes just to look scary. I'm trying to prepare you here.

(in all seriousness that really sucks. Unfortunately, all too common in companies everywhere these days.)

I don't lay off people though... If anything, I give them more work to do!

Ever consider applying for a job in a company that has a more humane HR policy?

not to mention an actual business plan that manages to keep it going without having to rely on lay-offs.... sounds to me like that company could use some lessons in business management.
If it has that much trouble staying afloat that it has to organise lay-offs twice a year then perhaps those execs are in the wrong business. Imagine if every company was like that... *shakes head*

I don't imagine IT to be much better in comparison. Maybe things will get better now that outsourcing is being cut (much to the sadness of Indian companies if newspapers here are reliable). Upgrading skills is pretty much a requirement to stay in IT as far as I have heard.

It is oversaturated with 90% of employees being unemployable. A lot of large companies rely on being the source for outsourced jobs. The mass recruiting firms have horrible working conditions like people with offer not getting to join the company, getting fired before they could even work, working according to American timings etc. Some of the better colleges had to ban those companies from campus placement because of their working conditions but lower colleges don't have that option. It isn't bad if you are from top government colleges (and a couple or so private ones) but otherwise IT is a job that sucks away your soul because there are so many people who are willing to do the same thing for lesser amount.

smacking nooooooo .... 

i would never do that ... :baalzamon:

Well i prefer to cover Myra with a shower of glitters or to steal her weapons and replace them by something a bit more rubbery ...

she does, doesn't she?

*eyes her Sitter with renewed admiration* Le Sigh! :wub:

:biggrin: thanks ! <3

*snugglebites the Myra*

now, you shouldn't return to your quarters just yet... ^^

Warders should always tread lightly in the Red Ajah, they have tendencies to be bound, bitten, snuggles and prettied. 

That's because you were already pretty ...

:biggrin:

(you're keeping me right?)