DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Aiel Heart

The Red Field Trip

nice analogy. so how would you describe the other ajahs? its one thing to read them another to get a perspective outside of their own. 

Actually I have always seen the browns as the cats. Never all doing one thing. Hard to herd.

Reds are more like a pack of lions.

little about me? umm i'm terrible at that question. just an artist poking around the ajahs trying to get a feel for things. 

do have a question for you guys though. what brought you to the Red Ajah?

Oh an artist! what kind of art? Writing, drawing, sculpturing, something else? Can we see some of your work?

What brought me to the Reds (despite my firm decision 'not' to become a Red, shows what I knew) was the description and the explanation I got as an Accepted from one of the ancient Reds who was, at the time, not part of the group that decided being an addon from the Greens was a good thing. (the Greens were much different back then but even so, I don't agree with any Ajah being a 'mini-otherAjah').

It was the combination of things for me. The straight forwardness with which Ajah members could discuss things without anyone getting their knickers in a twist. The ability to be passionate and heated without becoming personally offended or offensive. The room and space that each member has to do their own thing and not be held to any kind of obligation but at the same time have that togetherness and closenit feel that grows organically from being in the same family. As Elgee says, Reds don't live in each other's pocket but you mess with one of those pockets and see how fast we group together. :wink: Of course, it is entirely possible that it will be a Red itself that will confront you if they feel the need on any given topic or reason. Our being of the same family does not automatically mean we'll agree with you. It takes a certain kind of backbone to go through a Red discussion. Some have that naturally, others have grown more secure over time, but what we don't do is fake it. We'll be ourselves, no matter what that means. Now obviously, being oneselves has to fit with the Ajah or the Ajah simply isn't the right place for you. And it has happened that people have missjudged either themselves or the Ajah (which happens in all Ajahs btw). We try to avoid it but it happens. When it does, we try to handle it in a mature and respectful manner.

There's very little to no drama at the Reds. Which wasn't always the case, but has been now for many years.

Edited by Mystica

Actually I have always seen the browns as the cats. Never all doing one thing. Hard to herd.

well, lions are big cats, so that fits. Though I would really love to see anyone try to herd a pack of lions. LOL

I wouldn't join them, but I'd observe. From a distance. Behind a sturdy glass wall.

what kind of art? comic books. though i try and keep  up practice in several mediums. pencil, pen and ink, watercolors etc. http://www.nearmintmill.com/  thats my site, by all means poke around there. we take all the attention we can get. 

gotta say i like how you all describe the ajah. actually you know i was thinking it sounds as if this is what the Red ajah in the books would have been had the male half never been tainted. 

wow nice work! did you do all of those? bit of a challenge finding everythng, is that by design?

Thanks, that's nice of you to say. That's kind of what we thought too about the Ajah. Don't know if you've read the piece we made on the misconceptions of the Book Reds yet, but that covers that part of the differences and similarities between the DM Reds and the Book Reds.

well, lions are big cats, so that fits. Though I would really love to see anyone try to herd a pack of lions. LOL

I wouldn't join them, but I'd observe. From a distance. Behind a sturdy glass wall.

And the lioness is a fierce hunter, more so than the lazy so-called king of the jungle. 

pretty apt analogy really.  and great now i'm thinking of how cool it'd look to see a red maned lion. like red red. 

mystica, yeah all the art is me. and not by design no, we're always happy to hear thoughts and ideas on how to better the site. if you could elaborate on the design issue we'd appreciate it :) 

Don't think I've ever seen a really red lion - that would be stunning! They're usually shades of blonde, and dark brown ("black"), even. Best I can do for you are a few gingas:

mg_08501.jpg

Deep-Kalahari-Black-Maned-Lion.jpg

-stares at newcomers before shaking his head, waiting for his nails to dry and wincing every time he moves-

*grins* you look spiffy James! And don't you deny it!

Killi, the prettying is a time honored Red tradition that dates back to the Age of Legends.

As so many things in history, the prettying tradition has undergone a metamorphises throughout the many years. 
Today it stands for the prepping of young Tower initiates towards their future roles as Seniors.
Usually this is reserved for future Warders and most Reds will restrict themselves to the Algai or Manshima's or the occasional Der'Manshima (believe it or not, some of them actually come asking for it themselves).

The prettying tradition requires a Red Hand and can therefore be done only by a Red. They may request the assistance of non-Reds and will (if there are any around) usually enlist the assistance of a Red Acceptence (as a learning experience, you understand).

Our Warders have a very important task. Not only must they be worthy of their Aes Sedai, they also must represent the White Tower, the Tower Guard and personalize the protection of the Amyrlin Seat.

So obviously, we can't allow them to stomp about like a babbling bunch of baffoons. They must be presentable. Impeccable. Prestine. Pretty!

And there is no hand better at achieving that than a Red's. :happy:

Edited by Mystica

giphy.gif

Thank you Mystica that was perfect.

I <3 the Reds.

I am looking forward to seeing or participating in a prettying.

Edited by Killashandra

Oh dearie me, you truly don't know what you're asking for do you? :wink:

Edited by E James Todd

well she won't be on the receiving end of it, but she might be able to assist in one. Depends on the pool of potential candidates though. I'm not seeing much fresh meat, um I mean new, fine looking algai around these days.

You know you loved yours James, don't play hard to get!

What myst said about prettying, but also...

Yeah, we don't need Warders tromping muddy boots around the white tower 

Hello, Reds. Just popping by. As a man, I'm very glad to see that you're not like the man-eating Reds in the novels.

hey James, welcome!

No we don't eat them, we only nibble from time to time :)

How are you doing? Are you enjoying your WT time? What have you been up to so far around these parts?

So far so good. Everyone's been very welcoming, and I appreciate that. I've been poking around, getting a feel for the place.

have you finished the entire series yet? What did you think of Brandon taking over?

*removes self from the river* Bread, Mother? Really?! Do I look like a duck? On second thoughts, don't answer that.  :rolleyes:

We did an excellent job of rowing, sis. You know it. Stop filling their heads with nonsense.  :tongue: You haven't read the Crystal Singer books? What's wrong with you?

I knew about Killashandra being a place name. :smile:  Huge McCaffrey fan, and she lived in Ireland of course. Sad loss when she died.

*still hasn't read the last Book* don't spoil it for me !!

I like all these animal comparisons. Cats sleep a lot...this is a good thing. 

Hi James and James. That's going to get confusing! And hi to Cross to. I was in a similar situation to Chae. Started off in the Whites but it didn't work out for me for various reasons and I requested a switch to the Reds. That independence and space that Elgee talks of has a lot to do with my choice. More importantly however, is the Reds' ability to have strong opinions, state them, discuss them and still respect their Sisters who disagree. We debate, we discuss, we may even argue loudly now and then... we do NOT fall out and create dramas about it. 

*rummages Mysty's brain for a few minutes* Better  :cool: *vanishes*