DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Red Field Trip

I have looked around the pinned topics, scuttled around the website for a hot minute, and poked around in the threads; and to the nearest I can tell (which, being me, is like to be wrong as not), the Red raison d'être seems to be finding passion in life.

And sporks.

And whatever a "snugglebite" is.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*snugglebites James within an inch of his life*

That is very snugglebite. Depending on your constitution it is either the greatest thrill of your life, or the greatest thrill of your life. :wink:

I don't think finding passion in life is quite right. More the ability to stand straight in the face of injustice and never defer from what is right, even if it is to our detriment.

Aha. Well, I've definitely done that a time or two. I almost got kicked out of university and forcibly flunked out of my major of choice because I dared to take a different path and (once I did) found the reason why nobody seemed to do the same thing was because my academic "advisor" would either force them to conformity and submission or open confrontation and subsequent dismissal from the program. Even my graduating year, that happened, with the threat of expulsion; but I kept on, for the sake of the countless others this had happened to. When an investigation was finally called, the higher-ups suddenly realized that I wasn't lying about what had happened and that it hadn't happened to just me; they could confirm at least 18 other cases in the previous 10 years alone. Suddenly, the staff member in question was informed she was retiring.

That's not the only example, just the most prominent in recent memory. I've done other things as well, but I won't recount here. It's actually one of the surefire ways to get me vocal and take a stand. Level an injustice agains me, I will have a quiet discussion. Level an injustice against someone else, especially someone I know, I will move mountains and part seas to see that injustice taken care of. It's just who I am. There's enough crappy and difficult things to go through in life without people being rude, unkind, and discriminatory to each other.

-steps off soap box, hands to Tynaal Sedai-

Edited by E James Todd

Hello - I amm Ishamael, currently making my way through Part Two of training. I would greatly appreciate any info about your Ajah that would help me, and also may draw me into joining the Reds...

Hey to the both of you !!!

Mmhhhh looking for info about the reds ? What can I tell you ... *thinks*

We are a bunch of passionately people who like to enjoy life. Sometimes, people get trapped in Mystica's dungeon (Myst is one of our Sisters who happens to be the previous head), poked with sporks, snugglebit, covered with strange or not so strange substance, ...

But besides all that, we also have fights and causes we believe in. For example, we celebrate the international women's week, organize cultural exchanges, aso.

Do not hesitate to ask us any question you may have ! :biggrin:

Good and you are welcome ! :biggrin:

wipes_sweat-forehead.gif

I had to re-read my post like 4 times to be sure it was comprehensible lol

Day was quite intense and my English is bad when I am tired :tongue:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am also here for my field trip. But I brought some things to tempt the lovely Reds to come out a talk to me.

First a cherry pie!  

4732133120_4e1f5c33fb.jpg

(pulls a pretty fan out and start to waft the yummy aroma towards the red ajah chambers)

Of course some sporks to eat it with

spork.jpg

For beverages you have a choice of 

article-0-1D2975D500000578-387_308x425.j

Or 

red-drink-psd-410904.png

Those a perfect choices ! Welcome Killashandra ! :biggrin:

So, as you know I'm a Red Sister and Sitter lol

Do you have questions for us ?

Also, do you like cherry pies ?

(those are amongst my favourites :3)

I do like cherry pie. I like pumpkin better though.

Sure I have a question. In your main description it says hell no to liking the book red ajah. I dont feel that strongly about them in a negative way. They have a few issues like all the book ajahs. (Well maybe not brown) I have a ton of respect for book reds in a lot of ways. Is this kind of talk about book reds a way to distance and differentiate the DM reds from the possible stereotypes? It seems so. But do all DM reds feel that way?

We are mostly distancing ourselves from men hating stereotype (and Elaida). The Red Ajah in books had a purpose and some of them worked hard for it. Pevara, Silviana, etc are some Reds whom I respect/like.

Pumpkin pie is not bad either lol

There are quite some difference between us and the Reds in the (especially earlier) books. First of all, a lot of us are Bonded, we spend time in the Warders Yard but also with our other Aes Sedai Sisters. I am Souvra Bonded to a Blue Aes Sedai, it's not the kind of thing that would happen in the books where a lot of Reds tended to stay with the rest of their pack  :tongue:

We are also more open to mischief (Well I am lol :laugh:) than the books AS. As said in the intro, our visitors can be poked by sporks or snugglebitten (if that is a real word) ... sometimes they are sent to Mystica's dungeon lol

Then, we have activities that are our own (International women's week, aso) and where we usually show our passionate side (so, we're not seeking to gentle our friends from the Black Tower ...even though it would be interesting to try it once lol).

I hope I managed to answer your question !

Edited by Chaelca

*swoops in and grabs the yummy looking one and snugglebites her in to next week*

Hi there and welcome! :)

Am I correct in assuming your reference to the 'hell no' part of liking the book Reds is from this piece ?
At the time that piece was written, the DM Reds were constantly facing prejudice based on the book Reds perception which was (at that time) for the most part extremely negative.
We, DM Reds, recognised those flaws in the book Reds but we also saw beyond that and in to the heart of what that Ajah was meant to be. What it had set out to be and what its purpose was.
The piece is long, but we hope it provides and answer to precisely that question, which is summarized in the final paragraph.

To answer Quisalas’ question, I do not know what the original Reds at Dragonmount.com had in mind but I do know this now. The DM Reds do not wish to link themselves to a negative image. We do not wish to link ourselves to any image. We don’t claim the book Red’s image as our own, as that would undermine our own identity as individuals. What we do relate to heavily is that determination, the passion, the strength and the resolve to stand against what must be opposed, no matter the odds. To do what must be done, regardless the cost to ourselves. To not let peer pressure force us into a box we don’t want to be in. We stand for total equality, for a person’s right to be whoever they want to be, for an individual’s right to independence and their opinions. But unlike the book Reds, we DM Reds haven’t face 3 millenia of hatred and despise and so we haven’t had the need to build up our defences to cope with that. Which leaves an awfull lot of freedom to form friendships and relationships with others.

I am greatful for your question though, because it allows an insight in to the minds and perceptions of the Reds at this moment in time. We are, after all, quite a number of years later than when that piece was written :)

I've had many great moments here in the Ajah. One of my favorites remains one of the mores succesful Dungeon Episodes we've had where I had numerous Tower folk locked in my dungeon and they had to perform all sorts of tasks and challenges to earn their way out.

Another one of my favorite moments was when my Reddies surprised me 5 years ago for my 5 year Head Anniversary and I received a fabulous bouquet of long stemmed roses at home.

Meeting my fellow Reddies is always a great time too. Last one was with Chaelca during the last FACTS (Belgian Con) beginning this month.

The DM Reds have always been notorious wanderers which accounts for the silence around our halls at the moment, but we know our home and our family and while we are characterized by our independence we flock together when one of us is in need.

That's a tough one *thinks hard*

I enjoyed last trip in Mystica's dungeon. We had to work a lot for our release (and I don't think I managed to escape). There were creative contests and such to gain points.

Now, my favorite part was probably when I joined the Reds. I come from the Greens (that I love pretty much :wub: !) but it's here that I really found my place. My Red Sis really made me feel at ease and super welcomed.

Second fav is the Facts where I met our Highest <3

Have you already been to Cons, Killashandra?

Well next year I am going to jordan con. I am on another website were I am a Brown and we have events. I have been there for a very long time (12 years) I am actually really excited to come to DM and get a chance to start brand new. Maybe learn new things about myself I cant learn in a community I essentially grew up in.

Anyway getting off track, this other site has two big events each year as well as Jordan Con. I got to go the anniversary party this year. 50 members went and it was in Colorado. I also was able to go to the 10th anni in 2011 which Harriet, Brandon and the rest of team Jordan attended. It was held in Jordan's town.We got to tour his home and spend time with Harriet. Two of the ladies from team Jordan actually joined the Browns. So it was all very special. Did you know Harriet is red ajah? I have a picture of her in a red ajah shawl somewhere. I will post it when I find it.

I am really excited about Jcon though because I will probably get to meet a few DM members too.

How many active red sisters are in the US?

Must of ran into a serious glitch sorry about that. Anyway I found that picture!

http://imgur.com/TwIOqDe (not a great pic she was blinking or talking)

Look her shawl even has cherries?! Maybe she got it from DM reds? I dont know if Cherries for reds is a think at our site...

She is holding the Brown Ajah traveling dust bunny. We mail him to different browns who keep him for awhile and take him on adventures. When he goes to big events like this all the brown sisters take pictures of him stuck in the front of our dresses.

Edited by Killashandra

I have no idea about how many Reds they are in the US nor that Harriet was Red XD lol

Thanks for sharing !

oh is that other website TarValon.net ?

(and i love that bunny idea :laugh:)

and do you have a brown shawl then ?

and ... well cherries are definitely a thing for me (dunno about the others) ! It's mt fav fruit of all time <3

I don't think I'll be able to get to Jcon or Dragoncon or anything else in the US (at least for now) the kiddos wouldn't be happy to see me leaving without them :blush:

Heh yeah but I did not want to go around talking about it with the name a lot. Then I realized I have been there so long I dont know how to talk about myself without talking about them. I do have a brown shawl. I have two!

My pretty one is brown and purple. I used to be bonded and his company (guild here?) color is purple. Also my fav color is purple.

http://imgur.com/a/G1ekp

This was at the March event in Colorado.

I am glad I could share something so cool you did not know. :) 

back of shawl

http://imgur.com/d58nIpD

Edited by Killashandra

We have no issue with TV - lots of our members are there too :)

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE cherries! It's not something that's widely available here in South Africa, unfortunately. In fact, I first tasted it when I was in Germany as an exchange student. We only get them for a short time each year, in limited supply, and hellishly expensive. We tend to eat them fresh and as is, then, because you couldn't buy enough to bake anything with them. I did actually find a jar of Cherry Bombs a while ago at a farmstall - man, was I a happy girl! They were delicious, especially over vanilla ice cream *grins*

I also quite like the book Reds, even though I am disappointed that so many of them lost their way. And we'll not even mention what I think of the ... "darker" Reds, hmmm?

Favourite moments here (oh yes - I was raised from the Red. The previous 2 Amyrlin's were raised from the Brown.):

I think it was back in the early days, when I was newly raised, and my sister Talya was still around. Lordy, did we get into trouble often! We ran riot in this place, along with our Green sister, Kara-J. Myst had all her days with us *grins*

To say the least! that lot was a menace guild and a half. Which Chae seems determined to become a member of as well.

There are quite a few of us DM Reds at TVnet too.

Muirenn, Chaelca and myself are Greens there. Then there's Yelenia (I think she's a Brown there too?) and Tynaal (who is Nyavene and a Yellow there).

I didn't know that about Harriet either, way cool :) That shawl looks like it might have been made by Muirenn. I know she and Yelenia have made shawls before.

In fact, my own shawl is a Yele creation

Loving that shawl and that entire outfit! You look stunning.

I went to the green toast this year at anni. :)

Yes Yele is a Brown.

I think it is super interesting how different sites can have such different cultures that each ajah at each site is totally different. I am excited to be at the start all over again but now at my age. I think I am very changed from 18 and early 20s. I am going to explore each ajah but is it allowed to say I hoping to eventually end up in red?

Thank you! A lady on etsy made my dress. You cant really find a brown and purple dress off the rack. The jewelery though I had from my and my husbands reception in pakistan. My outfit was purple.

I love your long fringe and the color being darker than the fringe.