DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Aiel Heart

The Brown Field Trip

Hey Senexx!

I don't know much about Australia, except that Tumblr seems convinced that it's full of deadly creatures. Is this true?

And I do recommend Malazan and/or Coldfire if you're ever looking for new things to read and enjoy fantasy! Coldfire is three books (obviously, being a trilogy, duh) and the main series in Malazan is 10 books, but there are... oh, almost as many books' worth of companion novels, already. Some by another author, Ian C. Esslemont, who co-created the world with Erikson.

Good stuff.

That's true.  That said you don't encounter them nearly as much as suggested.

Malazan looks slightly interesting.  I may even look into it eventually but until then I'll stick with the second sons trilogy by Jennifer Fallon,

Oh, that Second Sons trilogy looks interesting, too. Adding to my endless list of things to read...

ooooh hi NT!!!

welcome to our humble abode :happy:

today I made another pitcher of brown daiquiris for myself and the first chair with pineapple, strawberry-banana-orange juice, grenadine, curaçao, lime juice and kraken, lots. looked just like chocolate. worked more betterer.

I will be lucid another day.

today I will wrap myself around a ball of yarn :smile:

Edited by cindy

Hiiii Cindy! Thank you~!

And that sounds delicious -- very fruity! I bet it does work better than chocolate on a warm day.

And I quite agree there. Why be lucid when you can be a kitty. =^-^=

Hi NT! It's good to see you in here. I've thought of reading Malazan but haven't gotten around to it. Right now I'm rereading WoT.

Thank you, sir! ^_^

I'm starting a WoT reread, too, in June with a bunch of other people on Tumblr. Should be fun!

Hi to all browns!!:)

I am Zanube. I have just joined DM a few months back after being in the shadow for sometime. My interests are reading, playing table tennis, eating, sleeping etc. I play table tennis professionally. My favourite books are WoT and the Bartimaeus trilogy. Nice to see many people who like RJ's books. Anyway...what are the interests of this Ajah?

Hi zanube! A rare pleasure :smile:

I believe our interests are.... Interests. They vary by person and with time but I think the common thread might be the way we approach things. Like a cat on a Mouse trail who is then distracted by a laser pointer.

Table tennis? Sounds like more fun than my job :biggrin: how'd that come about?

Hi Zanube! I'm the Ajah Head hereabouts. Our interests are a lot of books, and some travel and history sometimes. Browns tend to be like their book counterparts in that they are heavily introverted and can be disassociated from the world around them. I'm not sure I have ever heard of playing table tennis professionally.

Hello! I listen to a few Aussie genre podcasts, Galactic Suburbia being my favorite . I love the accent and I'd love to visit someday ! Course I'd love to visit almost anywhere. :D

Ohh heyyy Blank! *noms cookie* Thankies!

Would I be guessing anywhere near right if I ventured that Malazan or Coldfire are the ones you're not familiar with? Although a fair few people around DM seem to have read Malazan, too; I'm positively surprised. For such a massive, relatively successful series, the people who have read it are usually few and far between outside the series' own fan communities.

Also, I've been wondering about your forum name, is there a story behind it? Because well... "blank" looks like you couldn't come up with one and decided to roll with it. :D But it's also really cool and elegant in an understated way.

I'm so late, I know, I know!

Malazan I've read/started reading....I steam rolled through five of the books and thought to myself "that's quite a lot of reading, I'll take a small breather" and that was two years ago. But I'll go back to it, I promise  :tongue:

Coldfire I have no knowledge of.

As for my forum name. Weeeeell Dragonmount was the first internetty forum thing I've ever joined and I was initially a bit panicked about picking a username so fast so I thought I'd put down the first thing that came into my head. Then nothing came into my head....the thought space was blank....and TADAAAA! Very similar to the scenario you thought really  :tongue: But I actually really love my username now - a lot to be honest!

Browns tend to be like their book counterparts in that they are heavily introverted and can be disassociated from the world around them. 

Apart from me. Hello...I'm Blank, the Brown Ajah's token extrovert...nice to meet you Zanube!

I like watching tv and reading a lot and science and making bad jokes. I also have zilcho co-ordination so I am muchos jealous of your table tennis playing skills!

I must have been reading the wrong page, oops!

My interests depend on whatever is sparking my passion at the time. It's part of thereason I can be really involved one moment and disappear the next. Some things like feminism and diversity in the genre are continuing, others are more fleeting like being really active on a fan forum. My most recent interest is actually American Football.

Cindy- Thank you for your welcome! I like that this Ajah other than books have an interest for interests. Though a common interest is very nice. Table Tennis is fun but I don't about your job....is it that boring? I haven't been playing because of school. I am just practicing at the moment.

Basel- Thank you very much for your welcome! It is nice that you people like books and travel. I like to travel but sometimes I just like tone In the comforts of my own home. I too am sometimes an introvert and I like the Brown in WoT and in DM. Most people don't take table tennis as a career and I too am in that genre. But I have been to the state level and so I have to practice with professional coaches. And if a person has been to the nationals he can be called proffesional players

Edited by Zanube

Hello Browns. :)

I'm Meridian, recently arrived on DM and working through my WT class. Books are a passion of mine, and have been since I read Ivanhoe when I was twelve. Since then I've amassed a library of over five thousand books by now, and while I appreciate Amazon and similar websites that make book hunts easier, I still like the treasure hunt aspect of searching through antique stores and finding the books I am looking for in person. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to that anymore. I would guess that most of you are familiar with Jules Verne, but have you ever read The Courier of the Czar? Sometimes it has been published under the title Michael Strogoff. It's one of Verne's lesser known books, but on my list it is my second favorite adventure novel.

Also, I recently started a crochet project for a friend who's a bit cold-natured as an Aes Sedai. I'm making her a green shawl of warm cozyness, and I've had an idea of how to work the Flame of Tar Valon on the back, but I noticed that some of you like crafting, so I thought I'd ask if you had any ideas?

I still like the treasure hunt aspect of searching through antique stores and finding the books I am looking for in person.

Yes yes yes!!! I fully agree with you there. There are two second hand bookshops I frequent, and it is like a treasure hunt :p   Also, one of them is called Archives, so for any Rothfuss fans, you can see why I love that place.

*is envious of 5 000 book collection* I live at college, so I only have as many books as I can fit in the little room. :( The majority of mine are at my parents'.

I haven't actually read any Jules Verne, though there is some stuff on my reading list. Then again, who ever gets through their reading list without getting distracted by alluring other books  that sneak up on you from behind. XD  If that's second on your list, then what's first? I must know!

I'm afraid I can't help you with the crafting side of things. I'm just generally very bad at crafts. The most crafty thing I've done was cutting out a giant S from card and sticking it on a tarp to make a cape for my best mate Starry. But I know the others will be able to help you. Sorry! 

*releases old book smell in hopes of attracting other Brownies*

Also, hi Meridian, and welcome! XD Just realised I didn't actually say hello. I'm the Bard Babe, but everyone just calls me BB. *gives Meri a brownie*

hi meri! welcome to the Brown Ajah!

*lusts after your library*

I could get lost in a library like that :happy:

I've read the barest little bit of Verne but I've never heard of that one. it sounds like you're very well read, and that doesn't surprise me.

what other authors are you fond of?

I'm afraid my crochet craftiness ends with a scarf or a blanket in free fir stitches cause counting hurts my brain but I know there's a grey or two and at least one very talented white sister who could crochet the Sistine chapel.

I can ask my sis tho - she's very good at many crafts and she made me a lovely shawl though it's sewn of some lovely material.

I myself wear clothes till their worn through and haven't hemmed a garment since the early 80s so I'm no use there.

I can cook and bake you into a coma though and I do believe you were promised sone chocolate- chocolate is copyrighted by the Briwn, all rights reserved :laugh:

and thank you, dear Meri, for such a thoughtful post and a most welcome visit!

Five thousand books is pretty impressive, Meri. I think at most, my collection has only been about 200-300. I haven't heard of that particular Verne book. I'm also curious as to what you have ranked ahead of it. For straight up action and adventure, I'm quite fond of R. A. Salvatore's fantasy novels, which have the best fight scenes I've ever read. Salvatore really shines with the physical stuff. I've also considered reading some Dumas and Fleming for action, as well as Glen Cook's Black Company series.

And if you want advice on crafts, I can't tell you much. I'm sure the Grays could, though. Also worth checking out along those lines would be the Tu'athan social group.