DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Aiel Heart

The Brown Field Trip

Oh Cindy Sedai I love the way you have captured a feel for DM Browns. Thank you. Thats just what I was looking for.

I joined right after chocolate week. I will have to go read those threads.

:happy:

They're in tar valon.

Let me know if you have trouble finding them and I'll link you.

One piece of advice - don't go in there hungry :laugh:

Hey Killashandra, I'm Blank!

As Cindy said above I'm the current First Chair of the Browns. I've been First Chair for about a couple of months now, but I've been the token Brown Ajah extrovert since early 2013  :laugh: (although I did take a year and half break)

I don't know about adding cheese to our brownies but feel free to add as much rum as you like to the hot chocolate!

mint-hot-chocolate.jpg

I actually really enjoyed reading about the TVBrowns - I think it's fascinating to see two groups starting at the same point and then evolving to have completely separate identities. It confirms something that I've felt for a long time, even though the Browns do have certain core characteristics that most of us share the Ajah identity is completely shaped by who is in the Ajah at the time. Our Aes Sedai haven't really changed much over the past 4ish years but looking at old threads in the Brown Ajah board we are a markedly different Ajah than we were 8/9 years ago. 

We got new people (including myself) and we all help to shape the Ajah - that's what I absolutely love about having such a small ajah, I think everyone's personality really shines through! 

Of course, we do have a couple of core similarities. We love books - as you can probably see from our multiple book threads all over our Ajah and our awesome Book Challenge we do every year! 

We usually have pretty intense passions for example: (I hope none of you guys mind me sharing this)

- Cindy and Basel love to cook - so there's lot's of cooking threads and chat about food round the Ajah. Basel is an amazing cook and for a while he was trying out different ways to make BBQ sauce and it was actually so interesting! Cindy also has such a good memory for tv shows and movies she's watched and is a fountain of knowledge!

- Time is crazy smart and very into history and genealogies and will talk your ear off about it and you'll learn so much and love every second of it.

- Senexx is very interested in economics and is so learned and knowledgeable about it I wouldn't know where to start. 

- I love a lot of sciencey type things (specifically genetics) and am very into organisation and can talk for years about planners and notebooks and lists etc.

Our Ajah is very diverse but we are tied together by our shared love of learning and quiet and peace and happiness.

Some of my favourite Brown Ajah things? I can't think of a specific event or thread. It's just coming here and telling people what you've done/read/learned/are mad about today and getting someone saying "hey that's interesting!" It's the constant equilibrium and solidness that I love. When I came back after a year and half gone, I was welcomed as if I'd never been gone and it was lovely.

Though, our chocolate week this year did rock. Thanks to all the awesome participation we had and amazing thread leaders. I'm already excited for our next event in Aug - I love planning events  :laugh:  :laugh:

Why don't you tell us some about yourself? What's your passions? What are reading just now? Welcome to the DM Brown Ajah!

Wait the Brown has chocolate?!

Oh...we have so much chocolate

In fact we have a whole event dedicated to it. We love chocolate. 

After last chocolate week we added a chocolate waterfall room to our rooms in the Tower 

241704948_666e2ce016_b.jpg

Welcome to the Brown Ajah, feel free to dive in posting where ever you like or start your own thread about a subject that interests you!

Tell us a bit about yourself! When did you first start reading Wheel of Time? What's your favourite chocolatey snack? What's your favourite time of day? Anything else you like!

Hot-Cocoa-Cake.V1.main_.jpg

Gosh man I think I started reading the wheel around 23 years ago or so in middle school. Only had the first book. But had a bout of nostalgia recently and re-read it. Now I'm making my way through them all. Currently on the third book though.

Haha seriously? Favorite chocolate thing? Everything? Rarely I'lol come across something tooo chocolatey but rarely. My usual go to snack though is m&m's.

Can't say for time of day they all have their attributes. If I could wake up better I'd say morning.

Gotta say though really enjoying this site its a breath of fresh air

I love hot chocolate but only in winter.

I prefer my chocolate on stuff or containing other stuff. Like chocolate covered strawberries or fruit & nut chocolate bars. I adore boxes if chocolate. Its like a tasty adventure.

My favorite time of day is any time I can grab for being alone.

First started WoT when I was 16 and found the online WoT communities at 18(2003).

I think the similarities and differences is awesome too! I think you are spot on because even the tv.net browns have changed with adding new sisters an in other sisters absences.

Cross if you want any of the audio books I have them all. Thats how I am doing my reread.

Edited by Killashandra

:ph34r: we have no secrets from blank.... extroverts are everywhere :ohmy:

Mr. Gill actually does still cook and so do I. I will have to poke him to write up the recipe next time he makes sauce. as we are getting half a cow and two half hogs shortly, I imagine there will be lots of saucing and cooking.

to be honest, my memory isn't really good at all, but if I like a

movie or tv show or book I will rewatch and reread ad nauseum and some of it will stick to my brain.

I have been shameful in my failure to keep up on reading and it seems my sticky brain and tired old eyes just can't be bovvered anymore :/. someday maybe but,.. probably not today.

and hey hi hello there Cross! of course we have chocolate. it's the essence of brown. like the rum.

thank heavens blank is here :happy: my socialization has switched over to sleepy cat

mode. I don't think I've made eye contact with a human I'm not married to in months.

it's so nice to see new people here though, and such very nice people too!

please stay or come back at will. we

are sometimes slow to react but we do enjoy the visits :smile:

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

awesome i will keep that in mind killishandra! still have a few physical books to get through. 

wait coding quiz? think i'll just go sit in the chocolate fountain and hide from that 

awesome i will keep that in mind killishandra! still have a few physical books to get through.

wait coding quiz? think i'll just go sit in the chocolate fountain and hide from that

that is the correct response! well done!

verin I think. and every other brown in the books and everything about the brown Ajah in WoT. if I lived in that world and could channel I would have no interest in any other pursuit. I just don't see the point. they have all the books, all

the knowledge, all the secrets. they seem absentminded and forgetful while they're mentally dissecting every atom around them.

did I mention they have all the books? they control the knowledge, they run the library. it's the same appeal the library has in discworld. there's nothing that isn't included in that circle.

the brown Ajah here was the only place I really felt at home. I visit here and there and almost everywhere, but a lot of the time I feel the need to flee the level of activity and direct, open interaction. that sound awful but... I feel like I can exit inside myself here, step back a bit from the world if that makes sense.

also. chocolate.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

so how would you characterize in general members of this ajah? i've read the main description and all but always get a better feel straight from people. 

I think blank characterized the members about as well as anyone could. as she said, we're very diverse and our most significant commonality is our love of learning. Anything, everything.

I can really only speak for myself on this... Even without meaning to, anything that catches my interest will become a research project. I'll start by reading book. I'll become interested in the author and read biographies and autobiographies, I'll watch movie and tv adaptations. I'll reread the boos and rewatch the adaptations. I'll become interested in the author's family and read their biographies. I'll become interested in their associations and beliefs and I'll wander down those paths. I'll become interested in the way they cooked, the things they made, how they lived, how they succeeded and how they failed and what they might think of the world now.

One path leads to another and so on forever.

I think some of us here are like that. Somewhat obsessive, somewhat compulsive. Somewhat distractable and distracted, and somewhat intense and indefatigable. We may share some personality traits, whether introvert or extrovert, but... I do that kind of evaluation at work so I won't do it here.

It's one of the smallest ajahs so it might make more sense to think of it as a small group of individuals, than as a group. We may be more different than alike? It's hard to say, there are many things I read better than people. Like cats.

You've been here a bit - what do you think?

i can see a lot of that. poking around the different ajahs you get a sense for them pretty quickly, there is a mood/feeling in each. this one is very much a big comfy leather chair in a book bound club where there's quiet conversation mixed with probably a little debate and laughter. and well chocolate. its one of the more friendly ones i've been in. and by that i mean ready to initiate conversation, curiousity, in a welcoming not probing way. which i like. some others are slow to reply, or dont much at all, which could be a numbers thing but its just interesting to see how they all react. 

also think that question 'what do you think?' gets asked around here a lot. think you guys appreciate that you learn more from conversation than you do from books at times. 

You're very kind. Thank you for visiting with us. I hope you hang around when you can :).

I love your description. That's how I feel here, the comfy chair, the book, the conversation, the chocolate, all of it, ya.

And now I feel compelled to watch some Monty python :laugh::happy:

also think that question 'what do you think?' gets asked around here a lot. think you guys appreciate that you learn more from conversation than you do from books at times. 

You do and also I love hearing how other people perceive the different ajahs - I compulsively read the class threads in the lecture hall because I like to know everyone's impressions. 

I mean, how I see our ajah is subtly different from how cindy or basel or time or sen sees it...so I love hearing about it from a new person's point of view! I lvoe your description though - I could see me hanging out in a club like that forever - and it would be appropriate to have hot chocolate or some nice smooth alcohol there!

I'm glad you think we're friendly because sometimes I'm a bit afraid people think we're boring and sedate  :tongue:

As for what led me to Brown - well I think I'm quite versatile and could have went a bunch of different ways compared to a lot of people in the ajah who seem very "Brown" to me. But this place represented the side I'd go crazy without and fitted all my moods, happy, sad, grumpy, cheerful etc!

It has been interesting to see how things have changed here and meet all the new people. We also used to do a Banned Book week if I remember correctly, which I honestly had no idea about until I joined DM and started hanging out with the Browns. I love how supportive everybody is and they truly pay attention to what people say, unlike in real life where my experience has most people brushing me off or things are too superficial.

For a little while I was on the fence about my ajah even though I felt in my heart that I belonged with the Browns. I think that the similarities between the two when I first joined made it kind of difficult, but the differences made me go with the Browns in the end because it fit my personality more. In the end I have two souvra sisters who joined the Blue and I think we made a nice balance. Browns can seem introverted and many are, but once you get to know them they can be very open.

I get what your saying about people assuming boring or sedate. Even in the books though that to me is a massively wrong assumption. The brown ajah actually has the most freedom of all the ajahs. While preserving the library and protecting knowledge is important I dont feel like it is as heavy a task. The ajah handles that pretty simply.

Then they are totally free to explore what interested them personally. The things they would study ranged from practical to really obscure. I mean come on that is awesome.

Blues and grays have to run the whole damn world (or they think the do anyway). So much responsibility! Ugh. Even reds had a huge sometimes morally hard task. That had to effect them in ways I think the Browns got to avoid. The browns where kind of above it all. Separate in a way that I would have personally preferred in a world like theirs. Browns get to take life at their own pace. Go where they want or stay locked up away in the library if they want. I think of all the ajahs it is as if the Browns had privileged lives. They not only get that but the air of not being vital to everyday was a little played up by the Browns. More like yeah sure guys you go do that. I am just going to stay over here... There is what, one amyrlin from Brown even mentioned in the books? I think Browns just dont attract those with agendas or are hungry for power. Browns get the hungry for knowledge ones though. Ones that will do literally anything to learn something others dont know, like Verin.

The boring and sedate is a facade to hide the real cool kids club. Lol

i can see a lot of that. poking around the different ajahs you get a sense for them pretty quickly, there is a mood/feeling in each. this one is very much a big comfy leather chair in a book bound club where there's quiet conversation mixed with probably a little debate and laughter. and well chocolate. its one of the more friendly ones i've been in. and by that i mean ready to initiate conversation, curiousity, in a welcoming not probing way. which i like. some others are slow to reply, or dont much at all, which could be a numbers thing but its just interesting to see how they all react. 

I often learn just from listening to conversation without really inputting that much.

depends on the situation for me. in person i'm more like you basel, i listen, observe.online its more 50/50 ask questions and observe. i mean i lurked around here a while before deciding on joining

Hello, Browns. My first post here in the Field Trip, although I've participated my fair share in the other bookish threads here. I'm a fanatical reader, keeping at least a half a dozen books going at once, and reading 75 to 100 books per year. Twenty years of working in a bookstore will do that to a person.