DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A lost traveler seeking some help!

Sherper

Greetings! Fellow travellers and Tar Valon Witches! This is my first time here at Dragonmount and/or The White Tower, so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I’ve read most of the introductory posts on the forums but there are still a few queries I was hoping someone might clear up. First and fore-most, could someone explain how the White Tower society in this thread actually works? I know Elgee…errr I mean Mother, said that there were to be minimum role playing in these sections, but also goes on to talk about things like ‘channelling’, ‘bonding’ etc. What I am curious about is how these things actually work, if you’re not RP-ing, and to what degree we’re allowed to stylize our posts with particular personas.

Hope to one day become part of this community, and I’m sure I’ll have a blast of a time once I clear and breech my ‘newbie period’.

Light protect, I’m just here for information. Don’t want no, Aes Sedai strings snaring me!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Snares* ... lol

Firstly, you are more than welcome to call me Elgee! All this "mothering" isn't good for me, I'm sure.

Secondly, I hope you make a turn by the RP side too - you write beautifully, and they'll be very happy to share you out amongst themselves, methinks *grins*

Thirdly ... it is so very difficult to describe the difference between RP and Social, without sounding like a complete loon. One big difference is that here at the Social side, you are yourself, not a character. Even if you RP a bit in some thread, it would still be as yourself, not as a character ...except of course that you can channel / wield a sword / whatever Aes Sedai or Warder thingummy it is that you're doing at said time :P

So basically we hang around here, chatting, playing games, forming friendships, discussing topics and events, and every now and then pretending we're really Aes Sedai or Warders :P

We sub-group into personality and/or interest types (for instance, the Brown's are really into travelling, reading, studying etc whereas the Grays are into Crafts & Cooking, etc etc) so you can stick to your sub-group or hang out in the main group or find your best ratio somewhere in between.

The best advice I can give you is to join up and join in - it's free, and if you don't enjoy it you can check out any time you want. Just like at a certain Hotel. In California.

:biggrin:

Hello and welcome Sherper! The WT is a social group, so that means it's a place we get to hang out :) It's also a tiny weeny bit of roleplaying in the sense that you start out as iniate, choose the warder or AS ranks, and as you complete different requirements, you'll rise in rank :) But this isn't a roleplaying place in the sense that we make up stories and talk them out. Like Elgee said; in here you are yourself, not some made-up character. Channeling (and thus slight RPing) here can involve this:

*weaves Air and floats a cup of tea over to Sherper*

But not this:

Misheru wove Air, fetching a teacup for herself, and on second thought sent one over to Sherper too, the newcomer she's met wandering the halls of the Tower looking lost and confused. He had asked for her advice, and she was still pondering the best way to go about this task.

So, light roleplaying would mean a sentence here and there in appropriate threads, describing what you're doing or thinking. Most often, it's event threads. Look in the Tar Valon board; at the murder mystery game. There's some light roleplaying going on there :)

A bonding is two persons choosing to make their friendship official. You have three kinds of bonds; The warder/aes sedai, the souvra (between two aes sedai (or accepted)), and the warder blood bond, between two warders. Only accepted/manshima up can bond (the ranks are: initiate: Novice, Accepted, Aes Sedai, or initiate: Algai, Manshima, Der'Manshima for the warders). They make a thread, mostly commonly in the Hall, where they talk abou their friendship and what they value in the other person. How you do your bonding, is different from each bonded couple; each friendship is unique after all :) Some does it quite simply, others have long elaborate posts. Here it is also fine to have a tiny bit of roleplaying, but again, only just a few sentences... If you do more, Mama LG comes after you with her whip :laugh: (I know from experience, oooops. It's easy to get carried away :blush: )

So, mostly, we're a group who hang out and have fun, talk about all kinds of different stuff, from playing games to deep talks. Each Ajah has their own theme, and there's events being run almost all the time, so there's always someone to talk with or something to do!

And when you get your permissions in order, stop by the Green Ajah to say hi, eh? We looove getting to know the new aspies!

(oh, and most people here has nicknames; Mine is Mish, so please don't bother yourself by typing my entire username, lol :tongue: )

Excellent, I’m not born with the Spark, (I don’t think) and I like resolving differences with blunt words and even blunter objects (i.e. cudgels, sword-breakers and on occasion large tree trunks); maybe I’ll get along with the Warders. I’ve filled out a form as part of the process and can’t wait to begin meeting new people! :wink:

Is there a sign up sheet for the role playing section too? I remember you mentioning one in your mega-intro post.

And you mind me asking how you became Amyrlin? Curious.

The RP is the sections underneath this one, I think you'll find all the information you need at the subforum called The Welcome inn :) I don't really know much about the RP section.

You'll first become an initate, and then you take a "class"  (to get to know the WT, it's easy and fast), and then after completing that you get to choose your path :) boys can become Aes Sedai and girls Warders; it's all about where you feel most at home! Because the WT is a home to most of us :happy:

The biiiig 101 sticky we have pinned at the top of this board has a lot of our rules and guidelines on it, so if you haven't looked through it much yet it might be a place to look. You can also just look through some of our other threads and see how we interact. If you are interested in joining up, please post a "Read and Understood" in the 101 thread, and either I or my Aes Sedai counterpart (the Mistress of Novices) will get you signed up! (You could always sign up just to try it out and see how you like it! ;) )

As Mish said, you will then be an Initiate and can will take a class to get to know the Tower and its workings better. Upon graduation, you get to choose the Aes Sedai or Warder rank. From there, we have other activities and requirements for you to complete to reach the top level of either path. 

Oh, and I should probably introduce myself. I'm Aiel Heart (aka "Heart") and I'm the Mistress at Arms here at the White Tower.

I'm second in command to Fnorrll, our Sword Captain/leader of the Warders, and I'm in charge of all of the lower ranks of Warders and also help to keep an eye on  the Warders in general as well as the Initiates and Aes Sedai Aspies.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! 

*glares at Snarly*  Elgee, he's trying to scare new initiates away again!

Welcome, Sherper!  It's always nice to see new people come to the White Tower social group!  I think everyone else has already covered the major details so I just popped in to say hi.  Oh, and Mother's whip has nothing on her claws . . . You see, the Amyrlin also happens to be my kitten from way back when she was a wee ickle aspie.  :biggrin: 

I would add my encouragement to everyone else's to take a look around throughout the Tower. Once you get access to the sub-boards, I hope you stop by all the Ajahs, including the Blue!  We love visitors!

*pssssst* get out while you still can!!

QFT!!!

I'd welcome you but everyone will know it's a big fib anyhow so I'll just stand here behind Fnorrll and nod. I shall also be resisting a gigantic urge to kick him in the bum. But considering I am a composed lady, I will curb that impulse. HEY! no laughing :P

Nyn

Oh btw, Sherper, don't listen to Daruya. You know how every classroom has this creepy kid that sits in the back with a mysterious duffel bag? Yeah, that's right. You wanna avoid those people.

*glares at Snarly*  Elgee, he's trying to scare new initiates away again!

Wouldn't wanna run out of stalking candidates, would ya? :P

Welcome, Sherper!  It's always nice to see new people come to the White Tower social group!

Yes, and when she says 'see' she means ogle, observe and watch as they take a shower through a peeping hole! (That's right, I know about the peeping hole, Dar).

I think everyone else has already covered the major details so I just popped in to say hi.

She'll do the uncovering later >.>   And she wanted to say hi so you'll always know she's there, even (and especially!!!) when  you don't see her O_O

Oh, and Mother's whip has nothing on her claws . . . You see, the Amyrlin also happens to be my kitten from way back when she was a wee ickle aspie.  :biggrin:

As will you one day soon. Sooner than you think.... *insert dramatic music followed by bow chicka bow wow music*

I would add my encouragement to everyone else's to take a look around throughout the Tower. Once you get access to the sub-boards, I hope you stop by all the Ajahs, including the Blue!  We love visitors!

Yeah, rumor has it whoever has gone into the blues never comes out. Sure, you get the access but you gotta ask yourself... just because it can be done, does it mean that it SHOULD be done?!? Ha!

Well, enjoy whatever time you have left Sherper. ^_^

Cheers,

Nyn

LOL!  Nyn, you always make me laugh!  And you know you love me and would miss me if I stopped stalking you sporadically.

*stands across the room and ogles Nyn*

*attempts to put on a convincing grin (fails)*

I…errrr thank you Aes Sedai for your errrrr…warm reception.

*Edges closer to door. Hand automatically hovers over sword hilt*

I’ll be sure to take your advices into great consideration…

*Aside and mutters to self: That guy at the Tavern was right, Tar Valon witches are crazy! I Should’ve never come here.*

Hahahah Sherper that's why you hang out with us Warders!!!!

*Stuffs Fnorrll inside a tea cozy and sits on him* 

Slander and calumny!  We are wonderful, harmless people . . . well, except for Fnorrll when he's grumpy and Elgee when she hasn't had her kaf.

Or Myst when the P-color is mentioned XD 

*Snares* ... lol

Firstly, you are more than welcome to call me Elgee! All this "mothering" isn't good for me, I'm sure.

Secondly, I hope you make a turn by the RP side too - you write beautifully, and they'll be very happy to share you out amongst themselves, methinks *grins*

Thirdly ... it is so very difficult to describe the difference between RP and Social, without sounding like a complete loon. One big difference is that here at the Social side, you are yourself, not a character. Even if you RP a bit in some thread, it would still be as yourself, not as a character ...except of course that you can channel / wield a sword / whatever Aes Sedai or Warder thingummy it is that you're doing at said time :P

So basically we hang around here, chatting, playing games, forming friendships, discussing topics and events, and every now and then pretending we're really Aes Sedai or Warders :P

We sub-group into personality and/or interest types (for instance, the Brown's are really into travelling, reading, studying etc whereas the Grays are into Crafts & Cooking, etc etc) so you can stick to your sub-group or hang out in the main group or find your best ratio somewhere in between.

The best advice I can give you is to join up and join in - it's free, and if you don't enjoy it you can check out any time you want. Just like at a certain Hotel. In California.

Sure, you can check out anytime you like....but you can NEVER leave! ;)  **hugs Mother dear**

Just wanted to say hi to Sherper!  :biggrin: 

Hahahah Sherper that's why you hang out with us Warders!!!!

*Stuffs Fnorrll inside a tea cozy and sits on him*

Hey, does anyone know where all of Gray's tea cozies keep disappearing off to? Oh. Found one.

What the... What?! UGH! Really, guys?! Geez. This is going to take forever to wash out. Probably stain too.

*wanders off muttering about how to remove Fnorrll from her tea cozy without getting her hands dirty*

*pokes her head back in*

Hi, Sherper. Sorry, I missed you the first time. Welcome!

We are more than a little wacky here, but it's okay. We have more fun that way. Lol! :biggrin:

Wow..........................just,.........wow. Sometimes i wonder why I am still here. Ya'll just are a bunch of whackadoos.

Hey Sherper! Welcome! You have any questions that hasn't already been covered here feel free to send me a PM where I will swiftly pass it on to Heart. After that I have no idea what happens.but good luck! Pleasure to make the acquaintance and look forward to seein ya around. If you stop in the Reds to say 'hi' the best way to butter them up is to ask about prettying. It's hysterical. Have fun!

Archived