DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New and hoping for friendly guidance!!!

S.aidar

Hi everyone! Can't actually believe I'm so obsessive about the WofT that I'm on here, this is a tinternet first for me! But hey I'm embracing it! Since my real name is Sarah Adair, I couldn't help but notice how close this is to Saidar, hence my username. Pretty damn happy and geeked out about that! I am the true source, mwahahaha. Anyhoo, enough self indulgence. Just wanted to ask other peoples face characters etc to start off with. I am only half way through the 3rd book so hoping I don't see too many spoilers. I'm also trying to read pretty slowly as I never want it to eeeeeennnddd!!! Are there any UK fan clubs? Think I,might get on the fan art flex too. I wish Wheel of Time was real! What a legend Jordan is!!! Xxx

Hello!!! Lol, I wish it was real too. Welcome to DM. Since you haven't read all of the books you might want to stay out of the discussion forums so the series is not spoiled for you. Check out the social groups. There is a role playing area as well. If you want to become an Aes Sedai or Warder the White Tower is the place to do that. Need any help or have any questions just ask. :-)

Thanks so much for getting back so quick! Yes def up for choosing an Ajah and a Warder, awww so exciting! Need to read up on the Ajahs. Swaying toward Green initially but I don't know enough about the others yet!

Head over to the White Tower then. You are at first an initiate and take a class then when you are finished you can choose a path. I came here thinking I would be one Ajah and yet chose a different one. One of the things you will do is explore all of the Ajahs before you make a choice.

I'll watch for you over there. You can ask questions here or shoot me a PM.

Heya  :biggrin:

S.aider...cool name and cool coincidence lovely!

All the social groups are awesome and have the own special little thing that makes them different but if you have your heart set on becoming an Aes Sedai I know the White Tower and myself (who is rocking out the title of Mistress of Novices) will be overjoyed to have you  :biggrin:

Though, you spend a bit of time as initiate there and getting to grips with all the sub boards and you have the choice to become an Aes Sedai ooooor a Warder - who are such an infinitely badass and fun group you might feel at home there as well  :tongue:

Poke around all the social groups at DM and I hope I see you in the White Tower  :happy:

So fun, thanks mistress of novices! I see you chose the brown Ajah! I am very interested in learning about the grey and white ajahs in particular as I know little about them but I probably suit the blue best. I look forward to seeing what it's all about when I get a chance!! X

Ahh awesome, well have submitted the form so looking forward to the next step. Was surprised to discover an Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah was Amyrlin actually! How often does it change round? Meaning no, , just pure curiosity of how it all works! How many active members do there tend to be at any one time? X

Well, if you've submitted the form would you mind reading the WT/Warders 101 thread and posting that you've understood it (if you do understand it...obv  :tongue: ) then we can get you set up.

And yes, Mother Elgee is pretty freaking awesome and a feisty opinionated Red sister to boot  :tongue: I thiiiink there has been three Amyrlins so far and currently there are about 100 or so active members. I think. Roughly :laugh:  

So yeah, it's been pointed out but I'd stay clear (or at least be cautious) of the discussion groups until you are done with the books (or at least most of the way through).  The social groups are a great place to hang out with other fans and get to know us.  Each group has a main theme and you can join as few or as many as you would like.  The two I am currently a member of are the Black Tower (Spammy goodness and some pretty random stuff) and the Band of the Red Hand (Music, Movies, The Arts and reviews) but each of the other groups has cool stuff that may interest you so be sure to check them all out and see which one(s) fit.

Hi welcome!

Glad to see you are jumping into join us! And you seem to have good taste in ajah's ( not at all biased!) :D

Seems like with your name you were destined to be a Wheel of Time fan, LOL!

Thanks for the advice Nikon, yes I am trying to be as cautious as possible to avoid spoiling any of the story. Pretty good at turning a blind eye so I'm sure all will be fine. Going to start off with the Aes Sedai initiation stuff. Got enough blah blah blah to deal with at home with all my housemates being such film buffs so,I'll steer clear of the reviewsy type stuff!! What else do you recommend Nikon? :o)

Hi Elaevia, very pretty name, do you mind if I ask where from? And I see you're in Cardiff, always nice to chat to another Brit!

Thank you, this was my thinking too, and a massive fan I have become! Never been one for social communities but I figured The Wheel of Time is so epically cool that surely other fans must be pretty cool too, ha! Besides, my only friend reading the series currently is still only on the first book and I need more than that!

So how long have you been grey ajah? I know very, very little about the grey, which makes me very interested to learn! Have you a ranking of any kind? Also, I don't know when or how I start with the initiate lessons. I received a nice email from the Mistress of Novices today but not sure if I have full access set yet for whatever it is that has to be set!! Hope that makes sense, apologies for the waffling! X

No apologies needed! Waffle is good!

There are quite a few Brits around here, so we are in good company! I am originally from Kent, but moved to Cardiff for uni and never moved back! ( which I think my mum is secretly pleased with to get me out of her hair!) :D

I joined here for the same reasons as you, no one I know reads the books and I was soooo desperate to have some people to talk to about this!

When you get the your access for the White Tower you will see some boards that are now hidden to you (shouldn't be too long!) once you have that access there will a couple of further info threads which will guide you though how the group works, and what to do.

While you are waiting please hang out on the main board and the Tar Valon board, if you still have queries after your access is sorted feel free to pm me!

Basically though you start as an aspirant, and your first rank is 'initiate', then choose your path, whether Warer or Aes Sedai. The you are a novice or algai if you choose warders, and rank up to accepted/ manishma and finally aes Sedai / der'manishma. How do you do this? Mainly just through participation in the group, fairly straight forward! :) each Ajah ( and the three warder disciplines) has a head, and deputies, and some have other postitions like aspirants liaisons. If you were asking about my ranking personally I am full Aes Sedai, but no special position.

I have been a Gray since April - once you get your access come and say hi! The ajahs are inspired by the book ajahs, but adapted to what works in the social group, so each has a different feel.

And please feel free to call me Via, much easyer than all those e's I decided on, lol.

Oh, and as I'm sure you have seen there are lots of other social groups as well as the white tower / warders. They all have their own theme and feel, though you might not 'get' all of them yet as some are inspired by later events In The books, but please join as many as you are comfortable with, they are all great! :)

Hi again Via, you are certainly prompt to reply, which is wicked, such friendlies here! Thanks for all the info, it is slowly starting to all make sense in my head, quite a lot to take in but I'll get there. I have t be careful which threads I click on what with being s early on with the books. May I ask, did you think you would join the grey before being Accepted, how did it come about? Also, what did you study at Cardiff? I'm always nosey about people's degrees! I studied Bsc Applied Ecology and Conservation at Reading Uni if that makes it less nosey! I'm looking forward to getting to the stage of bonding with a Warder. This is one of my favourite ideas explored in the books. The unconditional bonding and sacrifice of the Warder for the Aes Sedai...tis so pure and lovely. That's a pretty cool premise for friendship in this whole crazy fantasy land too I suppose! x

Don't worry, it took me a while to get the hang of things, and where all the various boards are and stuff! I'm sure it will start to make sense once you can get in and actually see what's going on!

For me, I thought I would be Gray from almost the beginning! I of course looked at all the ajahs, but the Gray is one I felt the most affinity for from the beginning. Here the Gray is not really about mediation and negotiation, but offering a comfortable and peaceful place to hang out. In general Grays have hobbies that are creative, tend to like baking / cooking and volunteering. Of course those aren't requirements, but just to give you a flavour!

Some people will know sooner that others where they would like to end up, there is no set timescale and no one will rush you!

I studied Pharmacy! I really like 'knowing' how things work, learning for the sake of it if you like ( that's my Brown streak coming out!). Unfortunately I was I the third year before I realised I didn't want to be a pharmacist, so didn't complete the course, but don't regret a moment, as it was a great experience and I would have met my other half without it! I am now a civil servant, a world away from where I thought I'd be 10 years ago!

And re prompt responses: the great thing about this site is that there are members from all over the world, so there are always people about. But I probably spend waaaaaay too much time on here, lol! :)

Shouldn't be too long before you get access lovely!

And I felt really overwhelmed when I first joined too but the WT/DM class helps with that a lot. That's on the hidden boards you should see them soon.

I'm from Glasgow, Scotland myself and have a degree in genetics which I will happily go on about whenever someone shows the slightest amount of interest, ha!

And don't lock down your path/ajah yet my love...all is not what it seems in our Tower, I think it will surprise you :D

Happy to hear you are happy where you are in life Via! What does being a civil servant involve? I have never quite understood that title. Yes, shall google that one! The Grey Ajah sounds fantastic...I am famous amongst my friends for my baking! Though there would have to be more in it than that to get me choosing Grey! Oh I can't wait! Oh and Via, I have already spent a way too unhealthy amount of time on this forum...haven't had much time for much else! Almost as addictive as the novels! :o)

Thank you Mistress of Novices!! I avidly await my acceptance to the privileged White Tower boards! And fantastic! I had a couple of Genetics models on my degree, it being mainly zoological and biological. I will happily discuss Genetics with you! Did you end up working in something related to your course? And I promise to not be too hasty when making my ajah decisions. I really want to get it right! But I have wide interests in many of them....except the pooey reds! No offence Elgee!! You have changed the face of the Red Ajah somewhat! But any affiliation to Liandrin makes my blood boil. So can't wait to see her suffer! Hope it happens soon!!

xx

'civil servant' is a catch all term for anybody working in any government department really. It's quite a vague description actually now I come to think of it, as there are many different roles that it could apply to. I once saw a job advertised within the civil service for a 'seasonal bee keeper' - I thought that was an awesome job title to have!

I don't have an exciting job title like that though, just fairly normal office work and phone answering sorta stuff.

There are a lot of different aspects to the ajahs that I'm sure you'll have fun exploring! And please be open to the warder path as well, there are female warders and male aes dedai here! It's all about where you feel you fit and be comfortable, really! (I'm sure you will though, can't wait to see you within the tower! )

What are you up to at the moment? Studying? Working?

Morning Via, I work as a PA in London for a very nice chap. It's a pretty great job, my boss is kind and generous. Doesn't mind me faffing around on here all day! I want to do a masters degree next year though. Xx

Archived