DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The official Black Tower Doctor Who fan thread

mcs0083

That's a valid point Basel. I always thought it was just Tom Baker's natural poise and elegance but when we were RPing the Doctor as kids the scarf always got caught on something and there's plenty of times where I almost garroted myself wearing it. It's also hot and uncomfortable.

I also thought the scarf must be made from Alpaca wool because the wool is lightweight and soft therefore able to swirl around freely. Still it is a heavy and cumbersome garment must be so hot under the clieg light.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can have two favourites you know.

You don't have to throw out the old for the new.

That may be the case, Maddy. But I'm only on the First Doctor in my first watch of the original show. So far I don't have any others to compare him to with the old ones. And he seems like a crotchety, irritable old man.

Yes Basel he is the least favourite doctor of mine too. He seemed a crotchety old man to me as well.

I started watching it from the Tom Baker's era so I was lucky in that I wasn't put off straight away by the earlier character's age, considering I was only a child then.

Imagine if I was. All that hours of fun pretending to be the doctor would never happen. I would also would not watch the newer episodes, never have a crush on Tennant. Doesn't bear thinking about really.

And I was always the doctor. Is the prerogative of being the eldest :P

That's something I don't know I could deal with, Maddy. I seriously considered starting the old show with the Third or Fourth Doctor, but the OCD part of me just wouldn't allow me to do it in anything but chronological order. I'm treating the old and the new as two separate shows in terms of watching them in order, but otherwise I'm only making exceptions for episodes that aren't available for one reason or another.

Yeah well the ABC programmers of my youth were incredibly whimsical. They never seem to show the seasons in order. I think they did it by whose doing the programming favourite doctor because after watching Tom Baker we'd be onto the first doctor and then after that the third doctor and so on. Vair confusing.

I got majorly baffled most of the time and only since the newer episode have I been able to see how regeneration actually works. For a long time I just thought that they're the same character but we were meant to suspend disbelief completely by their dramatically changing appearance and pretend that no really the doctor still looks the same. It requires a lot of complex thinking let me tell you.

Something I have been wondering... David Tennant and Rose are both confirmed as coming back for the anniversary special. Has it been conclusively announced that he will be coming back as the Tenth Doctor? Or could he be playing that clone of himself?

this article sort of implies that he plays the doctor... it may be spoilery but I'm not quite following it and they don't quite say...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-david-tennant-warns-2109647

this part isn't too spoilery tho

WENN

Doctor Who star David Tennant has warned fans that his Time Lord character in the show’s 50th anniversary special episode may seem “slightly different”.

Speaking to SFX, the Tenth Doctor actor revealed that working alongside his sci-fi successor Matt Smith has provided him with “fresh challenges” in revisiting the role that won him four National Television Awards.

"The Doctor tends to lead every scene he is in and when you are sharing that out it becomes slightly different," the 42-year-old explained.

"You have a new relationship with that aspect of the character and that gives you fresh challenges to work on."

The Broadchurch star added that he was not "surprised" to be asked back for the anniversary celebration, scheduled to air across the world on November 23.

"There is a precedent to this, isn't there?" he said.

"For a long time I was starting to think it was never going to happen, so there was an element of surprise there. But the general concept [of a story involving multiple Doctors] was something I always expected."

Archived