DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reading Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight at the same time

HeadlessLover

So I finished Path of Daggers last night, and so obviously I want to get the next book, but I've researched into Winter's Heart a little bit, and the description on wikipedia says that the two books take place at the same time. In ASoIaF, the two most recent books, A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, take place at the same time, so fans had made a list of chapters in both books that follow consecutive order, so you could get both sets of characters instead of focusing on only one at a time. 

So, my question is: is there such a list for Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight, and is it worth reading the two books in that fashion on the first read through?

best to read in order of publication; you might miss something here or there. Some stuff does overlap, but there is also major plot development independent of each other. If anything, I'd say simply skim through all the Perrin/Faile chapters in those books, it's considered by many to be the mid-series drag. Also, the Mat scenes are a bit of a drag up until KoD; some significant plot development but also some useless filler.

These are the best available timelines for WH and CoT:

http://www.sevenspokes.com/chronology/3rd-ne-v09-wh.html

http://www.sevenspokes.com/chronology/3rd-ne-v10-cot.html

There is also a lot of overlap between TGS and ToM, e.g. there is a scene with Rand at the end of TGS which Perrin is a witness to, but we only see him witnessing it half way through ToM.  There isn't a good chronology for ToM, however, as the timeline is very confusing, and there seem to be some mistakes in some of the timings, e.g. one character in two places at once.

Archived