DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Newsroom Season Two

John E. Kelley

Has been okay through the first two episodes, glad to see that Maggie and Don have split up. My main question is, was this whole Operation Genoa thing a plot device created by Sorkin? Or is this a real news story? I haven't heard about it before and you'd think that a legitimate story like that would be huge.

haven't watched episode two yet,  Dexter & Falling Skies takes preceent before this show :wink:

but heres the fact check blog that goes with this show :)

http://www.newsroomfactcheck.com/

i'm very interested to see how they cover the Bengahzi scandle, IRS scandle, Treyvon Martin stuff, National Elections, Voter ID, Project Gunrunner and Occupy Wallstreet. among other things i know i'm leaving out.

relaly though, this show feels like its just too far behind from when it last aired ....  was the show only gone for a year, or are they plot wise really 2 years behind us?

According to Red's blog

First thing first, since we know few details of Operation Genoa at this point, I will simply state that there is no special operation carried out by the United States military by that name that has been revealed to date. The use of nerve gas is at issue here. There is nothing in the timeline of The Newsroom that fits this description, but back in 1998 CNN and Time reported on a Vietnam War special op dubbed Operation Tailwind. The reports alleged that U.S. forces used sarin gas to kill defectors to the enemy from the U.S. military. That is not just atrocious, it's unthinkable. This story was debunked and retracted about three weeks later. This could very easily be the basis for this storyline. Or maybe it isn't. The fact is, a major news outlet has erroneously reported the use of nerve agents by U.S. forces in the past and settled wrongful termination suits with the producers who ran the story.

Haven't watched episode 2 yet.

Supposedly this season was going to be fairer to the other side of the argument but my hopes are not high based on the first episode.

I've been pleased to see that even though the show's tone has remained anti-Conservative so far this season, Will's character hasn't. He himself is showing some signs of sanity anyway. But this was only episode two so I expect his implosion to come shortly.

Just watched episode 2. The show is very slightly better but Will is clearly a straw Republican.

He practically hates himself for defending a Republican point of view.

Don't get me wrong, being a straw Republican is better than what we saw last season where he wasn't acting like any kind of Republican.

But the change is so small it barely matters.

well the problem is that, the show pretends to be unbiased in name by having the main actor play a "Republican", when he's a progressive republican and what the show would really need to be unbiased is a CONSERVATIVE.  which Will is clearly not.

there is a big difference between Republican and Conservative; and Republicans in todays party are no more than Democratic-light.

so really, there is only one point of veiw being expressed in this show, the liberal point of veiw.  Will is just the McCain/Romney liberal point of view.

they shoudl also touch on Prop-8 in this season maybe even the person hood amendments and Arizona's immigration law as well iirc.   though the SCOTUS ruling for prop-8 and DOMA wont happen until next season, depending on how long they take with the election; which imo will be the focus of this season.

• Community Administrator

Will is just the McCain/Romney liberal point of view.

LOL.

Sorry, I just figured that McCain/Romney were at say.. 6 points to the right, and WIll was closer to -2 points left. :wink:

I would settle for Will playing a believable Republican over a Conservative.

Also, one thing I want to note that I forgot last post.

I really like how they had the bus guy basically say "FU" to Jim for the tea party comments.

I have no love for the tea party but it really did let the bitterness right wing people feel over how they are treated by the media which is predominately left come through on the show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bad episode on Sunday imo. Too unfocused. Or, well it was focused in a different way than previous episodes.

Normally the show follows one or two stories and one or two characters for the episode with a few side things here and there.

This episode followed a full night of News Night and tried to show you what everyone was doing. It felt scattered to me but maybe others like the broader perspective.

By the way does anyone else find it funny that the only people who seem to be following this show on this forum are right wing?

What's wrong with us? Are we masochists or something?

lol Nol, its called knowing your enemy  :wink:   j/k

i'm so back logged on this show it aint funny.  and now with Breaking Bad starting up i have a feelign i'm just going to do a mass watch through once the season is done  :laugh:

perhaps i'll try to catch up on it this weekand ... :unsure:

FYI: The Genoa thing is based on a real story that happened to CNN about a report about Project Tailwind. Assuming this season will follow the same arc as the real story, the following will probably be a spoiler for things yet to happen, but they might change things up:

CNN reported Saren was used in an extraction mission from Laos which turned out to be untrue according to a Pentagon investigation and their source of info, who seemed credible enough, was 86 and living in medical care. There was no proof other than this one's guys testimony and he was probably senile. There had been reports of Tear Gas used during the operation, but not Saren. Big difference. In any case, big lawsuit. CNN conducted an investigation internally and decided that the report was flawed and retracted it and issued apologies around the board. The main producers behind the story stood by it and were fired, then sued CNN for wrongful termination, then the executives who fired them didn't stick around the network too long either. Not sure if they were fired or if they chose to move on... or "chose" to move on.

In any case, if things proceed on this same path, and it appears they are judging by the lawyer interviewing everyone about Genoa, the end of this season is ripe for drama.

I agree the recent episode wasn't as focused, but interestingly the format was a bit different too. It all occured within the 1 Hour news segment in which Will is on the air, effectively making the episode happen in real time. So it might have been disjointed and the pacing weird, but I think it might have been a bit intentional with the format of the episode. We usually only see the hallmark moments of Will's broadcasts, but we see what the whole newsroom is up to during this time. That's why half the episode had Jim standing over Maggie's desk while they downloaded something for half the episode.

And I thought Maggie cut her hair when she got back... I guess that happens later?

• 2 weeks later...

It was a good episode in that we finally got to see Genoa get airtime and then fall apart.

I have absolutely no idea where the show is going to go from here though considering the season isn't over.

Disappointed Benghazi didn't get much attention due to being overshadowed by Genoa but was amused that it echoed real life in that aspect.

Not that Benghazi was overshadowed necessarily but the reporting on the incident was shoddy and sparse for a long time, at best.

I guess we'll be moving on to the election next episode?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived