DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just wondering

Will al Seen

Ok. You know how sometimes, to protect themselves from getting wet in the rain, aes sedai/asha'man will use that weave that makes a sort of force field around them?, well would that " force field " also protect hem from, say and arrow or the swing of a sword, any kind of blow at them besides anything with the Power? Anyone know anything about that?

Yeah that and the big dome Rand made when he was fighting with Lanfear on the docks. Those were stationary though vs a shield that moved with the person. I've wondered about that too.

I would assume it would work the same. If it stops rain drops which are matter then it should stop anything else physical unless it has a breaking point that is exceeded by the amount of force being applied.

There are three instances we know in the books where shields were made to protect against the One Power.

(LOC Dumai Wells) The Ashaman created a dome to shield themselves from attacks by the Shaiso Wise Ones

(WH With the Choedan Kal) Cadsuane weaves a shield to protect the channelers from attack by the Forskaken

(KOD The Last Knot) The Wise Ones with Perrin use the One Power to protect against attacks by the Shaido Wise Ones.

Guest Wynne Jessal
There are three instances we know in the books where shields were made to protect against the One Power.

(LOC Dumai Wells) The Ashaman created a dome to shield themselves from attacks by the Shaiso Wise Ones

(WH With the Choedan Kal) Cadsuane weaves a shield to protect the channelers from attack by the Forskaken

(KOD The Last Knot) The Wise Ones with Perrin use the One Power to protect against attacks by the Shaido Wise Ones.

You're forgetting the one someone just said above' date=' from TPoD, at the end where Rand was attacked by the Asha'man in Cairhien. He said it would keep out anything short of balefire (and also kept out air).[/color']

Seems like there must be some limitation about how strong a movable shield can be. Maybe a shield rigid enough to deflect arrows cannot move as easily as one that just deflects rain.

If there is no limitation, then everyone is stupid if they do not walk into battle wearing "air armor." Could even weave it around others and tie off the weaves. RJ would have to include some type of limitation or we would have battalions of soldiers that are immune to anything except balefire.

There are already limitaions to the shields. Can a soldier have a shield tied to him & still be able to use a sword or bow in battle? If nothing can get in nothing can get out either. Also we have the example of the invisibility weave that Rand ties to Egwene in LOC that shows that moving while you have a weave tied to you disturbs the weave. I suppose it would be possible to tie several weaves of air to someone the same way you would wear plate mail armour, with specific body parts covered by the shield. Protection in exchange for mobility.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, or maybe I skipped a sentance in the book when it was talking about the "Umbrella weave", but I dont remember him saying that it was a flow of air. I always assumed that it was a ward set to keep moisture out.

Eh, who knows.

Also want about the shield that Rand uses in tPoD when attacked by owhatishisname'gar in the Sun Palace. That was made out of air and kept everything out but balefire. Only problem was that it kept air out too.

owhatishisname'gar... I like :lol:

As for the shield of air or what ever, I think it is limited to power of the person. Rand is one of the strongest channelers, so maybe his weave can be strengthed to do what is needed, with more the shield can grow (Dumani Wells) however, remember that is will keep air out as well, so pretty much, its a give and take thing, you're protect but you cant breath.

Guest Wynne Jessal

From TPoD, "A Cup of Sleep":

Dashiva channeled, and with no time to think, Rand wove — as so often, he did not know what; something dredged from Lews Therin's memories; he was not even sure he created the weave entirely himself, or whether Lews Therin snatched at saidin — Air and Fire and Earth woven around himself just so. The fire that leaped from Dashiva erupted, shattering marble, flinging Rand back down the hallway, bounding and rolling in his cocoon.

That barrier would keep out anything short of balefire. Including air to breathe. Rand released it panting, scraping along the floor, with the crash of the explosions still ringing in the air, dust still hanging and bits of broken marble tumbling. As much as for breath, though, he let it go because what could keep the Power out, kept it in.

Archived