DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Drizzt Do'Urden

ratswot

• Community Administrator

Read the dark elf trilogy back in the day. (got it as an x-mas present)

Picked up and read every single one that's been published, and I like them all.

How far have you got into the series? Because I find the last 3-6 books, have changed a lot of things about Drizzt, and  his character Development.

(note, since most of the books are sub 300 pages, they've got nothing on wot, so I plowed through 30? 40? 50? in about 2 months. lol)

Read the dark elf trilogy back in the day. (got it as an x-mas present)

Picked up and read every single one that's been published, and I like them all.

How far have you got into the series? Because I find the last 3-6 books, have changed a lot of things about Drizzt, and  his character Development.

(note, since most of the books are sub 300 pages, they've got nothing on wot, so I plowed through 30? 40? 50? in about 2 months. lol)

I've read all the books up to the Ghost King. Of the lot I liked the Dark Elf Trilogy the best.

I agree they are very simple but fun reads.

i read a few, but got bored with all the heroes miraculously escaping certain death time and time again.  :ph34r: Still a fun and entertaining read, but nothing on the worldbuilding of Tolkien or RJ.

Yeah, there isn't much of a world in the Drizzt books. When you read about Drizzt just know one thing, he is going to kick some serious ass.

I read the original trilogy back in grade school, I guess it is ok for something in a D&D shared world setting(which isn't saying much mind). I mean but really, when Salvatore  writes things like the below I'm not sure how anyone can read it with a straight face.

The second pie Jarlaxle threw came in harder, and was not meant to be caught—except by the man’s surprised expression.
“What?” the woman yelled as the pie splattered across her lover’s face, and he gave a yell, as well, but one of pain.
“Jarlaxle, what are you about?” Piter demanded.

“I am killed!” the surprised man cried. He slapped at his face, sending cream flying and eventually revealing a small dart that had been concealed within the pie, protruding from his cheek. He reached for it, hands trembling, but he couldn’t quite seem to grasp it.

"I am killed.
I mean who the hell says this.

He is killed... by a dart...hidden in a pie."

There is just far too much well written fantasy out there these days. IMO stick to Bakker, Abercrombie, Lynch etc.

"I am killed.

There is just far too much well written fantasy out there these days. IMO stick to Bakker, Abercrombie, Lynch etc.

The problem here is with the reader! ;-)

"I am killed.

The problem here is with the reader! ;-)

Damn good for nothing lit degree! :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

It was a fun series, but to me, it is childish fantasy, and he is far less interesting since Cattie Bree, Regis, an Wulfgar are gone. Even Bruenor and Drizzt's quest for Gauntylgrym was boring compared to the earliest novels of his escape from Menzoberranzan, to his adventures with the gang, up to the spell plague that destroyed the Forgotten Realms setting, IMO. Before that, it was one of my favorite settings from TSR (before WotC butchered D&D), and I had used it for a 3 year campaign of AD&D (yes, we still play the best version, 2nd edition).

The Icewind Dale Trilogy is good fun, though carried more along by enthusiasm than talent. The Dark Elf Trilogy is surprisingly good and well-developed. The Legacy trilogy is fine, but they should have stopped at Siege of Darkness, which is where Salvatore planned to kill Drizzt off. TSR threw a fit and took the character off him and threatened to give it to another writer, so Salvatore caved and came back to write Passage to Dawn, a bafflingly pointless novel. The Drizzt books I've read since then have been cheerfully terrible. Clearly Salvatore stopped caring as a writer, and I stopped caring as a reader.

Those first nine books though are perfectly acceptable, lower-tier, popcorn fantasy with occasionally pretty good moments.

Seriously, once TSR sold the franchise, that was the end of D&D.

TSR never sold the franchise. They went bust because they'd mishandled it so badly and WotC stepped in and saved them by buying the company. They went on to turn D&D into a monstrous success story for almost a decade, before throwing it all away with the terrible, terrible 4th Edition of the game.

• 6 months later...
  • Community Administrator

It was a fun series, but to me, it is childish fantasy, and he is far less interesting since Cattie Bree, Regis, an Wulfgar are gone. Even Bruenor and Drizzt's quest for Gauntylgrym was boring compared to the earliest novels of his escape from Menzoberranzan, to his adventures with the gang, up to the spell plague that destroyed the Forgotten Realms setting, IMO. Before that, it was one of my favorite settings from TSR (before WotC butchered D&D), and I had used it for a 3 year campaign of AD&D (yes, we still play the best version, 2nd edition).

So umm yea.. Later books get a lot better IMO. The last 4 books were all about character growth. And ironically, things got a whole lot more interesting lately. ^_^

Also, Gauntylgrym was epic.

7 foot tall Bruenor in god mode, with a shield that dispenses Mugs of beer that never run out, and buff you with increased speed, stamina and strength..

Truly, a dwarven god he was! :biggrin:

An woman gave birth to a baby.. The baby screamed "TEMPUS!". The midwife, promptly killed the baby"

Archived