DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

July Discussion - Travel

Davrick

I've always wanted to see the Fringe fest. 

Travelling should be mandatory, abroad. There is something about being in another country that opens your mind, fills in the blank spaces on the map for you. The world becomes a little bit smaller, and you suddenly have gained some perspective on things without even really trying, provided you aren't a complete bullish oaf. Even just watching the traffic flow in a foreign country can open you up to new ideas. It's the sum of the little things that make us, but most of all you see that everyone is just a person, making their way. 

You feel more connected to the world. So you could say I tend to immerse myself in the culture heh.

My travels have taken me to NZ a couple of times when I was younger, all around Australia during my 20's, and twice to the US, once as a teenager for the better part of a year, and later to Vegas on a holiday.

Also to Greece. That place was paradise. Island life, lazy iced coffees by the beach, temperate waters and everything just a walk away. Give me that. All of that.

I think you can discover new things locally too, though. One of my favorite things to do is just go for a walk, maybe drive to a reserve and see what's what. I find it interesting to see familiar things in a new light, so going to a lookout you've always known about but never visited can be interesting.

My next trip is to the UK. Europe. All of that. Big Money $tyle. Talk crap with the locals and adopt the accent 3 microseconds after landing. Earnestly Smile my way across the continent.

I love traveling! I just got back from Scotland last night and absolutely loved it. :smile: Going to Northern England in a couple of weeks and then back home for a month :biggrin:

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts in Scotland did you go?

Inverness (from which we did a couple of day trips to Urquhart Castle (speling?) and the beach in Nairn.) and Edinburgh, although a lot of the time spent there we were at a music festival (T in the Park). We obviously picked the best time to go as the UK is currently having an almost record-breaking heat wave, for those who don't know :wink:

Come back to Edinburgh for the Fringe festival this year. What did you think of Inverness? I'm thinking of going up to the highlands in late September and am scouting out places/hotels to visit. 

Can't this year but I'd love to make the trip sometime soon!

Inverness is nice, quiet, small but enough places to get food and drink. Best thing to do were day trips around the city to the various sites (beaches, castles). It had a nice, calm feel to it and is really good size for walking around and seeing everything. I'd recommend figuring out in advance what you'd like to see and visit before going but definitely enjoyed my time there.

Travelling should be mandatory, abroad. There is something about being in another country that opens your mind, fills in the blank spaces on the map for you. The world becomes a little bit smaller, and you suddenly have gained some perspective on things without even really trying, provided you aren't a complete bullish oaf. Even just watching the traffic flow in a foreign country can open you up to new ideas. It's the sum of the little things that make us, but most of all you see that everyone is just a person, making their way. 

You feel more connected to the world. So you could say I tend to immerse myself in the culture heh.

I think you can discover new things locally too, though. One of my favorite things to do is just go for a walk, maybe drive to a reserve and see what's what. I find it interesting to see familiar things in a new light, so going to a lookout you've always known about but never visited can be interesting.

This, so much this. Especially the first part. Travelling is the number one weapon against ignorance. It truly should be mandatory.

Also like that last line. You always take a lot for granted living somewhere, and you only really visit things when showing someone else around. It's a shame though because there's often so much to discover right at home.

I love traveling, especially to destinations off the beaten path.

I also like to go to places that I've read about. Meeting new people, seeing things from different angle and experiencing different ways of being human.

I like to start with someone that I trust until I find my comfort zone, then go off on my own exploration. I think that when you travel on your own you are more likely to meet more people and experience more as the result. Get out of your comfort zone a bit and places looks more exciting than it is for the locals probably and your enthusiasism tend to infect them to see their backyard in new light.

The best thing about traveling for me is the coming home. A place where I hang my hat.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived