DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

July Discussion - Travel

Davrick

When I was younger and summer came around that usually meant two things to me.  One is a break from school, the other would be the trip my family would take that summer.  We would pile into our RV and drive across the country to visit new places that I have not seen.  My most memorable trip was when we drove to California.  I got to see so many things on the trip there and back.

Since it is well into summer and a lot of people travel during the summer, I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone has to say about their traveling experiences.  Our guest mod is Jeannaisais.  She is a member of the WT as a member of the Brown Ajah and is also the Marshal-General of the BotRH.  She has been active since 2004-2005 and discovered Wot by browsing through her fathers books in his office one night.  She found DM though a friend of hers and has been hooked ever since! :laugh:

I normally take one weekend a year to attend a gathering of internet friends. In the past it has been friends from another site. This year it was J-Con. The last few years, I have spent Thanksgiving in the Charlotte area since my sister moved to North Carolina for her hubby's job. It's been interesting down there.

it was fun to travel when I wasn't alone or at least not scary and anxious and uncomfortable. I remember enjoying lots of things about it.

not new ppl much but beaches and mountains and cabins and carnival rides and kettle corn, wild ponies, hammocks, little towns to be naughty in with a girlfriend when i was young...strange trees and animals and boats on the north atlantic or off florida or the carribean and ... I'd always go with my stepdad doing the arranging or my mom or a BF.

I don't like to go alone. very much.

is that just me?

is that a gender thing or just a personal weirdness?

Europe was great. So much history there. Versailles and Stonehenge were the most impressive. Also, seeing 6 extremely famous physicists all together at Westminster Abbey was very personally gratifying. Dirac's engraving even has a little Dirac equation on it :)

So ... travel. Something I did a lot more of when I was younger and something I plan to do more of when I am older. I'm going through an inbetweeny phase atm - due to not wanting to take small people on plane flights.

Of course it is easier to travel to foreign places when you live in England. We have another country and principality attached to us and the rest of europe is only 28 miles away ish.

I've been to Romania ski-ing, and France (Normandy and Carcassonne regions and Paris), Rome, Barcelona, The Gold coast of spain too.

Actually that was my first solo holiday abroad and involved a really long coach journey with no air conditioning and apparently an AWFUL hotel but I didn't care because I was abroad on holiday and it was brilliant.

Just don't ask about the Sangria Fountain on the Flamenco Dancing Spectacular night out. I was quite merry by the end of the evening.

And then you grow up a bit and get more money and suddently 1 star hotels aren't good enough lol.

So other places I have visited.

Erm ... Israel, Malta, Lanzerote, Australia's East Coast from Cairns down to Sydney. And let me tell you - standing up and making your self look BIG when a dingo is surrounding you does not work at all.

Lots of stories about Australia.

And Amsterdam also - with a very crazy game of Chess. Oh and Tunisia - to see all the Star Wars Stuff :biggrin:

And probably other places that I can't remember atm and ALL the places that I've visited here in the UK.

So ... is travelling something you do to experience other cultures? For me I am a Tourist and I like to see things. Some of my friends are more Travellers - who like to immerse themselves more and get to know people and stuff. Which one would you be?

And is travelling something you have to do elsewhere, or does finding new things closer to home also count?

And where does everyone most want to go in the future? I really really want to go to Japan, and also China, because I think they are the most like going to a different world I could ever experience.

I usually like travelling around India. The only place I visited outside India was Hong Kong and Macao(and picked up how to read and write entry and exit in Cantonese). I would have loved travelling more if I didn't survive on coffee on travels.

I travel to see new things, meet new people and learn new things. When I was younger I wanted to see things, especially historical places, churches, castles etc. Now I´m more interested to be in another place and "feel" it and  experience things that I´m not used to. 

I have been to Denmark, Norway, Finland, England, Scotland, France and USA. Also I have travelled some in Sweden. I wish I could afford to travel more. There are so many places I want to go to. I haven´t been to the northen or south parts of Sweden.  I will just have to wait for winning the lottery. :)

My dream is still to go to Iceland. Many dream about going to USA. I was never interested in going there. Then my sister moved there and we visited her. It was great to see California. After that I felt like I was done with USA. But then I decided to go to JordanCon. Not because it´s in USA but because that is where I would meet my friends. Now I want to go back to USA. Weird that it took me two trips to make me want to go back. I would of course like to go to Boston but also visit other places. Would love to visit Canada as well. 

I would love to travel more with my family. We have only been to a few vacations together since we rarely have enough money. This year I chose to travel alone instead. Both kids would like to go somewhere where it´s sunny or go to London to see the Harry Potter studio. 

Tourist or traveler? somewhere in the middle. leaning one way or the other depending on the destination I think. There are some places that are just kind of check off the list things. Famous places like Eiffel Tower or pyramids or Empire State Building. Not really there to become a New Yorker or an Egyptian.  There are layers of immersion into the culture you visit. I think it depends on how long you are there and how much interaction you plan on having with the locals. If you are just going for the nice beach and colourful drinks then no real need to get too involved. If you going to learn about a group of people, say part of your own heritage then you are more likely to try to immerse yourself more deeply.

I've been to most of the countries around the Med from when I was in the Navy. Also a few other places along the way. I would like to go to the Far East and Australia. Some of the islands of the South Pacific would be nice too. Oh and back to England too. I  had a terrific time when I was there.

I don't travel too far or often but I have had a few memorible trips. My parents and I have been to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico two or three times and have gone to the not so modern island off the coast from there, the film location (now restraunt) of Preditors, and on a pirate themed cruise around the bay.

While those vacations were fun I look forward to my yearly trips to LA more since I get to experiance Anime Expo and Little Tokyo plus get away from the monotony of everyday life here in my hometown.  While on my most recent trip, which I just got back from late last night, I got to see a small tanabata festival tree which you'll likely hear a little more about soon enough.

I love traveling! I just got back from Scotland last night and absolutely loved it. :smile: Going to Northern England in a couple of weeks and then back home for a month :biggrin:

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts in Scotland did you go?

Inverness (from which we did a couple of day trips to Urquhart Castle (speling?) and the beach in Nairn.) and Edinburgh, although a lot of the time spent there we were at a music festival (T in the Park). We obviously picked the best time to go as the UK is currently having an almost record-breaking heat wave, for those who don't know :wink:

I've moved from place to place since I was born. Belgium, Malaysia, Greece, UK, Germany, Singapore, Indonesia, France. Travelling around and absorbing yourself in a new culture is one of the most fascinating things in the world to me. For places I have been I think I cover most of Europe and most of South East Asia. A few years ago we went along the east coast of America. Dying to go to South America, Australia and Japan. I might try looking for a job or do some volunteering in SA in order to get there, but I think next summer will be going back to Asia since it's been a while since I've seen the place.

I love traveling! I just got back from Scotland last night and absolutely loved it. :smile: Going to Northern England in a couple of weeks and then back home for a month :biggrin:

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts in Scotland did you go?

Inverness (from which we did a couple of day trips to Urquhart Castle (speling?) and the beach in Nairn.) and Edinburgh, although a lot of the time spent there we were at a music festival (T in the Park). We obviously picked the best time to go as the UK is currently having an almost record-breaking heat wave, for those who don't know :wink:

Come back to Edinburgh for the Fringe festival this year. What did you think of Inverness? I'm thinking of going up to the highlands in late September and am scouting out places/hotels to visit. 

Archived