DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Was Wheel of Time the first fantasy series where the main character tackles insanity?

Coz madness pops up a lot in quite a few of the series I've read, both in characters and as a theme. For instance...

Feists Magician- Thomas has to deal with the dragonlord inside him.

Wars of Light and Shadow - Lysaers curse driven madness which twists his virtue of justice into something vile

Song of Ice and Fire - The Targaryen madness due to incest seems to be a subversion of this archtype. Its admitted that some targaryens are very charismatic and great leaders like most heroic characters. I always thought Aegon was a lot like Rand coz of the two wives thing n you could argue Dany is Rand "with teats" to a certain extent. However, people are much more aware of the madness and actually act to kill the madman or don't take him seriously. Good examples being Aerys and Viserys who meet sticky ends. Joffery could also be seen as a subversion of the whole mad heroic character because hes just a little shit who beats small girls rather than this great inner conflict. This is in no way meant to imply that Daenerys is mad.

I am sure there are others as well. Madness seems to be a really popular thing in fantasy atm.

I'm kinda dissapointed that Rand isn't really "insane", because I always thought that Lews really is inside his head. (am I wrong about that)

If Lews was just a figment of his imagination then yeah, he'd be nuts, but compared to other maler chanellers he doesn't really seem to be suffering with insanity to the same extent that they are.

I'm kinda dissapointed that Rand isn't really "insane", because I always thought that Lews really is inside his head. (am I wrong about that)

If Lews was just a figment of his imagination then yeah, he'd be nuts, but compared to other maler chanellers he doesn't really seem to be suffering with insanity to the same extent that they are.

How far have you read? Its explained in Gathering Storm and the one before. 

Rand is actually going insane, no question about it.

Archived