DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Page dedicated entirely to describing a dress

I don't think there is a page focused on describing one single dress.  There are pages in CoT that describe a sequence of AS and what they are wearing, look like, personalities, etc., with very little action (I think in the prologue).

I don't know about a full page describing a dress but there were ten back to back pages describing toe nails and nail polish. From memory Elayne had red toe nails, Aviendha red, Egwene red, Min red, Moiraine red, Nynaeve red ... or was that yellow? I can't remember :-(

I don't know about a full page describing a dress but there were ten back to back pages describing toe nails and nail polish. From memory Elayne had red toe nails, Aviendha red, Egwene red, Min red, Moiraine red, Nynaeve red ... or was that yellow? I can't remember :-(

Do you remember in which book it was?

i think he's kidding you. I dont think there was any one page, but if you remove all mentions of skirt-smoothing, Aies Sedai bosom, dress descriptions and baths you could easily chop a thousand pages from the series  :ph34r:

Don't mock that scene, RJ was a master, Moraine's red nail polish (as opposed to her accustomed blue) foreshadowed her duel with Lanfear. Also Nynaeve's were green remember like those dresses she wore for Lan...

Was it maybe in New Spring when Moiraine and Siaun were buying new dresses after having passed their testing?  I don't have the books in front of me so I can't check but I do know there was some discussion about stripes and lace and color and how Moiraine knew the seamstress would get her and Siaun back (for disagreeing with her, I think) by giving Siaun lots of lace and making one or more of Moiraine's dresses a very, very pale blue.

Don't mock that scene, RJ was a master, Moraine's red nail polish (as opposed to her accustomed blue) foreshadowed her duel with Lanfear. Also Nynaeve's were green remember like those dresses she wore for Lan...

Indeed! :wink:

Indeed! :wink:

I know man, that level of detail and foreshadowing just got too tiring. How can anyone keep track! Thankfuly Brandon made things much easier and saved the series. Now we can enjoy the WoT setting with all the bluntness, hand holding and simplicity of Dungeons and Dragons. Strong prose...psshhh who needs it with gems like this.

"You're Aes Sedai," Mat said, shrugging. "I figured you . . . you know, saidared it."

:wink: 

Edited by Suttree

"You're Aes Sedai," Mat said, shrugging. "I figured you . . . you know, saidared it."

I don't care. I think that's a great line. And why wouldn't someone like Mat say that?

Saidar should totally become a verb.

I kinda feel stupid reading these books. Because with all the forshadowing and stuff it feels like I'm not allowed to read these books for fun or leisure, else I'll miss all the HIDDEN meanings.

I don't care. I think that's a great line.

It's cringe worthy and totally out of character. Even Brandon admitted he botched it:

BS

I didn't understand Mat. I tried so hard to make him funny, I wrote the HIM out of him.

That said I do agree with Rhienne. If you make it through again Emperor, you pick up more and more. You have been complaining for a long time about the series however. I have some other recommendations for you when you finish that might be a better fit.

I like everything more on a second readthrough. I know the characters I like, I know how to look at the characters I hate to where I can tolerate them, I know what scenes I like and what I don't like about the scenes that I don't. And all in all it just feels more pleasant when I'm not worrying about how they're going to make a Forsaken look stupid.

I hate surprises and RAFO. I can count the times I've been pleasantly surprised by a revelation that's happened in a film or book on one hand. and only one of those is from WOT (Rand being captured in book 6)

Was it maybe in New Spring when Moiraine and Siaun were buying new dresses after having passed their testing? I don't have the books in front of me so I can't check but I do know there was some discussion about stripes and lace and color and how Moiraine knew the seamstress would get her and Siaun back (for disagreeing with her, I think) by giving Siaun lots of lace and making one or more of Moiraine's dresses a very, very pale blue.

This is true. I just opened my copy of new spring a d there is a full page of discussing what dresses would work for each. The whole account if the fitting from getting to the shop to leaving it was 4 pages.

This is true. I just opened my copy of new spring a d there is a full page of discussing what dresses would work for each. The whole account if the fitting from getting to the shop to leaving it was 4 pages.

ROFLMAO!

• 8 years later...
On 6/26/2013 at 8:52 AM, EmperorAllspice said:

I don't care. I think that's a great line. And why wouldn't someone like Mat say that?

Saidar should totally become a verb.

I kinda feel stupid reading these books. Because with all the forshadowing and stuff it feels like I'm not allowed to read these books for fun or leisure, else I'll miss all the HIDDEN meanings.

Just read it for fun, enjoy the ride.  All the foreshadowing, and subtle events etc are what make re-reads so much fun.     

Honestly it's best to read the books and avoid all these forums altos until after you have finished.   That's how you make the series your own.  Don't worry about missing stuff,  the books are always there and it's fun to be wrong!!  Go. Enjoy. ?